- 1 4 5 - MOMENT AT THE POND

HARRY TOOK A SEAT NEXT TO LORELEI THE DAY BEFORE CHRISTMAS EVE

HARRY TOOK A SEAT NEXT TO LORELEI THE DAY BEFORE CHRISTMAS EVE. Everyone was at the Burrow still, as the shop was closed for the holidays, and she finally convinced George to go hang out with just Fred. She didn't want Fred to think he would never have an alone moment with his brother again. She was glad for this moment alone, however, as the boy who lived sat next to her, she leaned her head on his shoulder gratefully. He was always there for her, even without realizing he was.

She was worried. After Christmas, she had three days before the full moon. Harry noticed how tense she was, but he had no idea about the mission.

"What's bothering you?" he asked quietly, noticing Ginny walking past the living room. She smiled once at him before quickly leaving. "Lor?"

Lorelei smiled slightly, watching the flames lick the wood furiously. She sat up and looked over at Harry. "Nervous. Worried."

"About?"

"Dumbledore gave me a mission, and it won't be... easy," she said, trying not to worry him as much as George was worried. Harry immediately tensed up. "I have to leave three days after Christmas."

"Just you? What the hell kind of mission is this?" he asked, already fearing the worse.

Lorelei snorted at his tone, knowing she already failed with trying not to worry him. "Yes, just me. I'm going back in the water for a few months. Dumbledore wants me to try and connect with the merfolk."

"Didn't you say the merfolk--"

"Are vicious? Hate half-breeds probably more than Umbridge herself? Will never agree to a truce with the wizarding world? Yeah," Lorelei muttered, feeling herself becoming more dejected about her mission. She was worried.

Harry snarled out, "So Dumbledore's sending you on a suicide mission? They'll rip you apart!"

"Thanks for the confidence, Harry," Lorelei said with a small grin and a shake of her head. "Yes, it'll be difficult, but I'll bring my wand. I don't want you to worry too much about me." She nudged his side playfully, but he only gave her a deadpanned look.

Harry rolled his eyes. "You can't tell me not to worry, Lor. What about George? What does he say about it?"

Lorelei bit her lip thinking about her boyfriend. She replied after a moment, "He wasn't happy at first, but he knows I have to do it. More for my pride, I guess, but I do want to be of help. You know merfolk have tempers... they could kill witches and wizards brutally. They also are really good healers, if there is a war and lots of lives hurt... I don't know. I just feel good to be of some use."

Harry understood no matter how much he didn't like it.

When Christmas Eve came, Lorelei spent it in a more solemn mood than the others, but it was still a good time. There wasn't much talk of Lorelei's mission as Remus, Fred, George, and Harry wanted to keep Lorelei's mind at bay for once. After presents, Lorelei and George went to take a walk around the Burrow's grounds. The pond was their next stop, and George hesitated before continuing his pace when he saw hers not faltering. He didn't want her to be more upset than she already was.

She saw down by the same tree George and Lorelei always sat under when they were young. Amatheia would come up and tease them, Brizo would scold them when they stayed out too late, and Fred would join at some point causing Brizo to either glare heatedly at the boy or snuggle into his neck depending on Brizo's mood. Everything was different now.

Lorelei took off her shoes and pulled up her legging before putting her feet into the water. Her body temperature redirected itself as she laid back to stare at the stars. George followed her actions by laying down, but he did not put his feet in the frozen pond water.

"Sirius is watching, look how his star is twinkling," Lorelei said after a moment. George stayed quiet as she moved her feet in the water causing a small sound of a splash to be heard. "I miss him."

"I know, my love," he whispered, worried his voice would ruin the silence. He watched her as she watched the stars. She began to quietly name the stars in Sirius's constellation before moving onto Leo, where her father's star twinkled. She continued this for a while, and he could see that it was a calming method for her. She was overwhelmed being in the spot where her mother died, so she was looking to the stars for guidance as she and her mother always did.

He felt this all-consuming love fill him. He adored these moments where she just was herself. Her hair was sprawled behind her like a fan, her eyes bright as she named stars. Her voice was like chocolate, soft and velvety to his ears. He wanted more of these moments, and he couldn't help but think the war looming over their head would take everything they held dear away from them. With Voldemort targeting Lorelei, he felt as if he would lose her any minute.

She turned to look at him, smiling slightly and words faltering at the intense gleam in his eyes. He raised his hand and lightly brushed her cheek with it, savoring the feeling of her skin against his. He traced a finger over her lips lightly as her breathing picked up at the feeling. He grinned a bit. He loved her so much. He wanted a life with her, marriage, kids, and to grow old. He wanted little merbabies or witch-babies. He wanted a life after this war, but he didn't even know if they would have it after the war. He didn't know if they would survive, but that wouldn't stop him.

He continued to stroke her face gently as her eyes shut under his touch, but a small smile graced her face when he placed a light kiss on her forehead.

Before he could stop himself, he blurted, "I want to marry you, Lorelei."