Growing Pains

Anakin had told Ahsoka, Rex, and Jammara to stay on board the cruiser while him and the others started the mission, at least until Kix said they could leave. That was the thing with war, you had to keep going even if your top soldiers were wounded.

Rex was taking a much needed nap, and she didn't want to disturb him, so Ahsoka was taking a stroll around the cruiser, wanting to stretch her legs. She decided to head down to the mess hall and grab some raw meat to fill some of the hunger. She was tired of constantly eating rations, so once she was in the mess, she  went to the conservator and pulled out a small pack of meat. She went to go to a table when she heard a small clatter.

Curious, Ahsoka went to the source of the noise. It happened again and it seemed to be coming from a small closet. She pressed a button and the door slid open. Inside was a little Togruta girl sitting on the ground playing with plastic forks and other utensils.

"Oh no. Annalex, what are you doing here?"

Ahsoka went to the girl and scooped her up, causing her wounds to create some slight discomfort. She put Annalex on her hip and put the pack of meat back, then walked out of the mess hall. While walking through the hallways, she got a few confused looks from the few onboard staff. She would nod at them and continue walking. She got to Rex's quarters and  inputted his passcode.

The door opened up and Ahsoka crept inside. She set Annalex on the ground and went over to Rex who was lying on his stomach. She put a light touch on his shoulder and shook him gently, "Rex. Rex, wake up, we have a situation." She said softly.

He let out a small groan and rolled over, "What is it?" He rubbed at his eyes, then sat up.

Ahsoka took a hold of his hand and helped him out of bed, then pointed to the small Togruta staring up at them. Rex blinked rapidly, "Wait.... what is she doing here?"

Ahsoka shrugged, "Not sure. I don't know how long she's been here or how she even got on. But that doesn't matter, 'cause Anakin's gone and he have to take care of a child."

"'We?' Ha, no I don't think so."

"There's no one else on board suitable for caring for her."

Rex was reluctant, "I don't know...."

"Come on, you're great with kids. We just have to feed her, keep her hydrated and entertained, and overall we just need to watch her. How hard can it be?"

"Don't say that. It can always be hard."

Annalex stared up at them with her big violet eyes. Rex glanced at Ahsoka, then got down on one knee to be somewhat eye level with her. "How old are you?" He asked. Annalex continued to stare and didn't say anything. "Okayyy." He looked at Ahsoka, "Approximate age?"

"Mmm, three, four maybe?"

"Okay. So she should know basic ideas and things, and being at the Temple— oh. How did she escape from the Temple?"

"Rex, I don't know. I'm as clueless as you. Annalex, are you hungry?"

"Yes." Came a small voice from the Togruta.

Rex smirked, "That's probably the second word I've heard from her. Not much a talker, is she?"

"All right. Well, go to the mess and get her some milk and snacky things."

"I have rations here."

"She's a child, she shouldn't eat rations. Not until she's older."

Rex groaned, "Fine." He stood up, "But I'm mad you woke me up."

"Be mad, I don't care. I know you'll get over it."

He rolled his eyes and walked out of the room. Ahsoka want to surprised that he slept in his armor, but it couldn't have been comfortable. She figured off he was tired enough, he could sleep in anything and anywhere. She felt a small tug on her leggings so she looked down.