Chapter 2: The attack

And things get bad. . . Really bad.

---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----

My heart raced in my chest as I shifted into my second form, My secretary wings spreading out on either side of me as I held my little sister close to my chest.

She had shifted back into her first form, Her little body still kitten sized, She had yet to really grow at all.

She took after our mom a lot, Her feline half being a African golden cat, Her bird half a Secretary bird just like our mom, However unlike our mom, She still had her kitten fluff as well as downy feathers instead flying feathers.

Speaking of my mom, I poked my head outside slightly only for her to hiss at me quietly, Her giant griffin form standing between the outside jungle and our frightened house.

''Get back inside!'' She hissed/snapped at me, Her avian eyes wide with panic.

I flinched back, Startled by her raised voice.

She looked to the left before her first form barreled back inside, Pushing me and in turn my little sister to the ground.

I moved my wings forwards, Wincing slightly as I landed on them.

Thankfully they protected my little sister from harm as she cowered close to my chest.

Glancing up, I saw mom going full mother bird mode above me.

Her claws were out as she let out a quiet rumbling growl, Her eyes trained on the door.

She was standing over both Marigold and I, Her wings held down at an angel to hide us from view.

I held my breath, My heart racing as I heard someone land on the entrance perch to our house.

No. I can't. I can't just hide here.

Carefully, I set Marigold down before darting out from under mom, My form shifting into my first form as soon as I was clear.

''Theo!'' Mom hissed quietly, Sounding panicked upset over my defiant action.

Tensing my beak, I moved to stand beside mom's slightly larger form, My claws drawn as my snow leopard tail slowly flicked behind me.

My eyes were trained on the door, The long eyelash like feathers Secretary bird's have over their eyes made it easier to see when the house shook slightly, Causing unseen dust to fall down on us.

I'm the man of the nest while dad is gone. I'm not about to let everyone down.

Suddenly the front door burst open, A familiar half snowy owl half snow leopard griffin rushing in, His feathers stained slightly with blood.

''DAD!'' I screamed as he rushed over to our little huddle, Panting for breath.

''Theo, Marigold, Umber'' He whispered in relief, His soft snowy white wings flinging around us in a hug.

I could feel mom trembling as she pressed close to her mate, Tears of relief dripping from her Avian eyes.

''Polar, What is going on out there? How bad is the attack?'' Mom asked worriedly, Slipping up and using my father's name in her panic.

I moved back to stand over my little sister as dad and mom whispered back and forth to each other, Panicked.

I was about to listen in when a tiny fragile little voice spoke up.

''Tea-o?'' Marigold asked, Peering up at me with her big baby blue eyes.

''Yes Mari?'' I whispered back, Crouching down to be a little closer to the tiny cub.