May 27, 2016

Dear World,

There was a super typhoon that wrecked some part of the country where I live. The church that I'm in, decided to donate some relief goods to those people that were affected by the typhoon. Dad wasn't there at the house, said that he will be in the affected area helping those people to build their homes and other stuff.

Mom decided to come home early from her restaurant because she would like to help pack the relief goods that will be held in the church. Tomorrow will be the shipment of the goods and there's been a lot of goods that aren't packed yet and ready to be sent.

Mom asked me and Maddie if we would like to come with her to the church and help pack. She knew that it might end late and she can't have a babysitter for us nor leave the two of us alone in the house.

I know that we're almost adults (especially me) but she reasoned that she still doesn't trust us being left alone in the house. It's not like it's a big deal the way she said it but maybe because I'm so interested in coming with her to help.

I've seen the news and some footage of the damage and the people's situation is so gut-wrenching. I can't stand not helping or letting the opportunity to help pass. We hopped in the car and went to church at seven in the evening.

When we arrived at the place, there were long tables that were put together to make an even longer row of tables where the goods are put. The rights were divided into two parts; the ready-to-pack goods and the packed goods that will be boxed. The left side long table where all the goods aren't still grouped. The canned goods are still in their boxed, donated clothes are still on their packs and much other stuff.

Since Maddie and I were teens, we were instructed to first unpack the goods and put them neatly on the table. I was in the mood for cutting out the straw rope and tape out of those cardboard boxes so I went there and did it. Maddie was the one who got the canned goods out of my opened boxes.

We were doing that until I heard another group of teenagers come inside. The others cheered for them when they came inside and I looked at the newcomers. Turns out it was Ethan and some of his friends. They were carrying some large boxes filled with clothes (as said on the labels)

It must be heavy, that's why they received a cheer. Since it still needed to be packed together with the canned goods, the following boxes were placed to where the canned goods boxes are, which I happen to be stationed as well.

When I realized that they were coming in my direction I put my attention back to what I'm doing and ignored all of them that were placing the box. Since Ethan blocked me on Instagram, I didn't talk to him or anything.

He would ignore me and I won't catch his attention as well. When all the boxes were laid and no more boxes needed to be brought in, Ethan's group joined us in packing the goods. So I went to the goods that I know the boys will get bored doing or won't have an interest in doing; folding the clothes.

I told Maddie that she will do the opening of the following boxes from the clothes and that I will do the folding. Maddie agreed and she opened the nearest huge box of clothes and I started folding. I got so immersed in folding the clothes that I didn't notice that Maddie already left me and went to do another task.

I was reaching for the opened box to get the remaining clothes out when another hand beat me into it and pour out the clothes beside me. That hand belongs to no other than Ethan himself. Whew, talking about me being awkward.

"Hi." Ethan said.

"Hey, you alright?"

"All good, you?"

"Doing great. Thanks for the hand." I went back to folding the clothes.

To my surprise, Ethan started folding the clothes as well. Too much for thinking that boys will get bored doing this kind of stuff.

"I hope you don't mind me asking you to open that box." I pointed to another unopened box.

Without a word, Ethan reached out for a cutter to cut the tape seal from the box and opened it. He took a handful of clothes out and put them on our pile. We are going to be doing this together for quite a time, I thought.

"Thanks. Do you enjoy folding clothes?"

"Weirdly yeah, but not what you're thinking. I just don't get bored right away while doing this task."

"I see. Let's get to it then."

Silence again and we were halfway folding what was in our pile when Ethan poured out all the contents from the box that he opened earlier to our pile. I didn't say anything although I'm too tense now. Goodness! He's my crush and I like him very much and he's unknowingly doing me a favor by staying close to me.

"Remember the party where we hang out?" Ethan asked.

"Yeah." I answered, how can I forget that?

"I thought, there was something between us."

I kind of had a jittery feeling when Ethan said, "What do you mean something?"

"As you know... we might be friends and will hang out."

"I've been meaning to hang out with you but I don't have your number and I don't know how to contact you. I don't know why I get shy when we run into each other anywhere." I said.

The rest of the night until two in the morning, Ethan and I were talking. We didn't just do the folding of the clothes but we also placed the goods in their plastic bag, we also boxed the pack of goods and many other things.

I think it's safe to say that I was with Ethan all night until two in the morning.

Always,

Sandra