Chapter 58: Restless

Mmm Here we go. . .

------------------------------------------------

Sleep failed to find me, Leaving me tossing and turning fitfully in what I was starting to consider to be my nest.

 Eventually though, I gave up on the hope of rest, Opting instead to get up and wander the seemingly endless halls of the palace in a melancholic daze.

After a while of being lost, I wound up in the prisons underneath the palace.

The plants and flowers that were used down here to cover the prisoner's scents were clearly fresh based upon how strong they smelled.

At least I now know where I am. . .

I was doing my best to not think about the reason I couldn't get sleep, Opting instead to concentrate on anything but my thoughts.

Which might be why I didn't hear a certain bastard call out to me from his cell, At first at least.

''Hey. You. You're the head's side piece right? Come over here and let me out of here.'' Quinn growled out at me from the other side of his cell's door.

That, Made me pause.

''I'm not his side piece.'' I grumbled with a lot less venom in my voice than I'd normally have with such a statement.

Does he view me as his side piece?

Something about my tone caused a cruel looking glint to form in the other man's eyes.

''Sure you aren't. That's why you're down here without a guard or anyone protecting you'' He growled out his tone sarcastic and mocking.

''I can protect myself'' I muttered defensively, My feathers bristling.

Why does me not having a person constantly following me around make me seem like his side piece?

''A head doesn't leave their mate un-guarded. I never left my mate un-guarded until his spying mission, Not a single head leaves the ones they consider their mates without at least some form of protection'' Quinn explained slowly and coldly, His hands moving to grip the bars set in the large wooden door.

''Understandable why he doesn't have you guarded. . .He hasn't even marked you. . .You aren't one of us so it makes sense why he'd keep you as his exotic side piece instead a mate'' He continued dismissively, Slowly moving away from his cell door while he spoke.

That. . .Hurt. . .But made sense.

I'm not one of them after all. . .

''What's with the upset expression? I mean, You still have your body. . .You could still be this Aldo man's exclusive concubine'' Quinn jeered.

Having had enough of this, I made a beeline for the exit.

Quinn was shouting something at me while I left, But I couldn't focus on him.

All I could focus on were the words others have spoken to me rattling around in my mind.

'Not one of us' 'Side piece' 'They only like you because you're Aldo's mate' 'You don't belong.'

I. Don't belong here.

With my mind sadly made up, I headed through the maze like halls of the palace for the large palace doors that would let me free from this place.

I should go home. I will go home. . .I'm not going to be a burden here any longer than I already have been, This was a mistake.

Aldo has Jude and Quinn. . .At the moment, All I am in this relationship is a hinderance. . .And well, I wasn't about to risk ruining their relationship.