Chapter 39: Regret

Mmmm, Emotions. . .

----------------------------------------------------------------

Dejected feelings filled me as I curled up in my nest, My wings arched over my back.

Was I making the right choice?

Aldo was nice and all, But I hadn't even known him for a solid seven sun rises.

Yet on the other hand, The man I was leaving behind had courted me for multiple trips around the sun, And by now I knew so much about him.

He hated summer, Not because of the heat or the plants he was allergic to, But because most people avoided touching each others thanks to the oppressiveness of the smothering heat and sweat.

The cold weather, And rainy weather was what he loved, He loved showing his affection through touch and constant care.

I knew he was scared of deep bodies of water because he had gotten a wing cramp while flying over a lake when he was young, He had hit the lake and was struggling to stay afloat, Nearly drowning in the process.

When ever he was stressed out, I had learned that I could comfort him by hugging him, Covering his wings with mine and letting him be the little spoon as we cuddled.

He'd always end up quietly telling me what was wrong and we'd work through the problem together.

I also knew he refused to mate with me until I fell in love with him fully, He had told me and I quote, 'I only want your body once I have your heart, Your body is beautiful but your heart is what I want the most'.

We had spent years getting to know each other, Building bridges and and mapping out the walls of the mazes of each other's minds.

Yet. . .I was giving all that up because. . .I found my mate?

A part of me was saddened by that fact, Sure, Aldo seemed nice. . .Although, All things considered, The things that I at the time had considered somewhat nice was actually just something that should be expected.

He didn't kill me when he found a Frog and I lost out in the middle of no-where after being raped and attacked, He didn't hurt me. . .Much, When he and his men captured me and kept me prisoner despite me not doing anything to them.

He also didn't rape me after forcing me into a dangerous 'tradition' without my consent.

 And yet. . .Here I was. . .Planning on giving up my romance with Ander all because biology decided Aldo was better for me. . .

I don't even know anything about him. . .

For all I knew, He could be a really good man. . .Or a really bad one who's just good at acting. . .

As it was, I barely knew anything about him, I didn't even know his last name.

I guess that's a good thing to do while I go with them back to their tribe. . .

I continued to think about this as I slept restlessly that night, Barely getting much if any sleep.

- Awake -

I was so groggy and tired come morning, The sounds of people moving about starting to get on my nerves.

Before I could even get out of my nest though, Marigold jumped right on top of me, Happily chirping as I let out a small grunt, Doing my best to hide my pain.

''T-eo! T-ere's a tall grey winged man at t-e front door looking for you!'' Marigold chirped out, Bouncing around on top of me as I sat up, Wincing as her foot almost hit my groin.

''R-Really? My goodness! That sounds scary'' I said, Grabbing onto her and holding her up and away from my groin as I got up, My body now very sore.

She nodded, Her eyes wide as she trembled with the boundless energy of a young child, Her wings twitching on her back as I moved to hold her in my arms.

''Nooo Don't wanna be -eld!'' She squeaked out, Squirming out of my arms.

Sighing, I followed behind her out of my room.

I watched as Mari ran over to hide under Mom's wings, Seeking mom's comfort.

Aldo was standing over by the door, His wings tucked close to his body as Dad glared at him.

I could feel the tension in the air.

As soon as Aldo's eyes landed on me, He gave me a small polite smile.

He was wearing soft looking leather pants and a dark grey vest over a deep red shirt today. . .Which was odd. . .But he pulled the combination off well.

''Are you ready to go sweetie?'' He asked, I could see my dad looked pissed at the nickname, But he kept his mouth shut for some reason.

''I. . .Sure. . .Just give me a moment'' I murmured, All the conflicting emotions from last night rushing back to me.

He nodded slightly, Not seeming to pick up on my distress.

''I will wait outside for you'' He promised before stepping out, Being oddly respectful and polite.

. . .Someone must have threatened him or something. . .

I turned to my mom, About to speak before I saw her face.

She was clearly holding back tears.

Frowning in concern, I hurried over to my shorter mom, Embracing her as she laid her wings over mine.

A few moments later and dad joined in on the hug, None of us saying anything.

Eventually, Marigold started to squirm, Having been stuck in the middle of this hug pile.

We all pulled apart as mom cupped my face with her hands.

''Please, Be careful'' She whispered, Her voice urgent and her eyes glistening with un-shed tears.

''Neither of us understand your choice. . .But we will stand by it if you really like this guy'' She continued as dad carried Marigold back to her room.

She was too young to understand what was going on, She could pick up on the emotions of all of us though, Resulting in her starting to tear up.

''Thanks mom. . . I promise I'll be back'' I whispered, Giving her a brief kiss on her head as a goodbye before stepping outside, My heart clenching slightly.

I felt like I was walking in a dream, Apathetic and somewhat sad.

''Ready to go now?'' Aldo questioned, Arching a wing over mine as I yet again started to question my choice.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Slightly late chapter and all that. . .

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen