Chapter 22: Fraying

And Aldo plans some things out. . .

---------------------------------------------------------------

Sure enough, One of Aldo's men came to fetch us right around noon.

My whole body was sore from the combination of sleeping on rocks and falling a lot last night.

I didn't even want to think of all the places the small twigs and pine needles got to as I slept last night.

As soon as we got back to their little camp of sorts, Aldo had rushed me into his tent.

I was in a way, Kind of grateful for that seeing as even before we got back, His people were almost tripping over themselves to get a look at Aldo and I.

Thankfully though, With an outstretched wing, Aldo hid me the entire way to his tent.

The downside of being inside such enclosed quarters?

Aldo's scent was so fucking strong in here.

The smell of pine, Of frost and. . .Mint? seemed to cling to everything in here, Me included.

It was unnerving to say the least.

I could feel my head swimming slightly, It was almost as bad as the time I sampled some wild mushrooms.

Both that idea and this one weren't good ones to put it lightly.

''Sweetie? I need you to concentrate alright?'' Aldo asked, His strained voice breaking me from my internal struggle and reminding me, I wasn't the only one being effected here.

Aldo's pupils were blown wide, Nearly blocking out the yellow of his iris, Like a eclipse of some sort.

I could tell by his body language that he was doing his very best to remain seated on the other side of the table.

Frowning slightly, I snapped my gaze away from him, Looking down instead to the map that was laid out on said table.

Reaching out, I hovered my finger over a large swath of green on the map.

''This is where my tribe used to live, They fled to a safe point deeper in the woods though. . .'' I muttered quietly, My voice sounding strained to my ears as well.

I could see Aldo nodding along with what I was saying from the other side of the table.

He reached out as well, His hand gently brushing against mine as he went to rest his finger on the large blob of green.

''You've only been with us for a few days. . .And I'm going to assume you stayed with that other tribe for even less time. . .'' Aldo muttered quietly, His voice gravely.

Remembering the fact that our hands were touching, I slowly pulled mine back, Holding it close as if I had been burned.

Aldo cleared his throat, But thankfully didn't say anything about it.

''They've most likely not gotten far seeing as they'll be moving a lot of people through a densely forested area, We might be able to catch up to them if we take a small group and hurry'' Aldo explained, Seemingly concentrating on the map in an attempt to calm himself.

''Well, I better leave now then. . .'' I muttered quietly, Moving away from the table and towards the door.

I started to spread my wings before Aldo's hand suddenly touching my shoulder made me pause.

''Stay here, I'll fetch some of my men and we'll take you to the forest'' Aldo muttered, Walking past me before I stopped him, Placing my hand on his to stop him.

''I don't need you to take me to the forest.'' I muttered releasing his hand and moving past him.   

He didn't say anything as I headed outside.

I was about to shift into my first form when he spoke up.

''And how were you planning on finding your way to these woods?'' Aldo asked, Drawing my attention back to him.

He had his arms crossed and an un-amused look on his face.

''I'll use a map'' I stated, Turning to face him again.

''Do you know how to read a map?'' Aldo asked, Arching an eyebrow slightly.

''I-'' I squeaked out, My argument falling flat.

The man in front of me let out a small huffed sigh before he approached me again.

''Well Sweetie? Can you?'' He pressed, Stopping directly in front of me, Barely an inch away from me.

Scowling, I looked away from him, My face heating up in anger and embarrassment.

''No. I can't.'' I bit out, My hands clenching into fists at my sides as I spoke.

I can't protect myself. . .I can't figure out my way. . .The fuck can I even do. . .This all is so stupid. . .

I could feel tears of rage starting to form in my eyes.

''I can't find my way but I'll figure it out. I don't need help. I don't need you coddling me like some little kid.'' I growled out at him, My feathers bristling.

I'm not weak. I don't need him to protect and guide me like some mindless hatchling.

Turning away from him, I shifted into my first form, Taking flight as soon as I did so.

My head, My emotions.

They all felt so scrambled while I was near Aldo, As if he was taking a fork to my brain and just whisking it up like eggs.

I couldn't make heads or tails of what I was feeling, The urge to be near Aldo, To listen to him, The need to do something.

So confusing. . .

My nerves were stretched thin and brittle, One wrong word or one mis-interpreted meaning and they were snapping.

I flapped my wings, Not even paying attention to anything except the steady beats of my wings.

My thoughts weren't even cleared until the afternoon sun was nearly blinding me, The air suddenly a lot thinner.

Looking around, I felt a burn in my chest at the thinner air.

I was above the cloud cover, Dangerously high.

Letting out a shaky exhale, I extended my wings, Starting to glide downwards.

Before I could even brush against the clouds below me, A grey feathered form was bursting from the white fog like clouds.

I started to retreat before I a beak graze across my scent glands.

The smell of wintery pine filled my senses as the feathered form pressed up against me.

Aldo?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 Well. . .They're getting closer to smexy times. . .

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen