The Child

It was the next morning, and Ahsoka was sitting up and Rex was sleeping half on her bed and half on his chair, it couldn't have been comfortable, especially with his armor, but he was able to sleep anywhere if he was tired enough. He was resting his head in her lap and she was playing with his hair. She ran her finger against the way his hair grew and it felt rough yet smooth, and prickly yet soft. Strange. Rex slightly shifted and he pulled the bundle of sheet he used as a pillow closer to him, causing it to ride up over the bed and it let the cold air reach Ahsoka's legs, making her shudder, "Rex," she said softly.

Rex gasped and pushed himself off her and back into his chair, "Oh jeez I forgot you were here. I though I was alone," he rubbed his eyes tiredly. "Ugh, these brights are light," He stopped what he was doing and looked at Ahsoka confused, she was trying really hard not to laugh, "I didn't say that right, did I?" Ahsoka shook her head, still containing her laughter, "I meant... the lights are bright," he said slowly.

She calmed down, "The brights aren't that light," she joked.

Rex smirked and shook his head. He stretched his arms and then his stomach rumbled, "Guess I hungry, you want anything?"

"Could I come with you, I'm itching to get out and about,"

"Sure, got any clean clothes?"

"Yeah. In that bag over there," she pointed over to the bedside table.

Rex got up and picked up the bag, setting it on the chair he was just in. Ahsoka took off her blanket and saw some bandages on her legs. Rex pulled out a fresh pair of clothes for Ahsoka, "Will you need help?" He asked.

"I don't know. Maybe,"

He scooted the chair to the side and Ahsoka put her legs over the end of the bed. She slid down and her bare feet touched the cold floor tiles. She carefully stood up with the help of Rex and she felt sore all over. Rex held up a pair of her leggings, "Are these gonna fit over your bandages?"

"We'll have to try I guess,"

Rex nodded and handed them to Ahsoka. After a few minutes, she was finally out of the medical wear and into her actual clothes, with the help of Rex of course.

"How do you feel?" He asked.

"It's like the burned areas are stiff and don't want to cooperate with me,"

Rex chuckled, "I meant your clothes. Are they to tight?"

"No they're fine,"

"Alright,"

Rex quickly brushed his teeth and did the things he usually did in the mornings, and he came back to Ahsoka, "Let's just do some light walking first to see how well you can do that."

Ahsoka nodded and took a few tentative steps forward. Her skin felt tight where the burns were, and it was uncomfortable. She also felt some of the bacta gel rubbing against her skin and the bandages. Rex had his hand out in case she were to lose her balance. Rex opened the curtain for her and they left the med bay after a few minutes of slow walking.  They started to head down the hall to the mess hall, they turned the corner, but Rex cut it too sharp and bumped into it, nearly falling and he tripped over his own feet.

Ahsoka snorted, "Maybe I should be the one helping you walk,"

Rex rubbed his shoulder, "Yeah yeah very funny,"

Anakin suddenly popped out of nowhere, "Rex!" He said breathlessly, "I need your help,"

"What's wrong?" He asked worriedly.

"Hi Ahsoka," Anakin said and Ahsoka waved at him, "It's the baby,"

" 'baby?' " She repeated.

"You didn't tell her!?"