{ 45 }

── ──

"If he really is a rat, it won't hurt him."

Ron hesitated but he eventually held out Scabbers. Lupin took him and Scabbers began to squeak loudly without stop.

"Ready, Sirius?"
"Together."

They both pointed their wands at Scabbers. At the count of 3, a flash of blue-white light erupted from both wands.

For a moment, Scabbers was frozen in midair before falling to the floor and there was another flash of light. Then, a head was sprouting and limbs were popping out, a man now stood where Scabbers once did.

He was a short man. His hair was unkempt and he had a large bald spot. His skin was grubby. He looked around at all of them with big watery eyes and he kept looking to the door.

Y/n walked to the door, leaning against it with her arms crossed. Her body now acting as a barricade. She was taller than Pettigrew and had more muscle than him. So if he tried to escape, she knew that she could stop him.

"Well, hello Peter. Long time no see." Lupin spoke pleasantly. "Sirius! Remus! My friends!" Pettigrew's voice was squeaky. "My old friends!"

"We've been having a little chat about what happened to Lily and James." Lupin told him, stopping Black from pointing his wand. "You don't believe him, do you? He tried to kill me!" Pettigrew squeaked. "So we've heard."

"He killed Lily and James and now he's going to kill me too! You've got to help me, Remus!" Lupin stared at him dully. "No ones going to try to kill you until we sorted things out."

They continued to talk, but Y/n was more focused on Pettigrew's body language. He was scared, sweating and he kept looking to the barred window and the only door where Y/n stood. He wanted to escape.

"You don't believe this madness, do you Remus?"
"I don't understand why an innocent man would want to spend 12 years as a rat?"
"Innocent but scared!"

"This man has been sleeping in Harry's dormitory for years, how come he's never tried to hurt Harry?" Hermione asked. "There! Thank you! You see, Remus? I've never hurt a hair on Harry's head."

"Umm... Mr. Black, uh Sirius, how did you escape Azkaban?" Hermione asked. "I don't know... I think the only reason that I never lost my mind was because I knew I was innocent."

"Harry was the reason for Voldemort's downfall... if Pettigrew delivered him, who was to say he betrayed them?" Y/n sighed out, loud enough for them to hear.

Sirius nodded in agreement. "When they opened my door to give me food, I slipped past them as a dog. I was thin enough to slip through the bars. I swam back to the mainlands and have been living in the forest as a dog."

"Except for the Quidditch match. You fly as well as your father, Harry. And you have his skills as a Chaser, Y/n." Black told them. "Believe me... believe me." He sighed.

"I never betrayed James and Lily. I would've died before I ever betrayed them." He looked to Harry. Harry didn't utter a word but he nodded. Then he looked to Y/n. Y/n met Black's eyes and nodded as well.

"No! Sirius it's me! It's Pettigrew, your friend!" Pettigrew was on his knees, his hands clasped onto Sirius's robes as he begged Sirius. Sirius kicked him back. "There's enough filth on my robes without you touching them."

"Remus! You don't believe this, do you? Why didn't he tell you they switched the plan?"

"I assume it's because he thought I was a spy. Am I right, Sirius?" Lupin looked to Sirius. "Forgive me, Remus."