- 1 2 0 - DISENCHANTED

REMUS LUPIN HAD RECEIVED SIRIUS'S PATRONUS WHILE CLEANING HIS HOUSE FROM THE FULL MOON THE PREVIOUS NIGHT

REMUS LUPIN HAD RECEIVED SIRIUS'S PATRONUS WHILE CLEANING HIS HOUSE FROM THE FULL MOON THE PREVIOUS NIGHT. He knew he had to act fast, so he dressed in appropriate clothing before Apparating from his cottage to the Burrow. If there was anywhere Lorelei would be, he figured it would be the water. He heard from Sirius that Umbridge had revoked her water privileges, so he had a feeling.

When he made it to the Burrow, he looked around at the home first to make sure everything was fine. He knew that the Burrow wasn't as protected as Grimmauld Place, and he figured Amatheia would be a target if she was surfaced when someone awful was there.

He began to walk toward the pond when he saw patches of burnt grass.

The burnt grass was growing larger the closer he got, so he broke out into a run to get to the water. It looked like a fight had happened the closer he was to the pond. The patches grew and grew and grew until...

Remus's footsteps halted at the sight in front of him.

Lorelei was asleep over a body, but the mermaid's face was tear-stricken. Her body was frozen in the blanket of snow she laid in. There was no tail, so he knew she had gotten out of the water in time, however, her well-being was at stake. She was not moving, and he feared she had been frozen from the weather.

Remus felt bile rise in his throat when he saw whose body she was sprawled over--whose dead body she was sprawled over.

Remus covered his mouth to keep the sick down as he leaned down and saw Lorelei's wand in the snow a few meters away. Picking up the girl, he felt the soaked, frozen mermaid shake showing signs of life. Her eyelids, crusted over with snow, opened slightly to stare at the werewolf. She began to cry all over again, her tears freezing against her face.

Remus held her to his chest, muttering a warming charm on the girl as she cried. He tried to keep his own tears at bay, but a few managed to fall.

There was no denying the tragedy Lorelei was faced with.

Amatheia Calypso was dead.

"Lor... shh, Lorelei, we need to get out of here. You're freezing, w-we need to tell D-Dumbledore. We need to get her body--"

"SHE'S NOT DEAD, REMUS!" Lorelei's scratchy voice was heard. She needed to get inside soon, for the weather began to pick up as more snow fell from the sky. Remus realized he was no good at this. He couldn't even hold himself together. Holding her to his chest tighter as she screamed and cried, he allowed her to let everything out.

Muttering a Patronus, he sent it to Nymphadora Tonks. Sending it, he hoped the woman would arrive soon. He couldn't keep staring into the lifeless eyes of Amatheia, he couldn't. But he couldn't leave her there either.

"Lorelei, I'm so sorry," he soothed, his voice cracking as his own tears fell more rapidly at her cries. Remus knew that Lorelei was beating herself up on the inside with whatever happened; after all, Lorelei was only seventeen. She hadn't spent enough time with her mother in the past years while she was at Hogwarts. Lorelei cried harder, and Remus felt awful. Amatheia had been Lorelei's rock since she was born. They only really had each other. Remus knew what losing a mother felt like, but Amatheia wouldn't even make it to Lorelei's graduation or see Lorelei get married or have kids. The world was cruel, so very cruel.

About ten minutes of crying from both beasts, the sound of Apparition were heard. The sound of footsteps pounding on the ground around them was next. Then, the unmistakable gasp from Tonks along with a grunt from Mad-Eye Moody.

"Get 'er out of here, Remus," Moody snarled out as Tonks neared Amatheia's body. The mermaid was still with a tail, her chest bare except the ripped cloth that the three Order members could see was from Lorelei's sweater. She had tried to cover her mother.

"NO! REMUS! She's NOT DEAD!" Lorelei screamed out. "SHE CAN'T BE!"

"Remus!" Moody snarled out. "We'll take care of Miss Calypso's body."

"Take care!?" Lorelei growled out, her black eyes glaring at Moody's. "You will leave her alone!"

"Lorelei..." Remus gulped and pulled the girl back to him. "They are just going to prepare her for a proper funeral. We'll bury her properly, however you want. Just let me take you home--"

"SHE'S MY HOME! THIS IS ALL MY FAULT!" Lorelei screamed out.

"Remus," Tonks's soft voice rang through Remus's ear. "Take her to Headquarters."

Remus nodded and didn't give Lorelei a chance to argue. Tonks knew what to do better than anyone. So, without wasting a second, he Apparated to Grimmauld Place, trying to control the squirming girl in his arms. He was surprised the mermaid didn't splinch by the way she was screaming and clawing at his arm. Opening the door quickly, he picked her up bridal style to move her easily from prying eyes. Walburga's portrait screamed until even the terrible old hag stopped at the sight of the mermaid.

Sirius was on his side first, muttering to put her in his bedroom. The twins were fighting Molly, Harry, Ginny, and Ron from coming to Lorelei, who stopped thrashing and screaming. She only sobbed quietly in Remus's chest.

Sirius pushed open his door to his bedroom before leading Remus into his bathroom. Switching the nozzle to warm water, Sirius allowed the tub to fill up before calling Molly. Lorelei was placed gently into the water, clothed and all. The two men left the bathroom as soon as Molly was there.

Lorelei felt numb. Absolutely numb.

Her mother was dead. After Apparating to the Burrow, she relished on the thought of it being a full moon. She happily ran to the pond before halting when she saw a psychotic witch standing near the pond sending the torturing curse at her mother. She tried to fight, Lorelei did. She put Harry's lessons to good use, but Amatheia had put herself between what should have been Lorelei's fate.

Bellatrix Lestrange Apparated away with a twisted smile on her cracked lips.

Now, Lorelei sat in the warm tub, knees drawn to her chest as Molly continued to fill up a cup full of the warm water and letting it fall over her hair. She wasn't cold anymore. She was numb.

Molly heard a knock on the door; Ginny appeared with clothing Sirius pulled from his wardrobe. It was a pair of sweatpants and an old Queen t-shirt, a Muggle band he loved. Molly thanked her daughter before ushering her out of the room.

Molly asked the mermaid if she could undress herself, but Lorelei could only stare at her reflection on the shiny faucet. Amatheia's eyes stared back at Lorelei, mocking her for not being strong enough. She had allowed Lorelei to go to a witch school, and she couldn't even protect her mother.

Molly sighed and changed Lorelei herself. After letting the water out, she dried Lorelei with a spell and helped the girl change.

When Sirius and Remus put Lorelei in the bathroom, they left the room, both too stunned to speak. Harry saw them enter the living room first. He stood up causing Fred, George, Ginny, and Ron, holding Brizo, to stand as well.

"What's happened?"

"Ginny?" Remus spoke softly, ignoring the question from the girl. "Go in Sirius's room and give Molly the clothes sitting on the bed, please?"

Ginny nodded and left.

"W-What happened?" Harry spoke the question burning in all of their minds. "Is she okay?"

Sirius didn't want to say it out loud, but he felt his heart break as the words tumbled from his lips.

"Amatheia is dead."

-
A/N

:(