Devi Ganga's blessing

Hastinapur

Just like every morning, Adhirath came to the bank of river Ganga to do his puja to the rising sun. Adhirath was a charioteer by profession, working for the royal family of Hastinapur. He was an ardent devotee of Suryadev and every morning he came to the river to pay his tribute to Sun God. Today he was very upset. Adhirath lived in his ancestral family house with his wife Radha, his elder brother Vikram and sister-in-law Renumati (these are all fictitious characters developed by me just for the story's sake and have no historical or mythological relevance). Adhirath and Radha had no child and because of that both Vikram and Renumati always humiliated her. Every time Radha gave birth to a child it was stillborn. Because of that now all other people of their community were also considered Radha as a bad omen. No one called Radha to an auspicious ceremony and day by day Radha was getting depressed. Yesterday she gave birth for the fourth time and like previous times this time again she again had a stillborn son. Radha was heartbroken. After performing his son's last rites, Adhirath came to the bank of the river to calm his mind.

Adhirath looking towards the rising sun said 'Why lord, why this is happening to us. If we did any sin, please forgive us. Didn't we suffer enough? Please God, I just want a child who can fulfill the void of our life.' Saying this he started crying sitting on the bank of the river.

'Putra Adhirath' Adhirath looked up listening to a melodious female voice. He was stunned to see a beautiful woman in front of her. She had a divine aura around her and Adhirath could definitely tell that she was a Goddess.

'Pranaam Devi, who are you?' asked Adhirath.

'I am Devi Ganga my son. I see you every day coming here and doing your puja for Sun God but why are you crying, my son. Life and death are parts of the cosmic cycle. Your kids were innocents, so they are happy in their afterlife. You should accept this as your destiny.'

Adhirath – 'Mata somehow I can manage myself but my wife, I don't know if she can accept this pain any longer. I don't know how to convince her. Please, Devi, you are Papnashini Ganga, please help me, or today both of us will give up our life in your water.'

Devi Ganga – 'Committing suicide is a sin Putra. Okay, you want a son, and as I am happy with your devotion as you are an honest man, I will give you a son.'

Saying that Devi Ganga brought the baby in front of Adhirath. He was stunned by seeing the kid with the Divya Kavach-kundal.

Adhirath 'Mata who is he? He looks like a devputra.'

Devi Ganga 'Yes Putra, he is the mortal son of Suryadev and Devi Sangya. Because of some unforeseen circumstances, he has to stay on earth to fulfill some duties. Adhirath, though he is a mortal, he has divine powers in him. His powers are subdued now but on time they will emerge. You shall take proper care of him. But remember one thing, he is destined to do many great things, but evil forces will try to harm him, so never let anyone know about his true parentage. Tell everyone that he is your son. This is an order from the Gods.'

Adhirath 'Mata I am honored to have such a great responsibility. But Mata we are Suta (lower cast) and Sutas are not allowed to have the proper education or learn fighting skills. How are we supposed to prepare him for the upcoming dangers? I think you should take him to the royal family so that they can train him properly.'

Devi Ganga 'Don't worry about his weapon training or education. I am leaving him to you so that he can learn morality from you. In your house, he can learn about the actual conditions of the society which he will never understand in the royal palace. In his journey, those experiences will help him to make the right decisions. Now promise me Putra, you will never reveal his secret to anybody.'

Adhirath- 'I promise Mata, I will never tell his secrets to anyone and I will take good care of him. But Mata what will I call him?'

Devi Ganga kissed the baby's forehead and said 'He born with Divya Kavach-kundal so he will be known as Vasusen. He has golden kundals in his ear so he will also be known as Karna.' Then by giving the boy to Adhirath Devi Ganga said 'Go my son, this is the beginning of your journey. But remember, your Dhatrimata's blessings will be always with you.'

When Adhirath took the child in his hand the Kavach disappeared. He took the baby to his house where Radha was crying. He gave the kid to Radha.

Radha 'Arya, from where did you get the baby?'

Adhirath 'Radha I found him on the bank of the river, crying alone. I think this is the message from the Gods. We should keep him.'

Radha was so overwhelmed that she hugged the boy into her chest and cried with joy.

In Swarglok

Tridev and their respective wives were watching this and smiled

'So the journey of our champion has started, let's see where will his destiny takes him and which path he is going to choose.'