Chapter 54: Concern

Mmm, Late chapter. . .Theo Pov still!

---------------------------------------------------------------

I felt sick.

Sophia, Jude, The concubines and I were standing together inside the small hut, Hidden somewhere far from the castle.

The sun had set a while ago and there was still no message from the palace on who had won the fight.

To say I was worried would be a severe understatement.

Jude looked resigned, And as much as I wanted to comfort him, I had no idea how to even go about it.

I can't promise anything to make him feel better. . .I don't know what to say to comfort him. . .

Letting out a stressed sigh, I stepped out of the hut for some fresh air.

I had heard more than enough of Sophie and the other concubines planning out their future with their new leader.

Already assuming Aldo would fail.

Sophia was outside too when I stepped out, She didn't seem inclined to gossip with the other concubines.

''Anything?'' I asked quietly, Making my way over to the moss covered rock that Sophia was perched on.

She shook her head, Shifting out of her first form and back into her second so we could talk.

''Nothing. . .Not even a smoke signal. . .'' She whispered, Worry evident in her voice.

I nodded sadly, Laying down across the rock as I did so.

''The others don't think he's going to win'' I muttered, My tone more dejected than I intended.

She glanced down at me, Arching an eyebrow.

''What do you think?'' She asked, Equally quiet.

The air felt almost electric with our whispered words, As if us so much as speaking about this was temping fate.

''. . .I. . .I know he's strong. . .And I think that he can easily defeat Quinn in a fair fight. . .But. . .I don't believe he's going to fight fair. . .'' I admitted quietly, Absently rubbing at the scabs that covered the scratches on my face.

Her eyes tracked my movement, Narrowing slightly as she stared at the still fresh wounds.

''You know he's planning on sacrificing himself. . .'' I hissed out, Doing my best to cover my concern with frustration.

''I'm not surprised. . .He's always so stupidly determined to protect those he cares for at any cost'' She muttered, A small, Sad smile quirking at her lips.

''. . .It doesn't make any sense though. . .If we were there maybe we could. . .I dunno, Make sure the fight is fair? Help him?? Anything other then just waiting around for the bell of fate to toll'' I muttered, Scrubbing at my face in my frustration.

''. . .Why are you so concerned for him? You'll be fine, You can easily escape Quinn. . .'' Sophia pointed out, Making my blood briefly start to boil.

''I'm concerned because if Aldo looses then he's at that other man's mercy. . .And I doubt that man has much if any mercy inside him'' I shot back, The downy feathers on my wings bristling slightly in my annoyed outrage.

She tilted her head slightly, A glint in her eyes.

''Careful. . .It almost sounds like you care about him'' She teased quietly before looking up to the starry sky above.

''Makes me wonder. . .Why you still refuse to be with him when you clearly care'' She muttered, Her eyes trained on the stars.

I opened my mouth, My go to excuse right on the tip of my tongue, 'I don't know him well enough yet'.

But, Before I could speak, I realized, My excuse was just that, A hallow, Empty lie that only existed to shield me from having to look into my emotions.

After all. . .If I wanted to know him better then a relationship would be the perfect place to start. . .

Looking down at my hands, My frown slowly deepened.

I'm scared. . .But. .. Of what?

Of Aldo? No. Of course not. 

Sure, He was dangerous, He could very easily turn me into Homigriff confetti. . .But, He's proven more than once that he's not going to force himself on me or kill me. . .

Was I scared of caring about him?

No. . .If that were the case then I've already lost. . .After all. . .You don't stay up all night worrying about the safety of someone you don't care about.

 I. . .Was scared of myself.

More accurately. . .I was scared that I wouldn't fit in. . .That I'd grow feelings for Aldo yet be nothing more to him then another thing to stick his dick in.

I was scared I'd make a fool of him. . .Endanger him due to not knowing how to act. . .

Somehow. . .I'm going to mess up. . .Things will go badly and those I care about will get hurt. . .

''I'm scared. . .Scared that I'll mess up and loose him after getting attached. . .Scared that I'll ruin some tradition and make him hate me. . .Scared that I won't fit in with him. . .That he'll view me as a mistake'' I whispered, Picking at the moss as I spoke, Poorly summing up the emotions burning in my throat and behind my ribs.

Sophia was quiet for a bit before a huffed laugh escaped her, Startling me.

''You've met him. . .You've spent time with him. . .You seriously think he'd give enough of a damn about some stuffy old tradition to start hating you if you mess up?'' She questioned, Giving me a wobbly, Lop sided grin.

I huffed quietly, A faint smile forming on my lips.

''He doesn't really seem like the type of person to give into peer pressure from the dead. . .'' I amended, She had a point after all.

She chuckled quietly before we both slowly fell silent, Our concern slowly taking hold again.

''I seriously messed up didn't I?. . .'' I asked quietly, Joining her in watching the stars.

She sighed before shrugging.

''Neither of you are dead. . .There's still hope'' She muttered quietly, Her voice wobbling.

And boy did I hope. Hope beyond belief that he was still alive.

This is going to be a long. . .Sleepless night. . .

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mmm. . .Tension. . .

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen