101. Ruined Plans

2 months later, mid May

When Michael heard that the boss was letting everyone off work early on Friday, the idea to steal Sara from the dog care center and take her to dinner immediately popped in his head.

It was gonna do them good to finally be able to go out and fully enjoy the night life of Manhattan. True it was that New York never really slept and on some days the engineer found it fascinating as he stared down at all the traffic and people from his bedroom window while Sara slept peacefully curled up on one side.

But he never stayed on the window for long, his wife much more fascinating and interesting to look at than the never dying street lights. Michael loved the way thinking of her as his wife made him shiver so pleasantly. Even more he loved lying next to her and hugging her tiny body next to his as they slept.

They finally had it all. They were happy. True, a little overwhelmed with busyness but they never let the work and normal day to day things kill the romance between them.

So, accompanied by the beautiful bouquet of red roses in his hand, Michael eagerly exited his car, ignoring the light rain that had spread all over the big city, wetting his too expensive gray suit, and made his way to the entrance of Sara's work place.

As always, the dog care center was full of people, some were whole families and Michael watched as their kids excitedly asked their parents to adopt a doggo. And as the engineer walked further, his blue eyes settled on a young couple that was holding hands lovingly as they looked around for the perfect doggo to buy perhaps.

It reminded him of when he took Sara to one of those centres in Chicago and they adopted Blue almost 7 months ago. It had felt magical. Remembering the big smile on Sara's face as she played with the dogs or the pure love in her eyes when he had offered her to have a dog on their own. This moment held a special place in his heart.

But now as he looked around the place, Sara was no where to be found. Maybe in his little reminiscing spectacle he hadn't paid attention to where he was going, but he knew he wouldn't miss his wife if he saw her even if he was distracted.

And somehow, his blue orbs seized up a familiar face just a few feet away. Marla was it. Sara's new friend from here. So with the hope of her helping Mike to find Sara, the engineer walked the short distance to where the brown haired woman was petting a small golden retriever puppy.

"Hi, Marla, right?"

Michael had seen the woman hang out with Sara a few times, but he didn't pay attention to it much, since the only woman in his eyes was Mrs. Scofield. His one and only beautiful wife.

Marla looked away from the cute puppy and when her green eyes observed Michael she stood up and a friendly smile grazed her slightly chubby cheeks. She looked like a kind person.

"that would be me and you're Sara's husband, right?"

Her eyes were glinting with mischief and her voice was inviting and polite as the woman unconsciously played with the small bone toy in her hands. Michael wasn't stupid.He knew he was a charming man, so the way Marla subtly checked him out didn't go unnoticed by the engineer but it wasn't appreciated either

In fact, that was the farthest thing on his mind. All he wanted was to go gift Sara this beautiful red bouquet, kiss all over her gorgeous face and take her to dinner. She had trifted a very beautiful dress recently that she complained she had no where to go with and Michael was looking to change that very soon.

Yea. Have you seen Sara? "

Michael questioned, his oceanic eyes still in hope to catch a glimpse of Sara somewhere. But, unfortunately for him, everyone but her was here. Maybe she had gone to the bathroom.

Marla's brows knitted together in thought for a second and she just like Michael looked around the place for a second.

"she left around noon I think. Said something about a meeting"

Sara's co-worker's response immediately piqued Michael's interest and now it was his turn to knit his brows together in confusion. A meeting? And leaving early? Sara hadn't said anything about a meeting when they were having breakfast this morning. Or about leaving early.

"Hey?.. Hey?..."

" sorry, what? "

Michael murmured distractedly, his eyes unfocused and his mind was wandering around in thought. What the fuck was Sara up to? Michael knew he was probably overthinking it and it was nothing but he couldn't suppress that familiar sting of anxiety that he hadn't felt in a long time.

" I said is everything okay?"

Marla asked, her lips pursed together in curiosity but Michael hardly paid her attention.The place suddenly became a little too hot for him and with his free hand the engineer hastily loosened his black tie. He just needed to see Sara and possibly get answers to his questions. Which were a dozen in his mind right now.

"yes, thank you"

Michael said in an unconscious hurry and turned towards the entrance of the centre, but just as he was about to exit through the doors he heard Marla yell after him

"what?" Michael couldn't hide the small irritation that was slowly crawling in every his vein the more this woman held him up.

"nice flowers" she commented with a grin, but he didn't even answer and just left through the glass doors hurriedly

Suddenly the so light and gracious bouquet of flowers became heavy in his right hand as he climbed in his Audi.
And of course to worry him even more, when Michael tried to call Sara her phone went straight to voicemail.

What the fuck...