Nearing the End

—There's a few spoilers for the Republic Commando book series. If you want to read the books, be cautious because I wrote some things that may spoil it, so tread lightly please—

About a day later, Rex and Wolffe met up again, this time in the mess hall.  Both of them sitting at a table and having a light snack before the day started.

"So," Rex said after he took a sip of his caf, "I'm assuming Plo told you about the bill?"

Wolffe started to fumble around with his fork. "Mm-hmm, he did."

Rex rose an eyebrow since the commander looked preoccupied with his thoughts. "You seem distracted, though. Did something happen?"

Wolffe set the fork down. "No, not really. It's just, after the talk about my... rash behavior, we steered away from the political topics and got to talking about other things. You see, after the somewhat sensitive conversation, instead of shaking my hand like a normal person, he hugged me. It was very strange."

Rex stared blankly for a second. "Wait a tick. So he... huh? And you're confused— okay. Do you need me to explain it?" Wolffe did even bat an eye or shrug, he just sat there. "...Okay, well I know you'll never admit it, but Plo is your dad. Don't deny that. He's your dad, and you're his son. That bond you two share is insane. It was a father-son type thing, you get what I'm saying?"

"...maybe."

"You know, I'm surprised he hasn't adopt— oh, wait, never mind. That stupid no attachment rule would make that almost impossible." Wolffe gave him a really? look and Rex shrugged. "Okay, well they're more guidelines than rules... anyway, why are you confused about the hug?"

"Well, it was odd. And I got a weird feeling, it felt like... like..."

"Like you felt all mushy inside?"

"Never say that again."

"What? Mushy?" Rex smirked, but Wolffe gave him a death glare so he wiped that expression away. "Sorry. You felt... soft. Right? Maybe warm inside? I don't know what goes on in that mind of yours, but I'm positive you get feelings and emotions, too. It's not wrong to feel things, you're not human if you don't."

"Well, then I'm not human because I don't have feelings." Wolffe scowled.

"Uh-huh, sure. I mean, I hate to bring it up, but the Wolfpack? How that all started? Yeah, that was sorrow tugging at your heartstrings to do something. Like it or not, you're soft on the inside and Plo sees straight through the stone cold outside." Rex started to get a bit more serious. "You gotta let down some of those walls, Wolffe, it's not healthy. And believe me, I know a lot about bottling things up."

"I know it's not good to bottle things, but I can't help it. You have Ahsoka to spill your guts out to, Bly has Secura, Fox has Chuchi, and who knows how many other clones are in secret relationships. I have no one, Rex. No one."

Rex sighed. "See, that's where you're wrong. Look around, you've got Plo, the entire Wolfpack, you've got me, Ahsoka, Cody, Bly, I could go on if you'd like. You might not realize it, but you have so much support. Even if you are the grumpy one and people are scared of you, that doesn't mean they don't have your back or that they won't listen to y—" Rex got interrupted by the alarm on his chrono beeping. He clicked a button and sighed. "Sorry, but I have to go." He drained his cup of caf before standing up and saying with a pointed finger, "Go talk with Plo again. It'll do you some good." He then put his tray and cup away and walked out of the mess.

~

Roughly two months later, the Separatist senate was slowly coming around with the Republic's political terms. The Battle of Coruscant was one of the last large battles in the Clone War and it costed many lives and depleted the Republic's sources, but it always took the Sep resources too. Ahsoka and Rex were having a talk in Rex's quarters about the future, since it was something that needed discussing now that things where slowly wrapping up.