Chapter 67: Standards.

:) Not gonna say who's Pov this is. . .Just that this is a tiny bit of backstory for him. . .

------------------------------------------------------------

Sitting stiffly in my chair, I kept my eyes trained on the floor as my father ranted and yelled at the cowering peasant standing below us.

''Get out of my sight! Be thankful I don't send soldiers to burn your village to the ground for such insolence.'' Father snarled out, Slamming his closed fist down on the arm of his chair, Making those gathered flinch slightly.

''I am done with these people. Send the rest home. They can try again tomorrow'' Father growled out to one of his attendants who was standing slightly behind his throne.

''That is all, Please leave the premises, If what you have to say is so important then you can make an appointment with one of the council members'' The attendant informed the people gathered below.

People grumbled and protested but were shooed out anyways by the soldiers.

Once the palace room was mostly empty, I turned to my father.

''Can't we provide them any help? It's not their fault a drought happene-'' I started to plead before he held up an armored hand, Silencing me.

''Son son son. You are the heir to my throne. Do not tell me this is how you seriously think.'' Father hissed out, His tone scolding and harsh.

I lowered my head as he continued.

''This world is a dog eat dog one. If you show weakness you'll get torn down. And more importantly, You'll destroy this kingdom of mine. Removing the weak will only make this kingdom stronger'' Father started to lecture, A scowl on his face as he tapped his fingers on the arm of his chair, The rings that adorned them clinking every now and then.

''A good leader is like a good gardener, You gotta know when to cut off branches that aren't as good as others'' He continued, Going full lecture mode.

I did my best to keep an impassive look on my face as father continued to rant on and on about how as his only son, It was my duty to follow in his footsteps.

He will not listen to me, So I just nodded along.

''You are still a fledgling, Son. You know nothing of this world, Just follow in my footsteps and you'll make a fine leader'' Father muttered, Nudging me out of my small throne as he stood up as well, His long ruby red robe sliding over the complex patterned floor.

''Yes father, I understand'' I murmured back, Falling in step beside him as he draped his arm over my shoulder.

''Good. Now, Head off to your tutors, I need to calm myself with my mates'' Father muttered, Shooing me towards the private rooms of the palace.

--- Years later ---

Sitting at my desk, I read over the letter I had just finished writing, Making sure it was proper and not too formal or informal.

She was not to be my friend, But I wasn't to be formal with her, Seeing as we'd be close in a way soon.

The sound of someone entering my room drew my attention up to the servant who was carrying a tray containing sweet rolls, Jam and some sort of cooked meat that smelled amazing.

I opened my mouth, About to thank him before catching myself and falling quiet as he placed the tray of food down on my desk.

The servant looked pale and so skinny, Despite being the same age as me, He was so much shorter thanks to lack of food, The quiet sound of his stomach rumbling made me frown.