August 30, 2017

Dear World,

I didn't expect my eighteenth birthday not to be celebrated. Mom's restaurant encountered a problem right now. It's not on the verge of closing or bankruptcy, thank goodness but she can't close it down for an exclusive party for my birthday. Maddie tried to cheer me up about it and gave me a handmade birthday card.

Last night, my parents went into my room and apologize that we cannot celebrate my birthday today due to some financial problems. I have already noticed that we are slipping and the budget is getting tight. Not that this is the first that we experience this anyway. They weren't able to save up money or have extra cash for today to throw a party for me. We only have an everyday meal because that's what they can afford for now.

I'm not angry or upset with my parents. I understand, I'm an adult right this day and I should act like one. I kind of took this as an adult gift. This is real life, and there are ups and downs. It just happened that it occurs on my birthday. I received a text from Charlotte greeting me Happy Birthday.

Around seven in the evening, we were setting up the table for our dinner when we heard the doorbell ring. Mom decided to get the door and we just continue with our chores. A few moments later she came back with William following her.

"Hi, Sandra." he greeted. "Good evening, everyone."

"Hey, Bill." dad greeted.

"I heard that it's your birthday, Sandra. I would like to give you this gift personally. I hope I'm not disturbing your family dinner."

"Oh no, not at all, young man. Give your gift." dad said.

"Thank you, Mr. Keira."

William then went near to me and handed me a wrapped flat gift. When I took it, it was like cardboard of some sort.

"Thank you, Willliam. You didn't have to."

"It's nothing, you're my friend. I hope you like it."

"Thank you, really."

"Are you going to join us for dinner, William?" mom asked.

"No, but thank you, Mrs. Kiera. Mom is waiting for me. I just told her that I'll be dropping Sandra's gift."

"Well then thank you for dropping by." mom turned to me, "Accompany him out, Dear."

I didn't wait to be told twice and show William the way out. I was clutching his gift for me on my chest. The gift makes me feel very special. When William step out of the house I called him.

"Your gift— I haven't opened it but it makes me feel special." and before I would chicken out, I ran up to him and kiss him on the cheek. "Thank you."

"You're welcome, Sandra."

William turn to leave and I was still blushing like an idiot watching his retreating form.

Always,

Sandra