Chapter 57: Confusing mess

Back to Theo's pov

-----------------------------------------------

Wiping the sweat from my brow, I let out a tired sigh.

''Thanks again for helping us put the kitchen back together'' Jack, One of the kitchen staff members said while passing me.

''Not a problem I don't mind helping'' I muttered tiredly, Waving off the man's gratitude.

We had cleaned the kitchen top to bottom, Restocked the cabinets and fixed the minor damage the pots, Pans and other assorted items that had been taken with the kitchen staff when they were ordered to flee.

 ''Well everyone, That's enough work for tonight, The moon's in the sky, It's time to head to bed'' The head chef, Alexi, Declared, Gently shooing some of the kitchen staff towards the nearby doors.

I said my goodbyes to the staff members who passed me as we all headed for the doors.

Before I could take a step to the connected hallway, Alexi called out to me.

''Theo, Will you wait a moment?'' She called out, Making me pause.

''Yes Ma'am? Did I do something wrong?'' I questioned, Walking back to the counter she was cleaning a few crumbs off of.

''No no, You're doing surprisingly well for a newbie'' She assured me, Reaching a hand out to firmly pat me on the shoulder while she spoke.

''I actually want to talk to you about something else. . .'' She continued, Gently ushering me over to one of the few chairs in the kitchen.

Confused, I slowly sat down at her insistence, My curiosity more than piqued.

''You've been spending a lot of time in the kitchen lately, We really do love having you here so please don't think we don't but. . .You haven't been spending much time with your mates from what we've seen, If spending time helping us in the kitchen is getting between you and your mates then I would ask you not to spend so much time here'' Alexi sternly informed me.

She was clearly very serious about this if her stern tone of voice was anything to go by.

''Thank you for your concern but. . .Helping out here isn't causing any rifts, Don't worry'' I assured her, Not really wanting to go into more detail.

She nodded slowly before giving me a small smile.

''Alright then, Well you go head off now, I won't keep you any longer'' Alexi said, Shooing me towards the doors like she had done with the other kitchen staff members.

''Bye Ma'am, Have a good night'' I called back before heading for my room.

She wasn't wrong. . .Up until today, I wasn't sure if a relationship between my mates and I was what I actually wanted.

Now that I know it is. . .I have no clue what to do.

Letting out a tired sigh, I ran my fingers through my hair in a pathetic attempt at soothing myself.

It's been so long since I've groomed myself or my wings. . .Even longer since someone else has groomed me. . .

About three to four days before the attack, My mom and I had sat around and groomed each others wings. . .That was the last time anyone had even attempted to groom my wings.

Walking past one of the rooms, I could hear giggling from inside.

I didn't mean to listen in on what was being said, But they were very loud.

''Oh gosh what happened to your wings? There's so many frayed feathers! Did you get struck by lightening or something?'' A laughing female voice questioned from inside the room.

The only response the girl got was a happy purr that I could hear even while walking down the hall.

They sound happy. . .I wonder if Aldo or Jude would purr if I groomed their wings. . .

''Careful Theo! Don't want to trip and ruin your pretty little face'' A voice called out, Drawing my attention back to a woman approaching me.

Sophie.

I could feel my feathers bristle slightly as she approached, The thin and semi see through fabric of her dress not leaving much to the imagination.

''Um. . .Thanks for the warning-'' I started to wearily say before she cut me off.

''After all, Seeing as Aldo already has a mate, If you loose your looks he has no reason to keep you around'' She continued, Moving to stand next to me, A cold smile on her face.

She glanced down at my wings before her nose wrinkled in disgust.

''I mean, It's not like you'll be able to serve any other purpose if your looks are gone. . .You can't fight. . .We have more than enough cooks, We don't need any more maids and lets be honest, If Aldo looses interest in you then it's not like anyone's going to keep you around'' Sophie laughed, Leaning close to whisper in my ear. 

My body tensed up as she reached out, Lightly patting my cheek before her gaze landed on the still scabbed over scratch on my cheek.

A small smirk formed on her face before she stepped back, Clasping her hands behind her back.

''After all, It's not like you're one of us. We don't like outsiders. . .Let alone useless ones'' Sophie said happily before giving me a smile and walking off.

Reaching a hand up, I lightly ran my finger tips over the bumped up scab on my face.

I. . .Miss home. . .

She wasn't wrong. . .I really didn't fit in here.

Giving my wings a little shake, I continued on my way, Shoving down the ugly twisting emotions that were coiling inside me.

It's fine. I'm fine. I'm just tired.

Keeping my head down, I waved politely to those who would greet me when I passed but other than that, I kept to myself and my thoughts.

Until. . .I heard a muffled moan from a very familiar room.

The door to Aldo's room was ever so slightly ajar, Allowing the quiet sounds from inside to make their way out into the hall.

One of the concubines, The male one, Was peering in through the crack.

Well that's not right.

Frowning, I moved to stand behind the concubine before quietly clearing my throat, Making him jump.

We stared at each other for a moment, His expression matching a panicked deer before he darted away without a word.

Glancing over at the opened door, I could just barely see Jude sitting on top of Aldo. . .Aldo's dick deep inside the flushed and quietly moaning man.

Swallowing down the feeling the was once again squeezing at my chest, I reached out and grabbed onto the door handle, Closing their bedroom door fully so their time together wouldn't be snooped on, So they'd be safe from prying eyes.

With that done, I made my way to the room that had been deemed mine.

My heart sunk.

And the feeling of not belonging clinging heavily to me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

:) Things are gonna progress

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen