- 1 5 4 - TO REACH SOUTH AMERICA

LORELEI TOLD THE FAMILY THAT THERE WERE MERFOLK THERE TO MEET THEM

LORELEI TOLD THE FAMILY THAT THERE WERE MERFOLK THERE TO MEET THEM. This instantly made Remus grin. Bill had sent him a Patronus, telling him Lorelei had made it safely home for that week. The family hadn't realized how much of an effect Lorelei had on them, for they didn't know what to do with themselves half the time without her.

Lorelei swam up, introducing her grandparents first. Molly had brought shirts, offering Clara one, but the fish denied while keeping her chest in the water. "These are Mum's parents. I found them first in Italy's waters. Florence and Clara, this is my family: Part of the Weasleys and Remus Lupin; the werewolf."

Remus's eyes widened, but the couple smiled warmly at him. Florence nodded appreciatively. "Thank you for looking after her, Remus. She tells us nothing but good things of you and a Molly and Arthur Weasley. I assume that's you, Mrs. Weasley?"

"Call me Molly," she assured, smiling at them.

Lorelei then made Bethany come to the surface, the mermaid taking one of Lorelei's shirts to wear while
she met the family. "This is Bethany. She also came from their colony, and she's ready to help with anything."

George still has yet to leave the waters no matter how cold he was, holding Lorelei's hand as if she would disappear any moment.

Clara smirked knowingly at her husband as Lorelei introduced Bill, Charlie, Fred, and George, Lorelei smiling lovingly at the last one. Soon after, the Weasleys and Remus decided to leave George and Fred with the merfolk for a moment before she would have to leave again. Remus said he would tell Dumbledore of her progress, hopefully allowing her to come up after South America's trip. Lorelei smiled tightly at her godfather saying that she wouldn't have much luck, but they would try anyway.

When those left, Clara finally cracked saying, "Has he proposed yet?" as Florence said, "How do you tell them apart?"

Fred and George sniggered, Fred leaving the waters unlike his crazy-in-love brother. Lorelei blushed but nodded. "Yes, he proposed before I left. George has darker eyes than Fred," she said, answering both questions.

George allowed Lorelei to lean on him, his arms wrapping around her waist. He felt odd with her tail on him, but he didn't mind.

They spoke for a while, Bethany asking Fred, George,
and Lorelei many questions about the wizarding world. Clara gave Lorelei a look soon enough, and Lorelei knew it was time to go. Tightening her arms around George, she turned and smiled at him.

His eyes fell, knowing what was coming. She caressed his face lovingly before saying, "I won't be here next week. South America with so many stops will take longer than a week." Fred frowned from behind George, Lorelei smiling slightly at him as well. "Don't worry, you two. I'll be back before you know it."

Fred snorted. "Two weeks? You should've seen him just a week away from you."

"Shut up," George growled out, facing his brother to whack him on his leg. Turning back to Lorelei, he smiled softly. "I love you."

"Love you," she mumbled as he hugged her again. After a hug from Fred and a wave from the family at the Burrow, the four merfolk were on their way to South America with Lorelei's heart a bit heavier as she left.

There were many colonies like Mira and Hosier's, aggressive toward Lorelei immediately, but Lorelei pushed through it. There was nothing she could do about her lineage because she was born a half-breed; what could she do? Clara continued to rant about how it wasn't Lorelei's fault for being born, but Florence sighed and responded the merfolk think they are punishing the parents by hurting the child. Lorelei frowned and thought about how both her parents were dead, they were only hurting her for no reason besides to do it. Bethany said many merfolk, like her father, tell stories about half-breeds. They make half-breeds out to be like Mira, vicious and conniving. Lorelei couldn't wait to get back to the surface.

She didn't know how much more tail-pulling and throat-clutching she could take.

The four swam faster than ever, days turned into a week until they finally reached South America. Florence made them stop at two more colonies on the way, sparking interest in a man and a woman, but their parents forbid it. Lorelei almost longed for them to be as bold as Bethany and leave, but she knew not every merfolk would do that.

Florence decided they should rest that Friday evening and see the council bright and early on Saturday. There was no rush because it would be a straight shot back to Ottery St. Catchpole afterward.

Lorelei was braiding Bethany's hair while her grandparents decided to go find some food in the nearby colony they had yet to go in. Lorelei and Bethany stayed hidden in a cave they found. Bethany sighed dramatically as she floated, her hair now twisting and tying beautifully.

"What's the matter, Beth?" Lorelei hummed, taking a piece of seaweed near her to tie the hair up. She found shells and began to line them in her hair.

Bethany frowned. "I just want to make a difference. I want my life to mean something."

"You'll see how different the wizarding world is. Did the Weasleys seem nice?" Lorelei asked. Clara expressed how excited she was for Lorelei to be marrying George, but Florence only smiled tightly at the idea of Lorelei staying on land forever. A part of him longed for her to stay in the water, but she was too much like Amatheia; she craved adventure. He approved of the boy as much as he could for their short conversation, but he hoped to get to know him better as time went on.

Bethany nodded to Lorelei's question. "They were all very nice. You said the tall man with blonde hair was a werewolf? R-Remus Lupine?"

"Remus Lupin, yes."

"He doesn't seem terrifying at all." Bethany hated how her father lied to her about half-breeds. There were two exceptions right there; Lorelei and Remus.

"He's the biggest teddy bear I know," Lorelei teased, tapping Bethany's shoulder and adding, "your hair looks great, love."