- 1 7 3 - WHEN EVERYTHING GETS WORSE

"SHE MISSED YOU," Lorelei whispered as she watched George that night

"SHE MISSED YOU," Lorelei whispered as she watched George that night. He effortlessly put Ophelia asleep after a whole day of smothering the baby in affection. "Hated to even look at Embry because he wasn't you."

George sniggered as he walked over to wrap his arms around his beautiful Lorelei. He placed his head in her neck, smelling the sea in her hair from George, Lorelei, Embry, and Ophelia spending the day by the water outside the Cottage. She smiled into his shoulder, holding him tighter when he mumbled, "I missed both you."

"Where the hell have you been?" Lorelei finally whispered, pushing off the conversation all day because of Lia. "Bill has continued to say you were fine, but I didn't believe him."

"Why not?"

"Because when I'm not around you, I never trust that you're okay--not until I see you, at least." George smiled at her timid voice. "I love you."

George was full-on grinning as he captured her lips with his own. Lorelei held his chest firmly as the two seemed to reconnect for the first time in years, but it had only been weeks. When he pulled away, he said, "I love you, too... I have a surprise for you."

Lorelei eyed him wearily. "What's that?"

"Fred and Charlie are visiting tomorrow," he said with a grin.

Lorelei's eyes widened in excitement. "Really?" George nodded. "Oh, I'm so excited. Ophelia will be, too! This is wonderful."

George grinned at her excitement. He stayed the night at Shell Cottage because he truly could not find the will to be away from her for another night. When the small family woke up, Ophelia squealed in excitement to see her father still there, ready to be picked up already by the man. George picked up her happily, placing kisses all over her face, of course, the action causing more squeals to leave the sweet girl's mouth.

When Fred and Charlie arrived, Embry attacked the other twin in a bone-crushing hug. Fred laughed, hugging the sixteen-year-old back. Yes, Embry finally turned sixteen on December twenty-third. Fleur made a cake that day, the eight people there celebrating the American boy. Ophelia didn't know what was going on, but she was loving the attention, specifically from the dragon-tamer. He had brought a dragon stuffed animal for the baby to play with. Everything was perfect as if could be for the day.

For Christmas, Molly and Arthur gave George their gifts for their grandchild, knowing it was too risky to celebrate. Charlie had gone back to his mission and Bill was working in the Ministry (they didn't care about Christmas, after all), so Lorelei helped Fleur make a small dinner for the twins, Embry, herself, Fleur, and Lia.

In January, Fred slipped to Lorelei about the secret broadcast Lee Jordan and the twins had started called Potterwatch. George hadn't told Lorelei in fear of her growing angry just as she was at that moment. She was furious, cursing them out for putting their lives at risk, and then, they hadn't even thought to include her! She frowned, saying, "After everything we have been through, I thought I'd be included in the scheme, boys." George felt bad immediately.

Fred tried to lighten the mood by saying, "Well, it's all right. Lee's house was raided the other day, so we have to find a new headquarters for it."

This caused another uproar from Lorelei. "Is Lee all right!? Was anyone else there? Were either of you there?"

George glared at his brother.

Smiling tentatively, he said, "Yes, we were there. Don't worry, everyone is safe. Lee is looking for a new place to broadcast as we speak."

Lorelei was furious... more so because of the fact that she was stuck like a sitting duck at Shell Cottage when they were fighting and going on missions. She stared at Fred. "I want in. As soon as Lee finds a place-- don't look at me like that, George... I want in."

George tried to argue, but Lorelei won.

Ophelia had started crawling in February. It was Embry who had seen it first. He was playing on the ground with the girl, her red hair growing at an alarming rate. Embry was on his stomach as she was on hers as he playfully growled while holding the stuffed dragon. Ophelia was giggling so much that she reached out to grab it. Little did Embry realize at first that she was crawling toward him.

Fleur squealed excitedly, jumping on the floor to make the baby crawl to her. It was soon a game between Lorelei, George, Fleur, and Embry. Ophelia began to grow dizzy from all of the crawlings, so George sniggered and picked her up.

Kissing her cheek, he said, "Bill was right. She makes your faces, Lor."

Lorelei rolled her eyes as she stood just as Bill Apparated into Shell Cottage. Fleur gave him the question she always had prepared for him but faltered at the look on his face. "Bill? What's wrong?"

Bill looked to Lorelei then to Embry. Sighing, he walked forward to the group, stopping in front of the two merfolk. Lorelei gulped. "What is it, Bill?"

"E-Embry, I'm sorry--"

"No," he said, cutting the eldest Weasley offspring off.

"Embry, they were caught in a mass Death Eater attack--"

"NO!" Embry fell over, tears leaving his eyes immediately. Lorelei handed Ophelia to Fleur quickly, falling over as well to pull Embry into her hold. The boy sobbed loudly, Lorelei trying her best to stay strong for the boy.

"--in London... Your parents were on their way to the joke shop, knowing George or Fred would be there. Diagon Alley was attacked," Bill closed his eyes in pain before turning to George. "The shop was targeted, George."

George sucked in a breath. "Fred. Is Fred all right?"

Bill smiled tightly. "He and Verity fought off some wizards before becoming heavily outnumbered. Verity was being tortured by Dolohov, but Fred jumped in the way. Verity soon found her wand and Apparated the two of them to the Burrow. Fred's fine... the Cruciatus leaves more of an emotional mark than physical."

George turned to Lorelei. "I-I'm sorry, Embry. I need to go c-check on him, all right?" He hated to leave Embry when the boy had just heard his parents were dead, but this was Fred. He had no choice but to go check on him. Kissing Ophelia quickly, he left to go find his brother.

-
A/N

Hello! Today (where I am in the world) is September 17th! Today is Ophelia's birthday and mine! So, as a treat, I'll be uploading two more chapters of March to the Sea and another chapter of Time Turner! Have a wonderful day, and happy reading!