- 6 3 - EXPECTO PATRONUM

THEY HAD MOVED TO GET A CLEARER VIEW OF THE WHOMPING WILLOW

THEY HAD MOVED TO GET A CLEARER VIEW OF THE WHOMPING WILLOW. Lorelei had learned that was where Remus went to transform and where Harry had found out the truth. They watched as Ron was dragged into the secret passageway by Sirius with Harry and Hermione following.

"Charming bloke," Lorelei said with sarcasm dripping off of her tongue. "He dragged me into a classroom for food. Must be a thing he enjoys, dragging people. Put his dirty hand on my face, the wanker."

Harry smiled amusedly at her, but Hermione looked horrified.

"You knowingly helped who we thought was a murderer?"

"Twice. He was a lovely stray when I first met him by the lake. Oh, Remus was not happy that day," Lorelei said with a grin thinking of the Defense teacher. She hoped he would be alright after tonight.

"Remus? Since when are you on a first-name basis?" Hermione questioned with a horrified gleam in her eye.

Lorelei rolled her eyes. "Montague spread that rumor when all Remus and I were doing was searching for evidence to prove Sirius's innocence. We've become close, but not in that way, 'Mione, Neptune! He's become a lovely stand-in father figure."

"He gives me that feeling as well," Harry muttered, heat creeping up his face. He had never admitted this to anyone either. "I-I've never had a father figure. Lupin knew my dad, and well, it feels nice when he acts as if he cares about me."

"It's not an act," Lorelei said with a smile and put an arm around his shoulder. "He does care."

They spoke about the apparent dementors that had attacked Harry and Sirius after watching Lupin and Snape follow the Golden Trio and Sirius into the Whomping Willow. Harry tried to explain that it was a really powerful Patronus that sent them all away, and Hermione agreed that it must have been a really powerful wizard. Harry admitted he thought it was his father.

Lorelei saw Hermione sending him a questioning glance after she told him the obvious--James was dead. After a moment, Lorelei pulled Harry closer to her. "It could've been his dad. We won't know until later," she said trying to make the boy feel better. He felt like an idiot, and Hermione wasn't making him feel any better.

Once they saw the lovely group of people emerge from the Whomping Willow (Snape unconscious. Remus, Pettigrew, and Ron clambering out awkwardly tied together. Hermione. Then, Sirius and Harry), Harry drew his wand and pulled away from Lorelei. Hermione told the boy there was nothing they could do even though Harry really wanted to go get Pettigrew now. Pettigrew would escape, there was no finding him in the dark. They were only to save Sirius, and Harry had to be okay with that for now.

"Hermione!" Harry said suddenly. "We've got to move!"

"We mustn't. I keep telling you--"

"Not to interfere! Lupin's going to run into the forest, right at us!"

That was all it took for the trio and Buckbeak to begin moving fairly quickly away. Harry decided to go back to Hagrid's. After making it into the hut, Buckbeak found himself comfortably in front of the fire like he was ready for a nap. Lorelei envied the damn pigeon.

"I think I'd better go outside again," Harry said slowly. "I can't see what's going on--we won't know when it's time."

Hermione glanced at him suspiciously.

"I'll come with. I won't let him interfere, Hermione," she promised before following the boy who lived out the door. Hermione would wait with Buckbeak.

Harry grabbed Lorelei's hand and began to pull her in the direction of her lake. Oh, how she would love a good dip and transform. Knowing Remus was out there was slightly off-putting, but even that couldn't distract her skin from itching.

"Where are we--"

"I just need to see," he said. They drew nearer to the lake, and Lorelei gasped at the intense feeling in her skin. It felt like it was on fire. Harry watched her face tighten into a sour expression and her grip tighten on his hand. "We won't take long here. I'm sorry."

Lorelei nodded. She had never felt the itch of her skin this bad on a full moon. She supposed it had to do with the fact that she was so close to the lake and had no intention of going in it. They paused when they saw a flicker of light from the other side of the lake. Lorelei gasped at the hundreds of dementors that suddenly surrounded the lake. She crouched in fear.

Lorelei felt tears fill her eyes watching Harry's futile attempts to get rid of them.

"Harry, you're both dying," she said watching Sirius's face being sucked in different directions. She saw Harry's face do the same a few seconds later.

"I-I tried to fight them off. I couldn't." A few moments later, Harry gave up with his attempts and began to wobble as if he was about to fall unconscious. Harry began to mutter, "Come on! Where are you, dad?"

"Harry, no one is coming," Lorelei mumbled the truth even if it pained her to see his painted expression. They watched as one of the dementors neared and began to take off its hood, ready to perform the kiss on both of them.

Harry pushed away from Lorelei suddenly, making the girl fall back as she watched Harry run forward and pull out his wand. Without wasting a second, he yelled.

"EXPECTO PATRONUM!"

Lorelei watched in awe as the most blinding light came from the tip of his wand. It was a stag. A stag galloped across the frozen lake pushing away all the dementors away from the two innocent bodies. The light was blinding as Harry held the spell until every dementor was gone.

Harry whispered, "Prongs."

Hermione helped Lorelei up as Buckbeak sprinted in the forest behind them. She began to scold Harry, but Harry was only smiling as he said, "I knew I could do it this time because, well, I'd already done it. Does that make sense?"

Lorelei smiled softly at the boy as they watched Snape bring all the unconscious bodies back to the castle. It was almost time to save Sirius.