- 4 2 - HAGRID'S SUPERVISION

LORELEI WAS SO HAPPY THE HOLIDAYS WERE AMONG THEM

LORELEI WAS SO HAPPY THE HOLIDAYS WERE AMONG THEM. Professor Dumbledore had pardoned the twins, Lee, and Lorelei's detentions due to holiday spirit and whatnot. She couldn't wait to go in the lake. Her skin was itching for it. And now that there weren't many students, she had gotten Dumbledore's permission if Hagrid was there to keep an eye out on the full moon.

Lorelei smiled brightly at the half-giant when she saw him. Angelina, Lee, Fred, and George were right behind her as they wanted the excuse to be outside at night again. They wouldn't admit it, but they were nervous about the heir of Slytherin fiasco. Even if the targets were Muggleborns, Fred and George said Lorelei may not be safe either. They hated to admit it, but half-breeds were just as loathed as Muggleborns by most.

"'ello, Lorelei, Angelina! 'ow are ya?" Hagrid asked when she approached him. "Ah, Lee, Fred, and George. Not up ter any more trouble, are ye?"

Lorelei smiled and said, "I'm fine, Hagrid. How are you?" just as Fred replied, "Always looking for trouble!"

Hagrid only grinned at the twins and told Lorelei he was alright as well. Lorelei stated, "I won't be long. I'm sure you have better things to do than chaperone us."

"Nonsense! Take yer time, Lorelei!" he sat down with a loud hmmph and called Fang over, his dog.

Lorelei had put on George's shirt (the one she stole when she was eleven) before coming out. So, she quickly hid behind the nearest tree before stripping out of her pants and quickly diving into the water. She relished in the feeling that seemed foreign of her legs binding together.

When she came up for air, she pushed her hair back with a satisfied grin. She saw Fred talking to Hagrid, Lee, and Angelina about her tail to which they all, like most people, found breathtaking.

"Magnificent!" Hagrid said when Fred explained bits about her being a mermaid that he caught on to. Angelina and Lee were just like Hagrid, eyes wide at her tail.

Lorelei smiled at George who had rolled up his pants and stuck his feet in the water. "Aren't you cold, George?"

"Being around you has gotten me used to it," he said with a smirk.

"You really shouldn't have said that," Lorelei said with a devilish smirk. Without giving him a warning, she grabbed his hand and pulled him in the water. He spluttered as he pulled himself up while the others on dry land were laughing. George shivered and pulled himself back on the grass.

"Twit," he muttered while waving his wand with a drying spell he said after.

Angelina was saying how beautiful her tail was while Lee was backing away slightly. He was afraid to be pulled in like George. Fred checked his watch after almost twenty minutes of just enjoying each other's presence. "About ten more minutes, Lor?"

"Sure!" she beamed and decided to take a farther dive. When swimming down, she felt herself be grabbed roughly. Each arm was pulled in the opposite direction as her tail was pulled outward.

A triton was stuck to her throat as a mermaid hissed at her. These were different types of mermaids. Lorelei seemed frightened, but she tried to act confident.

"You scum is not allowed here," the mermaid hissed out. "Old wizard says you swim on the shallow edge. No more!"

"I'm sorry! I didn't know!" Lorelei whimpered when the triton drew a bit of blood.

Lee frowned looking over the edge. Almost the full ten minutes had passed. He looked over at George who also frowned. "Where is she?" Lee dared to ask.

Hagrid mumbled curse words under his breath. She must have swam too far down, he thought. He tried to keep calm while in front of the fourth-years.

"Er... she may 'ave swam too deep," Hagrid said. "The other merfolk don't like outsiders."

"What do we do?" Fred cried out.

"Don't panic! Panickin' won't do any of us good. We'll get Dumble-- What're yer doin'? Oi, don't go down t'ere!"

George took off his shoes and didn't think twice about diving in the lake. Using his wand as a light, he swam as far as he could go. He saw blood in the water making him swim faster. His fear of losing Lorelei was far more important than his fear of drowning.

He had never cast nonverbal spells before. He knew it was a sixth or seventh-year skill, but at that moment, he sent Immobulus using only a wave of his wand. The merfolk attacking her were frozen for only a short time before leaving quickly; the spell worked but only just.

He grabbed Lorelei's arm as she was cut up all over from that bloody triton he saw. She was conscious but barely.

Lorelei felt the incoming pain stop, and she only felt the cuts and bruises already on her. She felt a hand grab her arm and was almost aware of the red-hair.

George couldn't breathe anymore. He was seeing black dots as he tried to hold his breath. He almost thanked Merlin aloud when he saw Fred had jumped into the water after him. Fred's eyes widened and swam down to pull his barely conscious brother and barely conscious Lorelei out of the water.

Once they surfaced, George was thrown toward Hagrid, who easily lifted him out of the water so he could breathe properly. Fred laid Lorelei's upper body on the grass as he tried to think of any healing spells.

Hagrid said they needed to take her to Madam Pomfrey, but she was still a fish, and her shirt was torn up. George frowned once he sat up. It was her favorite shirt.

Hagrid lifted up the mermaid with ease as Angelina pulled off her jacked to lay on top of Lorelei.

George and Fred frowned toward the lake.

"Who was it?" Fred asked.

"Other merfolk, like Hagrid said. She must've swam too deep," George replied. "C'mon. We need to make sure Lorelei got to Madam Pomfrey."