Shakuni's Plan

Duryodhana was heartbroken. He could not believe that he said those harsh words to his best friend. Also he raised his hand on him just for the stupid Dusshasshan. How could he do that? When he entered his room he saw Bhanumati was fuming. His mother was also angry with him.

Gandhari, 'Wow son, very good job. Today you show a servant his true place. Great! I am proud of you.'

Duryodhana was surprised. His mother never talked to him in this way.  

Duryodhana, 'Mata I know I did a grave mistake. I should have think before act.'

Gandhari, 'It's not a mistake, it's a sin that you have committed. How could you say those words to Karna? The person who did everything for you,he protected you, helped you to be a better person. It is Karna because of whom you got the love of your life. In return, he did not ask anything and you..you insulted him and his family.'

Bhanumati, 'Arya, I always thought that you are hot-headed and impulsive but inside you are a good person who respects others. But today you broke my trust in you. '

Duryodhana almost in tears, 'I know I did a grave sin. I was confused about him. Dusshashan planted doubts in my mind against him. First he did not protect Shishupal or did anything against the Panadavas when they insulted me. And now he beat Dusshasshan.'

Bhanumati, 'Arya, I don't know much about politics and diplomacy but one thing I am sure of. Bhrata did not wage war against Pandavas on Indraprashtha because if he did something like that, it will break the deal we have with them. Then all 100 kings and Dwarka will attack us. He stopped you to fight with that Pandavas just to protect you.'

Gandhari, 'As for Shishupal, he should be punished long before the Indraprastha incident. Do you have any idea what he tried to do with Meenakshi?'

Then Gandhari told him how Avantika and Karna saved Meenakshi from Shishupal and they did not inform anybody about it to protect Meenakshi's dignity.  

Duryodhana wished the ground to swallow him up. How could he be so stupid? He should have thought that Karna who was always calm and cool, when beat Dusshasshan, then there must be a valid reason behind it. Oh God, he insulted his best brother, a brother. Yes, he considered Karna as his brother. Most of his brothers were either stupid or busy in their own work. They never paid much attention to Duryodhana's loneliness or his insecurities. It was Karna who always understood him. He remembered, how Karna worked hard on administration and diplomacy to help Duryodhana. He never took credit for those works and always praised Duryodhana for it in front of the others. All other people like Dusshasshan, Aswatthama, even Shakuni always tried to show how good they were. But Karna always tried to prove Duryodhana worthy. 

Bhanumati, 'As for beating Dusshasshan, he not only kidnapped Subhadra and Charulata, he also called Pitamaha a servant. If Karna did not beat him then Haldhar Balram would surely kill him today. In fact, they wanted to punish him by himself. But after seeing his condition they just gave him exile. Bhrata did a favor on him by beating him.'

Duryodhana broke down, 'I will apologize to him. I will bring him back at any cost. And I know he will definitely forgive me...right Mata.'

Gandhari, 'I am not sure Putra. This time you have gone too far.'

The next morning, Duryodhana rushed to the bank of river Ganga as he knew Karna every day went for his morning Suryapuja. Karna was already done so he was returning then he met Duryodhana.

Duryodhana, 'Mitra, I am sorry. Please forgive me. I don't know what happened to me.'

Karna (calmly), 'But I know what happened to you. You were speaking the truth.....a mere servant hit a prince. How could you tolerate, right? So why are you here today? Want to arrest me for hitting a prince or to take revenge?'