Chapter 2: sensory overload

Karl was suddenly hit with different colors, from greens from the forest to reds, oranges and yellows, different sounds, calming and quiet to lava, mobs and different sounds all in general. He immediately fell to his knees and gripped his hoodie. His chest felt tight. Usually he'd have someone here with him holding him close wilst going through and covering his eyes and nose, slowly helping him ajust, but he was hit suddenly with everything it triggered him.

He covered his eyes and sat against the red stone behind him. He pulled his knees to his chest and hyperventilated. He sobbed and coughed from how hard he was breathing and crying.

He felt a hand on his shoulder but his mind felt like he was out of his body, knowing what was happening but he couldn't control anything. His body wouldn't agree to hug the familiar person, or stop shaking, stop crying, nothing was working. He suddenly blacked out as he usually did when an attack like this happened.

When karl blacks out, it doesn't mean he's passed out, his mind, himself isn't in control and he doesnt know or remember what happened.

All he remembered now was slowly gaining vision and control. His body still shook but his breathing calmed the best it could for now. He looked at sapnap and whimpered. "S-sap- I-i should have listened- I-i should have waited until s-someone was h-here to take me-"

Sapnap shook his head and gave a small "shh.." karl curled in on himself and sniffled looking around at the lava. He closed his eyes at how bright it was. "It's ok.. why did you go alone?. You never do that.."

Karl shifted and shrugged "I-i needed to get to the snow biom to pi-... Uh.. get something.." sapnap frowned softly. "What did you need?."
Karl whimpered again. He didn't want to tell his boyfriend what he needed, he wouldn't understand why it was so important to just go get these without help from anyone to get there.

"Karl.." sapnap said softly, but soon let it go. "Hey.. do you still need to pick it up today?." Karl just honestly wanted to go home at this point. "No.. I can do it tomorrow.. I'll just text the person I can't come today.." sapnap nodded and gently picked him up. He whispered gently to karl as they went back through the portal. He began walking home with karl.

Sapnap hadn't finished training with dream and George yet, but right now he knew that didn't matter. It had only been about 30 minutes since they'd left the house so it was now around 12:30. We could be doing something important right now, karl thought, not walking home just 30 minutes after leaving..

Sapnap didn't mind taking a day off from training, hell, he didn't mind at all, he was glad he could have a day off, and he knew karl wouldn't want to stay home alone doing nothing.

They made it home and sap sat karl on the couch. Karl grabbed a fuzzy blanket and curled up in it. Sapnap sat beside him and pulled him close. Karl sighed softly "I'm sorry.. you had to waste a day just to be here with me.. cause I did something dumb.."

Sapnap looked at him "hey.. no.. I want to be here karl, and whatever you needed sounded pretty important because you risk that.." karl shrugged "yeah I guess.." sapnap sat there playing with his hair to keep him calm.

Karl soon fell asleep. Quackity didn't come home until about 3:30. Sap had put karl in their bed with his fab blowing on him on the lowest setting and a blanket over him. Sapnap told quackity about what happened. Quackity was worried but glad he was ok now.

Karl didn't wake up until about 4:35. He slowly sat up and rubbed his eyes looking around. 'i could have sworn I was on the couch with sapnap.. I guess he moved me..' he thought.

And then the worry set in. 'what if he saw my binder?..'

It was a thought that just suddenly popped up in his mind. He never was really in control of his thoughts, they just randomly appeared. He shifted at the thought and shook his head "there's no way he could've.." he mumbled to himself.

He slowly removed the blanket and got up. He went to the bathroom and then downstairs. Quackity and sapnap were watching a movie, or a show on the couch. They hadn't noticed karl. He looked at the two and smiled slightly. 'i wish they didn't have to care for me so much.. they look so happy.. carefree..' he shook his head and walked back to the room.

Sapnap looked up "lets go check on karl"
Quackity sighed "sap, I know your worried, but you just checked on him 20 minutes ago, and he was sound asleep. He's fine mi amor.." sapnap sighed "can we at least just... Go give him a surprise cuddle?.. like.. lay and cuddle with him?. Please?"

Quackity shifted and huffed "fiine, but only because that sounds really sweet and fun." They both got up and went to the room.

What they didn't expect was to see their boyfriend sitting on the edge of the bed, seemingly in deep thought and squirming a bit.

They looked at each other and walked in.