Chapter 55: Lost.

Yup. . .Theo pov still. . .

----------------------------------------------------

I didn't sleep a wink that night, Positive that the moment I shut my eyes, A messenger would come.

The hours passed in agonizingly slow worry.

It was midday when a skittish scout landed outside of our hiding place.

Sophia and I were the only ones to bother speaking with him, As pointless as our talk was.

All he said was, 'Come back to the palace. Head's orders' and then he was shifting back into his first form and flying off abruptly.

Lovely conversation that was. Gave us a lot of information.

Sophia and I had exchanged concerned looks at that before rejoining the others, Neither of us quite sure what to make of the very short conversation.

Both Sophia and I were holding out hope that he was okay, That Quinn lost and Aldo would be waiting for us once we got back.

Jude, On the other hand, Was positive that Aldo lost. Digging his heels in when Sophia and I started to get everyone back to the castle. Looking a lot like he was either going to pass out or throw up.

His lack of faith in our mate was stressing me out, He did know both of them rather well after all.

And sadly, He wasn't the only one who believes Aldo lost. . .The concubines were preening while we walked, Trying to make themselves as appealing as they could for their new leader.

My urge to maul them was rising with every feather they groomed, The only thing keeping me back was my stressful concern for Aldo.

He's not dead. . .He didn't lose. . .I refuse to think otherwise. . .

Despite my insistence. . .A small voice in the back of my mind just kept whispering 'But what if he isn't. . .Why if you not being there has made him loose?'.

Despite my best attempts, That little voice wouldn't shut the hell up.

''You know. . .You might want to start gathering flowers while we head back. . .Would be a shame to not have anything to add to Aldo's grave'' Sophie whispered to me before rejoining her little pack of fellow concubines.

Bristling slightly, I shifted into my first form, Feeling a little better in the form of a large Homigriff with shark claws and a beak.

Please. . .Don't be dead. . .

--- Time skip ---

The castle looked nearly lifeless, The only sign of movement being from the banners flying on the turrets and the few remaining soldiers.

My heart was pounding away in my throat as we hurried to the now not so distant palace.

I'm sure my thoughts would be racing if I could think at all.

But right now, All that was going on in my head was a numb static. . .

As far as I was concerned. . .Thought didn't exist, Nothing existed or mattered until I was sure. Without a doubt, Positive. That Aldo was alive.

Enter the palace, I was greeted with an empty hall.

The concubines had split off from our little group, Heading back to their rooms to neaten up further.

That left Sophia, Jude and I to approach the doors leading to the throne room.

My blood was pounding loudly past my ears as the doors to the massive, Table filled hall were pushed open.

Copper.

That was the first thing I smelled when the doors swung open, The distinct coppery tang of blood.

The smell was so thick in the air that I could swear I could taste it in my mouth.

My attention wasn't on that though. . .

No. . .My much more concerned attention was focused on the slightly slumped, Grey winged person sitting on the throne.

I didn't even process my movement until I was standing directly in front of Aldo, My throat tightening as my vision blurred with gathering tears.

A faint, Ragged sob was all I heard from Jude as I reached shaking hands out to cup Aldo's concerningly pale face.

He reeked of blood. . .Most likely due to the blood that coated his hands, Wings and clothes like mud, Matted and clotted in places it shouldn't be.

''Aldo'' I whispered quietly, My voice shaking and small as tears slowly melted down my face, Leaving the world a foggy blur of color.

It's too late. . .He's. . .He's dead. . .I fucked around, Ignoring him and now. . .It's too late to fix my mistakes. . .

A warm hand loosely wrapped around my wrist, Tugging my hand down.

A small gasp left me as a light kiss was pressed to my palm.

''What's with all the tears. . .Sweetie?'' Aldo rasped out, Two slivers of yellow joining the blur of tear hazed colors I could see.

I had been too caught up in the signs and smells of violence to notice, His skin had been warm to the touch, Colder than he should be, But still warmer than a corpse.

Without thinking, I dropped down, Enclosing my arms around his neck, Wrapping my wings around his shoulders as I pressed my face directly against his throat.

His scent was mostly covered with blood, But this close, The chill of pines and the smoke of fire just barely reached me.

''What in the world happened to you sweetie? Where's the Theo who'd balk at my touch?'' Aldo teased quietly, His voice raspy as he placed a hand against the back of my head, Encouraging me closer.

''Aldo?'' Jude asked tentatively, As if he couldn't quite believe the man was actually here before us.

''Come here Jude'' Was his only response to his mate.

I didn't bother pulling away from the grey winged man, Not wanting to let him go. Not this time.

A moment later, Another warm body was pressed up against my side as Jude was pulled into the hug as well.

''You won. . .'' Jude whispered quietly on the other side of Aldo, Awe in his voice.

''Very astute deduction there dear'' Aldo purred out fondly before the brief and quiet sound of a quick kiss reached my ears.

A peaceful, Easy silence fell over us after that, All of us calming in the presence of our mates. . .Snuggled close in a dog pile hug.

You could almost taste the relieved joy in the air.

''Why didn't you move when we came in?'' I asked quietly, My question whispered into his skin, Breaking the quiet.

Aldo let out a chuckled sigh at that, His hand gently tugging through my hair.

''Because I was napping. . .None of you should have been back before nightfall. . .I'm rather concerned how quickly you all got back. . .You three better not have skipped taking rest breaks.'' Aldo muttered, His voice taking on a stern edge as the exhaustion from a break neck, Non stop journey caught up with me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

SO. . .

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen