Chapter 84: Conversation

One more chapter left before the idiots return :)

---------------------------------------------------------------

My days started to follow a pattern after that.

Day was spent dealing with the kingdom and it's assorted issues.

The loyalty growing among my people was. . .A bit concerning. . .But not nearly as concerning as the rumors of a planned coup when Aldo returns was.

My guards were dealing with it. . .But still, by the time night comes, I am always stressed and all exhausted.

Night was spent with Evander down in the dungeons.

Sometimes, I'd just sit there silently as he ate his meal and watched me, his scent soothing a more primal and feral part of me.

Other times. . .We'd chat with each other.

''You have adapted impressively well to an entirely new existence, while my people are not nearly as accepting as these folks, I'm sure you will settle in in record time'' Evander rumbled out one night while I waited for him to finish.

Frowning slightly, I turned my attention away from my daughter and towards the man who was continuing to speak, ignoring the look I was directing his way.

''I'll need to speak with my council about having some of our softest textiles brought in for our daughter. . .And better looking garments for you as well. . .It's been a while since I've needed to have custom cloths made for someone'' Evander continued as I stared at him in pure shock.

Excuse you?

''Firstly. I like the clothes I have. I don't need 'better looking ones'. Secondly. What makes you think I'll be joining you returning to your clan?'' I questioned, my feathers bristled at his audacity.

How dare he.

''I am your destined mate. It's purely fate that you return with me. If you want though, I can wait until after I have hunted you, it is tradition'' Evander 'reasoned', speaking as if he was doing me a favor with waiting until after hunting me.

Rolling my eyes, I arched my wings around my egg as I scowled at him, watching as his gaze was drawn to my child. . .A 'look' flashing in his eyes.

''Surely Adelaide would prefer to live in her father's kingdom-'' Evander started to say before I harshly cut him off.

''Adelaide?? Who told you her name would be Adelaide??'' I demanded irately, jumping to my feet as I spoke.

Usually our conversations were light and easy, allowing me to relax.

''It is family tradition that every firstborn girl is named Adelaide-'' Evander started to say, standing as well, his shoulders squaring as he started to spread his wings out a bit.

But sometimes. . .Evander shows off his audacity with his assumptions.

''Well my family has a naming tradition as well. It goes like this: 'the parents are the ones who choose their child's name.' '' I sassed back, upset at the other man trying to name my only child.

How dare he.

A dark chuckle left the other man as I stormed out of the dungeon, the sound following me up the stairs.

--- Time skip ---

''You didn't visit yesterday'' Evander commented when I stepped down the spiraling staircase and into sight of his cage.

''Yeah well, I really didn't like you trying to name my child without any input from me nor my mates'' I muttered, trying to act tough despite having caved to my instincts and their wish to have my mate's scent nearby after just a day.

The other man arched an eyebrow before slowly approaching the bars of his cell as I passed his food through the little door.

He usually waited until I backed away before he went to grab his food. . .Not today though.

A hand reached between the bars to lightly trail over the nape of my neck as I bent down to slide his food in to him.

Shivering, I quickly stumbled back away from him, retreating towards the stairs as I stared at him wide eyed, my hands moving to clutch my egg in her sling.

The other man was leaning on the bars, watching me with a light in his eyes, a hunger that. . .Scared me.

It's. . .It's time for me to leave. . .I gotta leave!

''I am to be your mate. Why are you so hung up on waiting for two random men who left you to run a kingdom while you were with child.'' Evander questioned, making me pause at the bottom most step of the stairs.

Frowning, I slowly turned to stare at him, watching him as I tried to gauge what kind of mood he was in.

Unfortunately, the scarred man was as easy to read as a stone slab.

''They aren't 'random men', they're my mates. They're my mates in the same way you have a chance of becoming my mate and I love them so very much. If I didn't I wouldn't put up with half of the shit I've had to deal with!'' I hissed out, my wings arching over my head the further into my rant I got, agitated.

Evander remained silent the entire time, even when my voice rose to a yell, he remained silent, only a faint look of surprise on his face giving away how he was feeling.

After a moment of both of us being silent, he finally spoke.

''I see. . .'' He muttered slowly, a critical light in his eyes as he looked me up and down, seemingly seeing me in a potentially new light.

But. . .I wasn't done.

After everything that's happened to me. . .I just. . .Let loose the floodgates.

''No. You don't see. I gave up everything to be here! I left my home! My tribe! My very life behind to be here. I didn't have to! I won my hunt! I'm a free person! But I still came here and I stayed here! Despite everything that's happened! The concubines mocking and belittling me! My mate ignoring me for our newest partner! The assassination attempt! Feeling like I don't belong here! I stayed through it all. Everything! That's why I'm so 'hung up' on these 'random men'. '' I ranted, tears in my eyes as all that I've been bottling up bubbled over.

A look of disgust flashed across Evander's face as I started to cry, a sneer on his lips.

---------------------------------------------------------

:) One more chapter before Aldo and Jude are back!

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen