Karna-not a happy childhood

Hastinapur

Seven years later

A seven-year-old boy was standing near the bank of river Ganga. The sun was setting, and a beautiful vermillion color was spread both into the sky and water. The boy was praying to the Sun God. Just like his father, he was an ardent devotee of Suryadev and Lord Narayan. Since he was a toddler, his father took him to the bank of river Ganga and taught him Suryapuja. Since then, he never missed that ritual. In fact, he always felt solace in presence of the Sun and Ganga. During summer when everyone rushed to find a shade, he was always comfortable even in the scorching heat.

After completing his prayer, the little boy sat on a rock near the river. Absentmindedly he looked at the setting sun and thought 'What did I do wrong? Why Mata was always angry with me? I just wanted to learn archery, then what is wrong with it? All the elders said it is adharma but then why do those rich people living in the city can learn it? Why there are such differences between us?'

He remembered those times whenever he asked questions regarding the social norms his elders either scolded him or tried to avoid him. His mother thought that by punishing him they could refrain him from asking questions. So sometimes she beat him or even he was not allowed to eat. Today was a day when he was punished again. He by mistake forgot to bring dry cow dung cakes from the nearby milkman's house on time. That is why his mother punished him by beating him with a stick.

'Putra Vasu' suddenly he heard his father's voice. He wiped his tears and smiled at his father, 'Pirashree, how was your day?'. 'How could my day be good as my dear Vasu is sad?' Adhirath said. He was also feeling very bad seeing Vasusen like this. He knows that whatever question Vasu asked those were completely logical. In the Suta families, since childhood, the kids were taught to act like perfect workers in front of the higher caste. They were taught to obey their masters without questions. All the Suta's have specific professions and their kids should learn that professional skills only. As they were not allowed to have proper education, they were also exploited by the higher classes. Adhirath himself sometimes thought that all these laws were not justified but no one in their community had the courage to speak it loudly. The higher-class people were very powerful and even if there was any person who tried to say anything against them, it was considered as adharm and their entire community was punished.

'Please don't be sad Pitashree. Look, I am fine, and I am sorry for causing you trouble.' Said Vasu smiling sweetly. Seeing his sweet smile Adhirath's mind was filled with immense joy. He knew that Vasusen was not an ordinary child. He was a demi-god but nothing he could do to give him proper education or protect him from the social unjust.

'Hey, Ganga Mata, why did you give this son to me? I am not worthy of having such a boon' thought Adhirath. Then he looked at his son and asked, 'Did you eat anything son? I am hungry, let us go home and eat something.' Then seeing his son's face Adhirath understood that again his wife did not give him anything to eat since morning. Upon seeing Radha's present behavior towards Karna Adhirath felt disturbed. For the first two years, she loved him as her own son, but after that, she gave birth to her son- Shon. Then next year they got another girl Laxmi. After that Radha started considering Karna as a burden. Adhirath tried to explain to her that it was Karna's good luck that brought such joy to their house, but Radha was adamant. She who was humiliated and considered unlucky before, because of her 'barren' status, now considered Karna as 'someone's sin burdened on us', that the exact word she used for Karna. Now she treated Karna almost as a servant. Adhirath was helpless, he could not do anything. He knew that it was his brother and sister-in-law who poisoned Radha's mind against Karna. Adhirath knew that Radha was committing a great sin. Treating any child like this is bad and Karna was a Demi-god. The son of none other than Suryadev himself.

'Father, let's go home, I know you are tired from your work.' said Karna

'Vasu, my sweet boy, please forgive your mother for being so harsh on you,' said Adhirath.

'No Pitashree, please don't say that she is my mother, she has every right to punish me as I know what she is doing, is for my own benefit. I will apologize to her and I know that she will forgive me.' Karna said with a sweet smile.

Adhirath forcefully smiled and thought, 'You are too forgiving son. You always see good in everyone.'

At night Adhirath decided to talk to Radha when their children were asleep. Radha was preparing the bed for both of her kids in their bedroom. Since her daughter was born, she did not allow Karna to sleep inside their house. The poor kid slept outside on the balcony even in the winter season. But Karna never complained. Once Adhirath asked him if he was feeling bad, he replied that his baby siblings needed space and as their elder brother it was his duty to take care of their comfort. Sometimes Adhirath felt that it would be better if Karna was a little less forgiving.

 Sometimes Adhirath felt that it would be better if Karna was a little less forgiving

Adhirath 'Radha we need to talk about Karna. Why do you hate that kid so much? A few days back you mercilessly beat him just because he failed to keep your daughter quiet while she was crying. Even today you kept him starved and beat him again just because he was a little late to bring dried cow dung cake. Why are you doing this to him? What will you gain by torturing him?'

Radha 'Just because of that boy you are questioning me? You know that boy is a menace. He always asked those stupid questions and try to rebel against the social norms. Just because of him others humiliated us. He deliberately did not do his works properly and always try to cause problems for my family. If you want to keep your family safe, you should throw that piece of trash out from our house.'

Adhirath (angrily) 'Radha, I am warning you. How could you say such harsh words against your son? Do not forget you were also humiliated once because of your 'barren' status. It is Karna who brings good luck to our life. You should be grateful to that boy and instead, you are insulting him.'

Radha 'Jyasht Vikram and Bhabi Renumati were right. That boy is a bad omen. Just because of him, you are humiliating me. I know that Karna will take away everything from me one day. Why don't you understand? You are not a rich man, whatever small property you have it shall be given to our kids, not to that illegitimate boy.'

Adhirath 'Don't you dare to call him illegitimate. You have no idea who his father is'.

Radha 'Who is his father? I want to know... tell me.'

Adhirath controlled himself. He promised Devi Ganga that he will keep Karna's identity a secret. He just controlled himself and said 'I don't know but one thing I am sure, he belongs to a higher-class family. Don't you see his Kundal?'

Radha 'Don't you try to pacify me by saying these nonsenses. If you want to keep him here then I don't want him to de treated like our own kids. He is a fatherless child whose own family threw him away and I don't want to waste my time on such a boy. If he wants to stay he can stay as a servant as I am not going to give him free food. ' Saying that Radha entered the bedroom and locked the door.

Adhirath (thinking) 'Radha you don't know what crime you are committing. I know that Jyasht and Bhabi are poisoning your mind against him. They are jealous of Karna's intelligence and humble nature as their own kids were big bullies and stupid. Because of them, you are insulting God's blessing and this sin of yours will surely be going to ruin us one day. '

Note- Sorry for making Radha a negative character here. But eventually, she will understand how wrong she is and she will change herself. This is just to develop the story.