Chapter 80: Annoyance

Annd an entire chapter of Theo fixing shit and the servants/people falling more and more in love with their new leader :D

------------------------------------------------------------------

The council has been very busy.

Sending the less powerful families into poverty and causing entire towns to nearly die by forcing them to give more of their produce and supplies then they can afford to give. . .All so the council can go sell it and turn a profit which they've been keeping for their own.

Their own people be damned.

I was livid upon learning of this, who could do something so terrible to their own people?? Aldo's head council apparently. . .

Unfortunately, I could not dismiss them from their ranks in the kingdom, only Aldo can. . .However, none of the soldiers would bat an eye if there were new 'prisoners' down in the dungeons all of a sudden.

With all that in mind, I had a lot of work to do.

--- Time skip ---

It took all day, and a lot of help from servants who assisted in the various tasks of running this kingdom and knew much more about it than the council seemed to, but fineally, all those who had come to speak with my mate were appeased, solutions for their problems found and started, much to their relief.

I was happy that I managed to help them out. . .Tired and in pain, but happy none the less. . .However, my work wasn't done quite yet.

The fact that so many people had been harmed due to the greed of a few, powerful people. . .It was wrong and made me worry, what else has been going on? Who else might be silently suffering?

I can't rest just yet. . .

''Sophia'' I called out quietly, the woman having never left my side this entire time was instant to respond with a questioning hum.

I could see the soldiers scattered around the room turn to give me more of their attention, more than a few of them looking worried.

Sitting up straighter, I did my best to hold back a wince as my advisor and friend moved to help me stand.

''How many people have I seen today?'' I questioned quietly, leaning heavily on her as I did so.

I was hungry, sore and feeling quite queasy.

''You've spoken with twenty people requiring assistance today, my lord'' She murmured as the other servants moved closer, causing the guards to growl quietly, still overprotective of me.

''What can we help you with my lord? Would you like a bath? Something to eat?'' One of the servant boys -Jackie- asked, he was the one who mostly managed the numbers for the kingdom's exports.

I shook my head, giving the worried blonde a strained smile.

''No, thank you. Though, tell me, how many towns have not sent people to ask for help?'' I asked quietly of those gathered around me, moving to lean on Andrew as the guard held his arm out for me, his brow creased slightly with worry.

The other guards had shifted closer, tightening their circle of protection around me and the gathered servants.

''Um, well. . .About thirty remain, why do you ask my lord?'' Jackie questioned, glancing over at the other servants worriedly as he spoke.

Nodding slightly, I let out a sigh before trying to stand up straighter, wishing to appear more respectable and less beaten down then I felt.

''Then we've got a lot of work to do, Alexi? Will you please let Andre and Mary in the stables know to saddle up some horses for us? If we get going now-'' I started to order before being cut off by a chorus of 'no!'s from those gathered around me.

I blinked dumbly as Azzy rushed forwards to explain to me even as the others were still protesting my request.

''My lord, Theo, please. You need to rest, to eat! We'd be more than happy to fetch the horses and take you to the towns, but not until you've been cleared for travel by the healer'' Azzy pleaded, moving to help Andrew carefully move me back to the throne to sit back down without jostling my egg.

I was about to protest to their worry when I was instantly spoken over by Sophia sending some of the relieved servants to go fetch some food from the kitchens and find where the healer was.

''Do I not get a say in this?'' I questioned as lightly as my pained voice could manage, making the others gathered around give me weary and somewhat scared looks, clearly expecting me to be genuinely mad at them.

Sophia on the other hand, knew I was harmless, instantly moving to push me further back into the throne, making me recline more or less against my will.

''No you do not. Not until the healer clears you'' Sophia stated matter of factly, her hands resting on both of the armrests, right over my wrists, keeping me in place.

I opened my mouth a few times before letting out a disappointed sigh.

''Fine, is there anything that can be done to assure the other towns that we'll be out to check on them soon though?'' I requested, watching as the servants and guards gathered around relaxed slightly as Sophia released my wrists.

Gently, I covered my egg with both my hands, cradling my child close to my chest as those around me slowly relaxed back into the casual conversation they had been in previously.

''So, do you have any ideas on names for your little one?'' A quiet voice asked next to me, drawing my attention to Martha -one of the servants who had been documenting my orders- who was currently dragging a chair to place near the throne so she could sit down.

''Not really. . .I'll be honest, that was my whole and only reason to come down here in the first place. . .I wanted to ask for any ideas'' I explained quietly, watching as excitement lit up her eyes, my words drawing the attention of a few other servants as they also cautiously pulled chairs close to the throne I was sitting on.

''Oh! Oh! We can make some lists and start narrowing it down from there!'' Max -another one of the servants, who was pretty  much just hanging out with us- offered, gaining agreement from the others, including the guards who were leaning on the backs of the chairs.

A small, peaceful smile form on my face as I listened in as my new family started offering a whole slew of names.

I was sore, tired, hungry and a bit forlorn. . .But I was also content with where I was.

With my people.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this a set up for Theo getting to explore Aldo's kingdom and bond with many new people while an army marches closer and Aldo is far far away? maybe.

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen