Panchali's swyamvar

Taking Krishna's advice King Drupad started the preparation for Draupadi's Swyamvar. He wanted a great warrior like Arjun to be Draupadi's husband. He was very impressed by Arjun's prowess in the war and his main goal was to have him as his son-in-law so that he could snatch away Drona's best weapon. But after hearing the news of Pandava's death he was disappointed. But he then wanted to marry Draupadi off to a King or Prince who was as good as Arjun so that he could defeat Drona and took back his kingdom.  So he asked Dhrishtadyumna to arrange a test which was almost impossible to pass, except for an extraordinary archer.

The news of Draupadi's beauty was spread to every corner of Aryavart. So when invitations were sent to all the kingdoms, everyone became excited to take part in the Swyamvar. Duryodhana was also excited to take part in the swyamvar. Shakuni also thought that it would be a good opportunity to make an alliance with Panchal. But Duryodhana did not want to go without his best friend Karna.

 In fact for the last few months, Duryodhana never let Karna leave his side. Karna helped him in administrative works as Duryodhana though a skilled warrior but not very good in politics and diplomacy. So Karna gave him advice and with his help, Duryodhana did all his works properly. Gandhari forced Dhritarashtra to appoint Karna as Duryodhana's assistant. Though it made Aswatthama and Shakuni jealous but Shakuni knew that they needed Karna for their own benefit. But one thing that irritated Shakuni was with Karna's influence Duryodhana gradually became less egoistic and arrogant. In fact, he sometimes even countered Shakuni's opinions in stately matters. Though Shakuni did not like it but he knew that as Pandavas were removed from their path, it was just a  matter of time that Duryodhana would be the Yuvraj of Hastinapur and as his beloved nephew soon he would remove Bheesm, Vidur, Drona and Kripacharya from their positions. Then Shakuni and his sons would be the chief ministers of the state.

Karna was not very excited about the swyamvar. But Gandhari requested Karna as she knew that if anything bad happened there, only Karna could manage her sons. So he prepared for the journey. 

On the other hand, in Karna's house, Radha was started looking for a nice girl for Karna. Like every mother she also wanted her son to settle in his life. In Hastinaput everybody knew about Karna. They all saw how he defeated the mighty Arjun and heard how he killed Jarasandha. So many Suta families were eager to have Karna as their son-in-law. Renumati was also excited as she wanted her aunt's daughter Mrinalini as her sister-in-law. Mrinalini was very beautiful. She was the only child of the local goldsmith. But since childhood, she was very stubborn and never took 'no' for an answer. Once she and her mother came to meet Renumati and there she saw Karna and fell in love with him. She told Renumati about her feelings and Renu informed that to her mother-in-law. However, Karna was oblivious to all these discussions regarding his marriage. 

A few days later, Duryodhana, Dusshshan, Shakuni and Karna left for Kalimpya. When they reached there the princes and Shakuni were welcomed with great pomp and splendor. Karna stayed with Duryodhana as he was not only his assistant but his best friend and bodyguard. When all the Kings and Princes were taken to the royal feast, Karna left to visit the city of Kalimpya. Kalimpya was a very beautiful city. Karna was wondering but one thing bothered him that the caste system was very strict there. All higher class people lived lavishly but the lower caste people's conditions were very bad. They lived outskirts and could not use the same marketplace or temples. The King only listened to the riches and the poor had no one to complain about their problems. In that kingdom, the lower caste people were not allowed to had education or weapon training just like Hastinapur. But at least now, in Hastinapur many people were opposing these rules and now taking Karna as their idol they were also learning archery, sastra etc. 

Karna 'I don't know for how long these malpractices will go on. When will people learn that there is only one caste on earth  and that is humanity.'