Chapter 10: The plan

And another late freaking chapter

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had spent a while explaining the second tribe of Normals who had taken the surviving Frog and I.

Mikey had wanted to know everything I had observed about them, Their numbers, How many had horses, How many slept that night.

I had no clue why he wanted to know all of this, But he seemed to be calculating something in his mind as I answered each question to the best of my ability.

Once I had answered his questions he finally spoke.

''We need to get you and that Frog back to our tribe. . .'' He said slowly, Getting up from the stream bank and walking back towards his house.

I followed close at his heels, Wanting to hear the plan I was sure had been brewing in his mind this whole time.

''Theo. Will you be able to face your captors again?'' Mikey asked, Pausing in the middle of his hallway to face me as he spoke.

I could feel a sense of dread forming in my stomach.

Would I be able to go back?

I really didn't want to, However, The thought of that poor Frog being at their mercy made up my mind for me.

''Yeah. I'll be able to face them, Why?'' I asked, My voice thankfully not betraying my nerves by wavering.

He nodded slowly before heading over to one of the doors.

I followed behind him anxiously, Awaiting an answer from the man.

Instead, He opened the door, Revealing a room filled with Drawers seemingly built into the very walls.

''Is this what I think it is?'' I asked quietly, My eyes wide with awe.

Back at our tribe, Our - albeit small - armory was structured like this, Our weapons and plant armor was always stored in drawers instead of on proper armor stands.

 Unlike the tribes of Normals we've seen, Our tribe chooses to wear armor made of plants, It was lighter then metal and it allowed far more movement as it could actually bend with us.

It didn't always protect us but then again, Our style of fighting never favored the type of close combat required to actually break our armor.

He glanced back at me before heading over to a drawer and opening it.

Inside was the armor he had been given when he chose to leave the tribe years ago.

I reverently ran my fingers over the helmet, The only part of our complex armor that was actually solid.

The wooden thing was in almost as good of condition as the day I had given it to him as farewell present.

''We're going to get our friend back'' He declared, Picking up the helmet and sliding it on.

I felt my heart skip a beat slightly as he stared down at me with the same protective fire that had originally made me think I had loved him.

I did love him, And I still do, But not in the romantic way I had assumed I did when I was young.

''What can I do?'' I asked as he turned back around, Getting out the rest of his armor.

The preserves we use on our plant armor had to be reapplied once every week, The fact his armor looked nearly as good as when he left spoke volumes about how much he tended to it.

''You will need to be our bait'' He stated bluntly.

''Oh. . .'' I whispered quietly, The dread returning full force.

I watched him as he pulled his sword out of one of the drawers, The thing was a broadswords and the only sword our tribe had ever made in centuries.

The thing was made for close combat, It was large and unwieldy but it could bash in armor and break blades with a good single swing.

It was a close quarters killing machine.

He glanced back at me before going to another drawer and pulling something cloth covered out.

''Here, A Normal tried to shank me a few days after I was out on my own, You can use his blade, If things go bad, Stab whoever is in your way and bolt out of there, I'll handle everything else.'' He said as he pushed the leather covered knife into my open palm.

cautiously, I pulled it out of it's sheath, My eyes widening at the wicked gleam coming from the onyx black blade.

''What. . .What happened to the Normal? Did he drop this?'' I asked, Already knowing the answer.

Mikey let out a cold huffed chuckle, A grin forming on his face.

''Yup, Also dropped his head too. . .Shame they can't handle the consequences of their actions.'' Mikey said coldly as he finished grabbing the weapons he needed.

''Let's go. We can't allow them much rest or they might pose even more of a threat.'' He said as he brushed past me.

I inhaled as deeply as I could, His scent was faint, Like other were, But I could still smell the burnt cedar smell of his scent.

I let out a heavy breath before following him out of the house begrudgingly.

Funny. . . Mr. Yellow eyes smelled stronger then others. . .

I shook off the implications that had.

The last thing I needed was to think I was somehow supposed to be with a Normal in any way.

It was probably just my mind being desperate for something to keep me safe from my captor. . .

I followed Mikey and shifted into my first form, Pointedly ignoring the fact my fur was standing on end fearfully, My soft grey colored feathers ruffled.

The sun was setting, It's colored staining the sky with reds and oranges as if some great beast in the sky had been slain, It's blood spilling out with the setting sun.

I shook off the feeling of doom that thought brought on before taking flight after Mikey into the sky.

With quick wingbeats, Mikey headed in the direction of the camp with me in tow.

We got this. . . I hope. . .

--------------------------------------------------------------

And ya'll know this is gonna fail somehow, Any guesses how?

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen