Lil' Lore break: Evolution of the Homigriffs

Alright, So this is gonna cover how Homigriffs evolved to be the way they are. . .Yes, Both types of Homigriffs, It's gonna be short and not too in depth.

Quick lil' reminder that while I may use actual time periods that actually exist in real life (I.e. Miocene time period) what I write isn't really fully accurate.

I know ya'll know that, I'm just making sure I don't get anyone ranting at me for 'Inaccuracies'.

Ancestors

So both normal and sub Homigriffs evolved from the same ancestor.

Around twenty three million years ago, The first observable ancestor appeared.

It is as of yet unnamed, Because CERTAIN HOMIGRIFF GROUPS. Can't get their shit together long enough to actually study and learn about history and their species past.

Anyways, Ancestor. . .Back on topic.

Said ancestor was a hulking beast of a creature, Giant as many things were in the Miocene era (Epoch?) but altogether just an animal.

It was coated in feathers from it's sharp beaked head down to the tip of it's feathery tail.

Despite it's feathers and wings, It was unable to actually fly, It's body too big and muscly for it's much more reasonably sized wings to support, Instead it would glide about, Using it's feline like body to climb high up in the redwoods and giant sequoias that made up it's territory before jumping down and gliding for miles, Silently striking many of the fauna from above.

Around this time (Early - mid Miocene era) forests started to decline as the globe started to heat, climates becoming hotter and drier, Making it harder for small plants to grow as big. 

By the late Miocene era grasslands were much more prevalent.

Many prey animals moved from the less bountiful forests out to the wide expanses of grasslands, Forcing many of the predator animals to follow them.

This (Twelve million years ago) is when the two different types of Homigriffs really started to appear.

Honorable mentions to this are the Ardigriffs, Gorigriffs, Saheligriffs and the Panigriffs, All of which also branched off from the original Homigriffs but were unable to survive long, Eventually becoming extinct.

'Normal' Homigriffs

Despite the 'Normal' part to their name, They're the ones that changed quite a lot.

This branch of Homigriffs were the ones who left the forests and followed the prey into the grasslands.

In the much harsher, Less sheltered environment, They adapted to be aggressive and strong, Their wings growing muscles to allow them to fly for hours on end, Passing miles and miles.  

They became smaller then their ancestors but remained larger then their Sub Homigriff counterparts, Requiring their size and strength to take down the prey that filled the savannas they lived in, But unable to gather enough resources to validate being the same size they had been in the woods.

To keep other predators like the smilodon, Terror bird and many others away from their cubs, They became extremely hostile, Even towards other Homigriffs who weren't either potential mates or related to them.

This is around the time destined mates first started appearing for normal Homigriffs and the ability for females to sire cubs popped up as well, Most likely being nature's last ditch attempt to prevent normal Homigriffs from going extinct.

Regardless, It worked and Normal Homigriffs slowly started to thrive in their new environment, The strongest of them becoming leaders and the meeker ones typically being claimed by their stronger or more assertive counterparts.

Over many many generations, And a few more millions of years, They became like what they are today.

Their remaining hostility is mostly why they don't get along with Sub Homigriffs, Not for lack of trying, But purely because of how different they became from each other over the multiple centuries.

'Sub' Homigriffs

Sub Homigriffs were the Homigriffs who remained in the forests instead of following the prey.

They had to adapt very swiftly to their suddenly less prey filled environment.

Sub Homigriffs adapted to become smaller and less strong as strength was no longer required, Instead, The ability to blend in and not be noticed was much more useful.

They became quite good at hiding in the humid, Tree filled environment, Keeping themselves safe from other predators as they slowly became less and less reliant on the equally well hidden prey that filled the forest.

Instead, It was much more beneficial for them to eat fruits and plants, Only eating other animals every now and then for the nutrients that the plants in their biome lack.

The forest became less common but far more dense, Requiring Sub Homigriffs to adapt to be smaller and slimmer, Gaining speed instead of strength, Keener senses such as smell and sight instead of overly sharp talons.

Seeing as they weren't the strongest, They were more inclined to flee instead of fight.

Over time, Sub Homigriffs started to grow closer to others of their kind, Instead of seeing it as an 'Us verses them' situation like the normals do, They see their world as an 'Us verses the world' situation.

This resulted in them getting along very well with others of their kind, Offering help and food to those in need, Helping raise other's cubs and just in general treating those unrelated to them like kin.

While living together, Sub Homigriffs faced the same interesting adaptation that the normals did, Finding certain Homigriffs and their scents more desirable than others, Which was the first few instances of Destined mates.

Unfortunately, The closeness of Sub Homigriff tribes gave them an extreme weakness.

A sickness spread through the female members of the Sub Homigriffs, Wiping them almost completely off the face of the earth.

It was a long, Sad time, But once again, Nature pulled through and the males adapted to give birth as well, Keeping them from going extinct.

Typically, Sub Homigriffs are similar to their early day ancestors, Opting to talk things out and work on problems together instead of wasting energy and angering others with fighting.

They treat each other as equals because they see even the weakest member as family instead of a burden.

Despite their low-ish population numbers (Thanks to the Normal Homigriffs) they thrive together in the shade filled forests.

They didn't change too much over the following millions of years, Growing smarter and better with the plants in their surroundings, Soon enough becoming like they are today.

Sub Homigriffs unfortunately do not get along too well with their normal counter parts, Unable to understand their constant aggression and assertiveness.

---------------------------------

That's about it. . .Not much is known about their ancestors because of certain Homigriffs.

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen