Chapter 31: Mother

:T. . .Theo Pov

---------------------------------------------------------

Aldo's mood was steadily going downhill the longer we were here.

He had started growling quietly under his breath a while ago and he's yet to stop.

I could feel tension radiating off of him as he stuck annoyingly close behind me.

Jeeze. . .Putting him in a cage really was a bad idea. . .

I was starting to get jumpy thanks to how tense he was.

Eventually, I had enough of how jumpy he was.

At this rate, I was worried that he'd attack the next person we saw, Which would not be good at all.

I don't want anyone getting hurt. . .

Glancing back at him, I made sure he was close enough so that as soon as we reached one of the pine trees I could tackle him into the branches of the tree.

A small hiss escaped me as the pine needles scraped at my skin, Both of us falling roughly into the pine tree.

I had to reach up quickly to prevent myself from falling off of the branch as we both hit the tree trunk.

Before I could move off of Aldo, He had grabbed me and spun us around, Holding me firmly to the tree, Pinning me.

I closed my eyes tightly as he growled right next to my ear, Considering the possibility that the next person he'd attack could be me.

I didn't think this through. . .

Arching my back, I pressed my wings up against his chest in an attempt to try and stop his aggressive actions at least briefly.

If anyone sees this he'd be knocked out without even a question. . .

Sadly, My action didn't have the desired effect on him.

Instead, My eyes widened in shock and fear as I felt him trail his sharp teeth over my scent gland.

''No. . .No no no'' I whispered out, Trying to squirm away now.

That didn't work, But I did manage to roll over that way my back was no longer facing him.

I stared up at him, My eyes narrowed, His pupils were blown wide.

''What do you think you're doing.'' He demanded, His velvety voice lower than normal.

''Trying to keep you away from innocent people.'' I muttered back, Trying to squirm out from under him as I spoke.

He was about to say something to that when someone clearing their throat caught both of our attentions.

Before I could shout at the mystery person to run, They- He, Spoke.

''Theo, If you and your mate are done goofing around in the flora, I'd rather like to meet this Normal who you claim isn't a violent murderer'' Tom's voice called out, The familiar tired yet warm sounding voice helping to sooth my rapidly un-raveling mind.

Slowly, I relaxed in Aldo's grip, The other man thankfully taking the hint and climbing out of the tree.

Reluctantly, I climbed out as well, Pine needles sticking to my hair, Clothes and even my feathers.

I didn't really have time to worry about that though, Considering, One of the Mothers and Aldo were now face to face.

Despite being smaller than Aldo, Tom still held an air of control around him.

''For the record, I never said he wasn't a violent murderer, He clearly is, I said I don't think he'll kill us'' I clarified quietly, Kicking slightly at a leaf.

''That's just harsh.'' Aldo muttered, His voice sounding more like a growl right now.

A small chuckle came from Tom at that.

''Well, Seeing as you know him the best out of all of us, I trust your judgement Theo, However, I still wish to know this mysterious stranger's purpose here'' Tom reasoned, A gentle smile on his face as he approached me, Seemingly un-fazed by the growl that such an action drew from Aldo.

I tilted my head to the side slightly, Baring my neck for him as his fingers trailed over my scent glands, Checking to see if Aldo had bit me.

That was the wrong move.

I winced in sympathy as Aldo grabbed Tom's wrist suddenly, His grip looking painfully tight.

To his credit, Tom only flinched at the pain he was no doubt in, But didn't lash out.

''Please. Let go of my wrist.'' Tom bit out, His tone still calm but there was a warning hiding in his voice.

I took a step closer, My instincts fighting with each other.

On one hand, Aldo is my mate and my instincts demanded I should help him, On the other hand, Tom was my tribe's Mother and therefore my leader, Which resulted in the same demand from my instincts.

Luckily. . .Or unfortunately, I wasn't forced to decide.

Three Frogs that had been standing just out of sight above us in the trees, Dropped down, Landing on all sides of Aldo, Their blow darts pointed towards my mate.

''Like I said, Please let go of my wrist'' Tom repeated, Still calm.

I watched as Aldo's eyes narrowed before he reluctantly released Tom's wrist.

The Mother took a step back before gesturing to one of the Frogs.

''Will you please escort our. . .Guest, To the main hut'' Tom requested, Moving back over to me as he spoke.

I watched on as Aldo was led away by the Frogs, Concerned for the safety of all of them.

''I'm so sorry'' I whispered when Tom placed his hand on my shoulder, Drawing my attention back to him.

''I don't know what's gotten into him, He's just acting really weird all of a sudden. . .'' I muttered, Trying to convince him to not sentence Aldo to life in a cage or something like that.

Tom just smiled, Shaking his head as he chuckled quietly in amusement.

''I keep forgetting how young you actually are. . .'' Tom said fondly, before continuing before I could question what he said.

''I completely understand why he's acting the way he is, There is no need to say sorry for him'' Tom assured me, Placing his hand on my shoulder as he spoke, The action meant to be comforting.

I gave the slightly shorter adult a small timid smile.

''Come, I'll explain it to you while we walk'' He said pleasantly, All the while slowly guiding me away from the pine tree.

. . .How does he know why Aldo's acting different so suddenly?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Late chapter. . .But! We'll get a lot of explanation for Aldo's recent mood shift pretty soon. . .

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen