Chapter 82: Threat

Annnd here's this chapter!

-----------------------------------------------------

My eyes felt heavier and heavier the longer I breathed in the other man's scent, steadily getting harder to think.

Wait. . .Wait! This is perfect! He won't go to war with us now! Oh thank the stars above.

I swayed slightly as he slowly raised his hand, cupping my face with an attempt at gentleness.

An attempt that was ruined by the sharper edges of the gauntlet he was wearing digging into my skin, causing me to hiss in pain, attempting to pull away from him.

Before I could pull back, the other man's hand moved to grab onto my hair, his grip strong and borderline painful, causing me to hiss quietly in pain.

There was an. . .Almost panicked look in his eyes when I tried to step away, a look I barely processed before his grip tightened to the point a whimper left me.

''How unexpected dove'' Evander muttered, snapping out of whatever daze he had been in before, his gaze turning critical as he looked me up and down.

I felt. . .Scared, very scared.

He seemed to be liking what he was seeing. . .Until his eyes landed on my egg, still clutched close to my chest in my arms.

Upon being reminded of the fact that I had a child, I could see a flash of rage ignite in his eyes.

Fight or flight kicked in right that second inside me, just in time too.

Evander reached out quickly for the soft pale white egg in my arms right as I jerked backwards, ripping a small chunk of hair out of my head in the process.

Holding my unhatched one close to my chest, as if my life depended on them, I made a dash for the guards who were quickly closing ranks.

I barely had time to take more than three steps before a gauntlet covered hand grabbed onto my upper arm, yanking me hard enough to pull me off of my feet.

And just like that, I was safely within the ranks of my guards, the one who had grabbed me holding me close to her chest, using her body to shield me as the other guards surrounded us, their weapons pointed in the direction of the 'visitors'.

I was breathing heavily as the rush of adrenaline settled down, leaving me to feel the burning throb of pain from where a chunk of hair and some flesh had been ripped out of my head.

Turning, I looked between the bodies standing between me and. . .My destined mate.

Evander was just calmly standing there, a bloody chunk of my hair held in his grip as he calmly stared down my guards, seemingly having regained control of himself with the forced distance between us.

My ears were ringing as one of the servants ran off to fetch a healer from the sound of it.

''My lord, what do you want us to do about this man?'' The guard holding me. . .Jennifer, questioned quietly, a hand cradling my head up against her chest.

Looking up to the motherly, caring eyes of the woman, I frowned slightly before turning my gaze back to Evander right as the man dropped looked down at my hair still held in his grasp, impassively dropping it onto the ground as if the fact that he just painfully ripped out a chunk of my hair was unimportant.

He just tried to take my child. . .

He. . .

''Take him to the dungeons'' I whispered quietly as the remaining guards in the palace finally arrived, rushing to cut off Evander and his council's escape route.

Jennifer relayed my order as Sophia, Jodie, Jackie and Maxwell rushed to pull me towards the hidden exit behind the thrones while the guards started to herd the visitors towards where the dungeons were.

I could feel blood dripping down the back of my head, my scalp burning as my closest friends and servants ushered me towards a hidden nook that led down towards the healer's workshop.

My friends were fussing over me and saying something. . .But I couldn't focus on their words.

He almost grabbed my child. . .he almost took them. . .I-

I was shaken, so very shaken by all of this.

Small tears trickled down my face as I lowered my head, staring down at my bare feet as I walked.

''Theo, please sit down'' A voice requested as I was ushered over towards a bed, my friends fussing over me as I took a seat, the healer moving to check on me.

I felt gentle hands on my head as the healer examined me.

''Yikes, looks painful but not too serious. Hold still, we'll get you patched up'' The healer assured softly as they rummaged around in their herb cabinet for a while.

--- time skip ---

I hadn't left my nest all day.

More than a few servants, guards and other palace residents had come to try and coax me out of my room.

But I just. . .I just couldn't.

Outside of the room was dangerous, I didn't have my mates here to protect me nor my child.

I can protect her. . .Them. . .Her?

Frowning, I sat up a bit more in the nest I had made of the blankets and pelts in the room.

Resting my hand on my child, warmed by my own body heat, I frowned slightly.

Shifting slightly, a small gasp left me as the cloth I was wearing brushed against my strangely sensitive chest.

Oh!

Sometimes, as hormones flared closer to your child's hatching, the parent who laid the child will get intuitions on traits of their child.

Mom correctly guessed Marigold's eye and hair color long before she hatched, let alone opened her eyes.

Holding her close, I nuzzled against my daughter, my heart fluttering in my chest.

. . .This would be the perfect time for my mates to be here. And yet. . .

Sighing, I tucked her up against my skin again, readjusting my clothes so my chest was left bare.

It won't be long now until I start making milk for her. . .Will be even less time until I go crazy from hormones. . .

I needed my mates so very urgently. . .

----------------------------------------------------

:) Early chapter for everyone.

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen