Time with Colin (SJ)

Y/N pov:My mum recently got married to Colin

Y/N pov:
My mum recently got married to Colin. I'm happy for her, but at the same time I'm scared - every man she's been in a relationship has always left, so I'm afraid to get close to them as they always disappoint me.

I was sat on my bed reading the first Hunger Games, I love reading as it takes me out of the real world and into a fake one where nothing matters. The best part of the book had just come up when I heard a knock on my door. I put the book down and shouted 'come in'. My mum stepped into the room, she was beautiful. Every time I looked at her it reminded me how blessed I was to have her in my life. She would always be there for me no matter what, and I was so thankful for that.

She smiled at me before gently saying "Hey bubs, me and Colin are going to watch some movies and we would really love it if you were to join. What do you think?" I looked up at her, contemplating whether I should or if I should just stay up here where nothing bad will happen. As much as it hurt me, I decided it would be best to stay up here. "Sorry mum, maybe another time as I'm reading and I just got to a really good part."

The look on her face was one I've seen too many times when all the men left - sadness and disappointment. This hurt me that I'd made her feel like this.

Scarlett's pov:
My daughter could see the look of hurt on my face when she said no. She hadn't made any effort to bond with Colin and so because of that they didn't have a good relationship and I wish they did.

"Okay Y/N, have fun reading your book, I'll come see you later." With that I walked off and went back downstairs to see my husband.

He looked up at me with hopeful eyes, I just shook my head at him. He knew what it meant. "I take it she said no?" He said to me. With tears in my eyes I looked at him "Of course she did, she hasn't even made any effort at all with you. I don't know why she's being like this, she never usually is."

Colin bought me into a side hug and whispered to me "Don't worry babe, there has to be a reason and I'm sure she'll tell you when she's ready. How about you go lie down for a while?" I nodded and went to our shared bedroom.

Y/N pov:
When my mum left my room, I could see how upset she was. I followed her onto the stairs so I could hear what she was going to say.

The things she said were true, but that didn't stop it from upsetting me. I knew I had to do something. At least give him a chance. Maybe I would be surprised, he might not be like all the others were.

I heard Colin say to my mum that she should go and lie down, so I silently made my way back to my bedroom so she wouldn't see me. When I'd heard her go past I took a deep breath and made my way downstairs. Colin was sat on the sofa on his phone. I knew this was my chance.

"Um hi Colin, can I speak to you for a second?" He turned to look at me with a surprised look on his face, but quickly covered it up with a more serious look. "Of course you can Y/N." was all he said in response.

"Okay so I don't really know where to start but I'm going to try and explain why I haven't made an effort to get to know you. Basically everyone my mum has ever been with has left me and her. I've always gotten close to them all and in the end they are always the same. They will be there for a few years, and then leave. I expect it now from them, but it still hurts every time it happens. Like my dad, one of the men who is meant to love me the most, be my built in best friend, he just left me and mum and never got in contact again. It's just the same cycle with everyone. Yeh, so um that's why I haven't tried to get to know you, because I'm scared that if I do then you'll just leave as well, and I can't handle another person leaving."

Wow that was a lot of talking, to be honest I didn't mean for all that to come out in one go. However it does feel good to get it off of my chest. My mum didn't even know that I felt like this as I didn't want to upset her.

Colin's pov: (surprise!!)
Everything she said to me, it made sense. It was sad that a 12 year old has gone through that much loss in her life. I knew that I would have to be the one who stays, the dad she's never really had.

I looked over to her, she was crying and to be honest I was close to tears as well. "I'm glad you told me this. I'm not going to leave like all the rest of them did, I'm here to stay. I love you and your mum so much, I can never replace your dad, even if he wasn't the best. But I can be there for you, we're family now, and family sticks together." And with that I bought her into a side hug while she was crying.

I heard her faint whisper "Thankyou Colin, that means a lot. I love you" I don't know if she knew I heard, but it bought a smile onto my face.

She was still quietly crying, so I gently rubbed my hand up and down her arm to try and calm her down. Around 5 mins later, I heard soft snores coming from next to me. I looked over, and Y/N was fast asleep, curled up next to me.

Knowing she came to me to talk about that made me happy. As much hurt that she had been through, I'm glad she didn't bottle it up for any longer. I put on the tv and set it to a low volume as to not wake her up.

As soon as I'd done this, I heard Scar come downstairs. I turned round slightly and put a finger to my lips and pointed down towards Y/N telling her to be quiet.

Scarlett's pov:
As I was sat upstairs, I thought I could hear crying downstairs. I decided to wait and see if it stopped and then I would go and see what that was all about.

Around 5 mins later, it stopped so I decided it was time to go and see if everyone was okay. I slowly made my way downstairs and when I got to the bottom, Colin turned around, put his finger to his lips and pointed down. I was a bit confused as to why he had done this.

I walked round to the other side of Colin, to see my daughter asleep cuddled up next to him. The sight of them together made my heart swell. I proceeded to look at Colin for an explanation on how this had happened.

He explained everything and told me what she had said to him. By the end of it, I was in tears, the things she said broke my heart, not just as a mum hearing those words, but just that a 12 year old girl had gone through all of that by herself. I never knew she felt like this, but I knew that with Colin it would be different. I was so proud of her that she had managed to come and speak to him and tell him this.

Carefully I picked up my daughter and I sat down next to Colin. I put her in my arms like a baby, because in my mind she would always be my little girl no matter how big she got. As I settled back down, she started to stir, I stroked her hair and told her to go back to sleep and with that she did.

For the rest of the evening, me and Colin were sat cuddled together, with our daughter sleeping on me. At this moment I couldn't have asked for a better family.