Fire (SJ)

*Rose is Scarlett and Colin's biological child*

Warnings - mentions of fires

Y/N's pov:
I was adopted by Scarlett when I was around 8 years old. For the first 4 years I lived with her, everything was perfect. We spent most days together and were super close. Colin came along when I was 10, but the dynamic stayed the same. That all changed when Rose was born.

As Rose was Scarlett and Colin's biological child, it's obvious they were going to love her more. However what I didn't expect to happen was for me to be basically abandoned.

She started hanging out with Rose all the time, and whenever I asked to hang out, she would say she was busy. But then I would find her doing something with Rose. We would still speak, but only at meal times. I just tried stayed out of the way and let them be a happy family. I didn't want to be ungrateful, as many people would love to be adopted by Scarlett, so I never said anything.

Now Rose is 5 and this means me and mum haven't really hung out in 5 years. I'm not even sure if she knows what she's been doing, if she does then she doesn't care. It hurts. But then at the same time I'm used to it.

-

It was the middle of the night and I was woken up by a bang coming from downstairs. I took a deep breath to try and calm myself. That's when I smelt it. Smoke.

I could hear mum and dad frantically rushing around. "Y/N quick we need to get outside. There's a fire."

Looking round to see if we had everyone, I nodded my head and we made our way downstairs. It was so bad. There was smoke everywhere and most of the furniture was on fire.

We quickly made our way outside and onto the field next to our house. I looked over at mum, only to see her go pale.

Scarlett's pov:
I woke both of my children up and we all made our way downstairs. I was terrified. Everything downstairs was on fire.

Once we were outside, I tried to reach out for Roses hand. That's when I noticed she wasn't there. My face immediately paled. She was still in the house. The house that was now pretty much all up in flames.

"Mum."    "Mum are you okay?"  "What's the matter?"    "How can I help?"

I could hear Y/N asking me all sorts of questions and that's when I finally snapped. "Y/N shut up. My only daughter is still in the house. Do you think I'm fucking okay?"

I didn't fail to miss the flash of hurt that crossed her face, and the tears that filled her eyes, but I was too angry and scared to care.

Next thing I know, Y/N is running back towards the house, disappearing into the fire.

Y/N's pov:
My heart broke when mum said that. I knew what I had to do. I had to get Rose.
She was more important than I was.

I started running towards the house, ignoring mum and dads shouts, and straight into the fire. My lungs immediately filled with smoke and I found it hard to breathe.

"Rose!" I called out as best as I could.

"Y/N I'm over here." I heard a small voice say. My heart breaking when I heard it.

I made my way towards the voice and saw Rose curled up underneath the table. I picked her up and turned around. Only to be met with beams now falling down. This would be hard to get out of.

I took a few steps forward, Rose clinging onto me for dear life. Hearing a snap, I tried to look around for where it came from, but I couldn't see.

Next thing I know, I'm on the floor with a collapsed beam on my leg. I screamed out in pain making Rose scream as well.

Somehow I managed to push the beam off, but when I tried to stand it hurt so bad. My leg was definitely broken. I knew I had to carry on though, at least get Rose out.

More smoke filled my lungs, I was barley breathing at this point. I had pushed Rose's head into my shoulder so she wouldn't inhale as much.

I worked through the pain and got us out of the house. I put Rose down and heard her shout "mummy!" and then black.

Scarlett's pov:
After a while, 2 figures left the house. I let out a sigh of relief. Rose came running over to me and I embraced her in a hug. I looked up to see where Y/N was, only to see her collapse to the floor.

That's when the firemen and paramedics came running past me. They put Y/N on a stretcher and took her to an ambulance. Me, Rose and Colin got in with her and made our way to the hospital.

>time skip to 3 months later<

It's been 3 months and she's still in a coma. I've stayed at the hospital almost everyday, only going home when absolutely necessary.

I looked down at my daughter, she looked so small. "Baby I'm so so sorry for the way I treated you. I don't know why I did what I did. You're my daughter too, blood or not. It was selfish on my behalf, if I could take back the last 5 years I would. I just don't know what to say, no words will be able to express how sorry I am. I almost lost you. I don't know what I would of done if I had. You put yourself in danger to go and save Rose, even after the way I treated you. I'll forever be grateful to have someone like you as my kid, I just hope one day you have it in you to forgive me. I love you so much."

By the end of it I felt tears roll down my cheeks and a hand reach up and wipe them away. My head jolted down and I saw my daughter awake, tears in her eyes as well.

She took a deep breath before saying, "Mum, it's okay. I forgive you. I'm just lucky to have someone like you. Yes the last 5 years could have been handled differently but I don't blame you for what you did. I get it. And I love you so so much."

I climbed into the bed next to her and she snuggled into my side. I began stroking her hair and a few minutes later I heard soft snores coming from her. Not long after, I let the much needed sleep wash over me.

^^ Besties don't be mad that we forgave her that fast - I don't like writing angst. I'm sorry