𝟒.𝟗

┌─────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───────┐

└─────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───────┘

DUE to cedric's hint, both harry and evelyn had figured out the clue for the second trial.

whenever the competitors opened up the golden egg that they had snatched from the dragons, it screeched like there was no tomorrow.

but if you had put it under water and listened, the egg actually sang a little tune.

"come seek us where our voices sound,
we cannot sing above the ground.
and while you are searching, ponder this;
we've taken what you'll sorely miss.
an hour long you'll have to look,
and recover what we took.
but past an hour—the prospect's black,
too late, it's gone, it won't come back".

evelyn and harry had figured out that it referred to the lake that was filled with merpeople.

though both fourth-years had spent hours upon hours pondering on how they were suppose to stay under water for a full hour, dobby—who was recently hired to work in the kitchen with winky—had informed them of the powers of gillyweed.

"gillyweed?? perhaps we should ask neville for help!!", evelyn suggested.

ron and hermione were summoned away by professor mcgonagall a few hours before the competition, leaving only harry and evelyn to figure things out on their own.

so with the stress of the competition coming up, neville had complied to helping both fellow fourth-years.

"I'm not sure if it'll work though...", neville hesitantly said as the three had walked to the dock that was near the river.

harry had a face of disbelief while evelyn just smiled and patted the boy's back.

"no worries neville! I'm sure it'll work!"

evelyn and harry then swallowed the gillyweed, almost choking from the disgusting taste of it.

with the blow of a whistle, the four 17 and 18 year-olds had already jumped into the lake.

evelyn and harry were pushed in by moody, feeling their bodies ache and grow gills from the side of their necks.

their toes and fingers had a slimy feeling between them, creating webs. to describe them in one word would be ugl—I mean merpeople.