Chapter 51: Chaos

:D

----------------------------------------------------

Stepping out of one of the back hallways and into the main palace room of Aldo's castle was a bit. . .Jarring to say the least.

Soldiers and the castle's staff were bustling about to do their tasks.

Those that got too close to the thrones Jude and Aldo were sitting on earned a quiet growl from Aldo.

He didn't seem as tense as he did when he came to visit my tribe, He seemed more. . .More like he was trying to prove he could protect his mate even from things that weren't a threat.

Sophia let out a small huffed laugh at that, Catching my attention.

''His bond with Jude is still raw, Just like his mark. . .He's trying to keep competition away from his mate'' She explained to me, Seemingly noticing my puzzled look.

''Oh boy. . .That doesn't sound too good'' I murmured back as she and I slowly and cautiously approached the thrones.

She gave me a slight smile before Aldo noticed us.

''There you are Sweetie'' He called out as soon as his eyes landed on me.

That got Jude's attention too.

Much to my surprise, He had a fresh, large bandage on the other side of his neck.

Was that always there?

That wasn't always there.

''Where were you?'' Aldo questioned warmly, Stepping down from his raised throne area to stand in front of me.

Jude quickly followed him.

The other man looked oddly. . .Tense.

Like he was scared.

''I was hanging out with the kitchen staff. . .'' I muttered wearily as Aldo gently cupped my face with his hands.

The grey winged man seemed calmer now with me here.

''You weren't getting in their way were you?'' Aldo questioned as he ushered me up towards the thrones set up for him and his mates.

Which, Included me. . .Something I was still coming to terms with.

''. . .I hope not'' I muttered, Hesitantly sitting down in the overly large throne Aldo had gently guided me to.

''Well. . .It's good to see you fitting in around here'' Aldo said happily, Seeming pleased that I was making a place for myself within his tribe.

''They're all really nice and didn't question letting me join them'' I added on, Feeling like I should make it clear that me fitting in wasn't due to any skills of mine but instead the kindness of this staff.

Much to my surprise, Aldo seemed to preen a bit at my words, Holding his head high and his wings out to the side to display how much of prime mate material he was.

''That's very good to hear, I tend to hand pick the staff that work here that way I can try and ensure that they're not-'' Aldo started to say fondly before a soldier running quickly into the hall caught his attention.

''S-Sir! The leaders of the tribe of Conn are here!'' The soldier sputtered out, Sending everyone into even further chaos.

A bitter note seemed to take root in everyone's scents.

Nervousness. . .Why are they all nervous?

Aldo moved away from me, His attention turning to managing his people instead of trying to socialize with me.

That allowed Jude and I to turn our slightly distracted attentions to each other.

He looked down right terrified now.

''You. . .You okay?'' I asked quietly gesturing to his neck as I spoke, Assuming the reason why he was distressed was because of whatever was under the bandage.

He swallowed harshly before his expression and scent changed on a dime to a more calm composure.

''Yeah, I'm alright'' He muttered, His voice still raspy sounding.

That. . .Didn't seem honest. . .What's wrong?

I didn't feel close enough to him or confident enough for me to be able to call him out on that clear lie without it seeming like I was challenging him.

So. . .I shut up.

Instead I hunched in on myself, My wings arching up in the chair that still managed to dwarf me, Making me seem smaller then I was.

I had a strong feeling I looked a lot like a mere kid sitting in his father's chair.

Ill fitted. . .Out of place.

Aldo was no longer on the raised dais that the thrones sat on, Instead he now stood in front of the long wooden table that filled the center of the large palace hall.

''He's lowering himself from the dais so he doesn't end up threatening the other tribe's Head, This is supposed to be a peaceful meeting. . .Leaders tend to be overly sensitive to pointless stuff like this'' Sophia informed me quietly as she moved to stand behind the throne I was sitting in.

She was now wearing a dress made of a sheer material that didn't leave too much to the imagination.

Looking towards the edges of the large hall, I could see the other concubines wearing similar attire.

''Should I go join him too?'' I asked nervously.

Getting attacked or starting a war weren't exactly on my list of things I wanted to do today.

She smiled slightly at me, Her hands folded politely in front of her.

''You don't have to, But it will present a more unified front if the still unclaimed mate is standing beside his mate when new comers arrived. . .The guests might not question Aldo's strength so much then'' Sophia explained further.

''Why would they question his strength otherwise?'' I asked quietly as I got up, Heading to join Aldo.

''It reflects poorly on a leader if one can't even control their own mate'' Sophia quietly whispered before falling silent, Standing behind me as I moved to stand beside Aldo.

The other man looked surprised by my moving here before slowly, He lowered a wing to cover mine.

What a. . .Degrading system. . .A leader is seen as less then if they don't control their mate? That's not right. . .Their mate is a person and should be regarded as such. . .Not as something to control. . .

 A small frown was on my face by the time Jude joined Aldo and I down here.

Before anything could be said between the three of us.

The large doors at the end of the hall slowly swung open.

Revealing a group of nineteen people.

Here we go. . .

----------------------------------------------------------------

Time for Quinn to rejoin the picture. . .

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen