Lil' Lore break: The hunts.

Now of course, This little bit of lore applies to the normal Homigriffs only, The Sub Homigriffs managed to talk things out with each other like grown fucking adults.

Back as far as the beginning of co-habitation between Homigriffs, The hunt has existed, But. . .Not quite like how it exists today.

.Start of the hunts.

You see, Back when 'tribes' were mostly just large families (All from the same blood line) You had to travel far to find a suitable mate, Let alone one that was destined to you.

Most 'tribes' lived far apart from each other as they tended to be violent with rivals, So when a potential mate (Or really anyone who isn't claimed and isn't related to them) is found alone, It's a big deal for the unclaimed 'tribe' members who find them, Regardless of if the 'potential mate' is their destined mate or not.

Many times even other direct family members (I.e. Siblings and or cousins) will compete for the same person until someone wins.

So to say competition was fierce for one's destined mate was an understatement.

Now onto the details of the hunt.

.The first phase of the hunt.

Typically the weaker or more passive mate will be deemed the 'prey' and the more assertive and or stronger mate will be the hunter, Others who also take a fancy to the 'prey' will also join in on the hunt, Competing for the right to a mate.

Now the first part of the hunt was of course, Hunting their target.

The first part of the hunt is important for multiple reasons, Firstly it's to show to their mate that they're not only strong (Being able to fight off competition as well as being able to run and fly for a long while through rough and even dangerous terrain) but also smart (Being able to track their mate through sky and woods).

 During the first part, The 'Prey' is given time to get a head start to either hide or prepare for a fight while the hunters get to know their competition.

While the hunt is happening, Murdering the hunters is accepted for both the 'Prey' and the other hunters (This is very important and you'll see why soon).

The hunters are allowed to harm each other, But not the 'prey'. The 'prey' is never allowed to be harmed.

Now during the hunting phase, The hunters will track their 'prey' down, All the while doing their best to eliminate the competition while doing so.

Friendships and other agreements don't matter during the hunt, It's an all out blood fight. . .For almost everyone.

Now the 'prey' during this time, Has a few different things they can do while the hunters are hunting them down.

They can either: One) Run until dawn comes and they are free from the hunt. Two) Hide and wait until dawn. Three) gather items and set up traps for a fight. Four) Find a place to watch the competition.

Once the 'prey' is found, Things move onto the next phase of the hunt. . .

.The second phase of the hunt.

Now the second phase of the hunt focuses more on the 'prey' then it does the hunters. . .More importantly, Their 'consent'.

Only one hunter will reach this phase, If two make it to the 'prey' then they'll fight it out until the other leaves or dies.

Once one of The hunters is lucky enough to catch up with the 'prey' the real fight begins.

The only thing a hunter is allowed to do during this phase is prevent the 'prey' from escaping (I.e. Holding the 'prey', Continuously blocking escape routs, Following the 'prey' etc).

No harm is to come to the 'prey' during this phase, This is the point in the hunt that decides if the 'prey' is going to end up with the hunter or not.

If the 'prey' doesn't approve of the hunter, Then the 'prey' can (and most of the time will) kill the hunter.

The second phase is very important, If the hunter even slightly displeases the 'prey' during this phase, It's an almost certain loss.

Sometimes the hunters will be too rough in the second phase which will typically end poorly for the hunter.

During the second phase, The hunter must prove to the 'prey' that they're capable of being gentle and patient.

If the 'prey' feels that the hunter is too pushy or if the 'prey' feels too trapped, Typically the hunter will be killed for these transgressions.

Once again, Since this needs repeating: No harm. Is to come to the 'prey'. 

During this time, It's the hunter's job to essentially woo the 'prey'.

If the 'prey' approves of the hunter, Then they'll mate and the 'prey' will be marked, If not, Then the hunter will fail the hunt and the 'prey' will be free to leave. . .Sometimes even with the hunter's head.

After the hunt, The work still wouldn't be done.

.The courting.

After the hunt ends, It's up to the winning hunter to continue to woo the 'prey' until the 'prey' decides to mark the hunter back, Fully accepting the winner as their mate.

Small little assurances and gifts to convince the 'prey' that they didn't make a mistake in accepting the hunter.

This not so talked about bit will continue until the 'prey' decides to mark the hunter back.

The hunter during this time isn't allowed to ask the 'prey' to mark them back nor are they allowed to tell the 'prey' why they're doing all of this.

They must. Accept. The hunter. On. Their. Own.

But. . .In the end, None of this matters anymore.

Modern day hunt.

Now over time, As empires grew stronger, More and more corrupted Homigriffs would end up in power.

Most tribes have completely given up what good that could be found in the admittedly barbaric hunts.

Leaving the 'prey' to be at the mercy of the hunters, With no perks and no consideration given to their feelings or their safty.

There are some exceptions to this, Some tribes still follow the traditional hunt (I.e. Aldo and his tribe), But those tribes are few and far between, Seen often as 'strange'.

So that's the hunts and how they started.

They started during barbaric times yet still had some consideration to them, But over time, Corrupt people do what they do and now. . .

Well. . .Now is not a good time to be 'prey'.

Anyways, Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen