Chapter 50:

:)

-------------------------------------------------------

I wasn't feeling better by morning.

Nor did I feel better when Sophia informed me that Aldo and Jude wouldn't join us for breakfast as they were busy having another romp in the sheets together.

It was fine though. . .I was fine. . .

No I wasn't. . .I just couldn't figure out why I felt so bad that I wasn't invited.

I never said anything about wanting to be around either of them so it logically made sense that they wouldn't invite me into their bed.

What I was confused about was why it hurt me so much.

Maybe I'm just homesick and seeking anyone who provides familiar comfort. . .

I was walking down the hallway while these thoughts swirled around in my head.

While walking, I heard the faint sounds of utensils clinking on bowls etc.

Curious and a bit confused, I made my way towards the warm, Fire lit kitchens.

The servants were happily bustling about in the kitchen, Preparing food.

As soon as I curiously stepped foot into said very warm kitchen, The servants closest to me froze before one of the ones who appeared to be in charge approached me.

''Can I help you Aldo's mate?'' The head kitchen servant questioned, The much taller woman seeming a little confused and concerned about me being here.

''I uh. . .Was wondering if maybe I could help out in here?'' I asked, Deciding that distracting myself from these confusing and seemingly random emotions would be the best way to go.

Back home, At my tribe, We would have festivals every three weeks or so.

When we'd have a festival those who aren't watching kids, Resting from work, Working still or guarding our tribe would work together to cook a giant feast for our entire tribe.  

My mother and I had cooked so many feasts with our neighbors that by this point cooking was a near instinctual comfort for me at times.

The head cook looked surprised by that request, But hesitantly, She agreed to let me help.

Based upon the looks I was given while I was led to an area to chop fruits, Veggies and other things that required chopping, I was only being welcomed into the kitchen because I was Aldo's mate and they didn't want to displease their Head.

Well, That was. . .Kinda sad but right now, I could deal with that.

--- Time skip ---

The sun was high in the sky by the time those of us in the kitchen were almost done cooking the giant feast.

It took a while, But the kitchen staff warmed up to me working with them.

Slowly, The conversations started back up as we all started to work together in relative harmony. 

Eventually, I ended up on good terms with the kitchen staff, By late afternoon they no longer called me 'Aldo's mate' and instead used my actual name.

Some of them even started gossiping with me, Telling me stories and asking questions about what my tribe was like.

They all thought our monthly or so festivals were really sweet and reminded them of their family dinners they used to have when they were younger.

Through our chats, I learned that a rival tribe, The tribe of Conn was coming to speak with Aldo.

Why? No one knew, Whatever reason they had for visiting was being kept top secret.

The kitchen staff was rightfully disgruntled over having to make a feast for a rival tribe's higher ups so soon after making breakfast for the entire palace staff and residents.

They were quite happy with my added help tough, They were able to get a lot more done with an extra set of hands after all.

Sophia had popped in a few times to make sure I was okay and to update me on the fact that Aldo was looking for me.

I wasn't really ready to face him when my confusing emotions were still bubbling under my skin.

And much to my relief, The much taller kitchen staff Homigriffs were more then content to cover for me, Denying any knowledge of where I was when a few soldiers came looking.

 ''Theo? Can you watch the cooking venison while I go check on the feast set up?'' Alexi, The head chef, Requested, Gesturing to the large pan currently frying more slabs of meat then I could count on two hands.

I nodded, Instantly moving away from where I had been peeling fruits to go stand next to the large fire blazing in the firepit in the middle of the kitchen.

The warmth from the fire made my skin warm and slightly tight.

I was removing the cooked meat from the large metal frying pan when Alexi returned, Sophia following close behind her.

''Hey Theo, I know you're having fun in here but I'm afraid Aldo's gotten very concerned over you not being found anywhere'' Sophia started, Sounding sympathetic as Alexi took over the cooking of the meat again.

I grimaced slightly before nodding and moving to follow her out of the kitchen.

There were a few 'Byes', To which I waved back in response before Sophia and I were out of sight.

''I see you've discovered our kitchen staff's weakness. . .A worker who doesn't complain about work or toss their work off onto someone else'' Sophia muttered, Giving me a small smile.

Some of the worried tension left my shoulders as I shifted back into my second form.

Apparently the kitchen staff always remained in their third form when working in the kitchen that way their wings weren't taking up space or getting burnt on the fires.

''They're nice. . .And the whole task of cooking is soothing. . .Reminds me of home'' I whispered to her, Earning a more honest smile from her.

''Must miss your home huh?. . .I missed mine too when I moved here. . .'' Sophia said, Smiling fondly as she looked at the walls while we walked.

''What'd you do to feel more comfortable here?'' I asked, Glancing at the slightly taller girl.

She tilted her head slightly before giving me a gentle, Sympathetic look.

''I told Aldo about my home sickness, He worked with me to make me feel more comfortable here'' She explained, Clearly understanding that doing something like that would be really uncomfortable for me.

Ooh boy. . .

-------------------------------------------------------------------

:D Chaos next chapter! Woo

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen