{ 56 }

── ──

It was now dinner time. When Y/n walked into the Great Hall, she spotted Harry and Ron talking to Malfoy.

He was reading the Daily Prophet. "And there's a picture, Weasley!" Malfoy spat with distaste. "A picture of your parents outside your house, if you can even call it a house."

He spoke snootily. "Your mother can do with losing a bit of weight." Ron was shaking in fury. "Get stuffed, Malfoy!" Harry shouted.

"Oh yeah? You were staying with them for the summer, weren't you? So, tell me, is the mother really that porky, or is it just the picture?" He sneered.

Ron looked so close to leaping forward, Hermione and Harry held him back. "And your mother, Malfoy?" Harry sneered back. "That expressions she's got? Like she's got dung on her nose, does she always look like that? Or was it just because you were there?"

Malfoy's pale face finally got some color in him as he went slightly pink. "Don't you dare insult my mother, Potter!"

"Keep your fat mouth shut then." Harry spoke cooly before turning away with Ron and Hermione.

Malfoy pulled his wand out but there was a loud shout, "oh no you don't!" and in a whir, Professor Moody was pointing his wand at a white ferret.

No one spoke a word. No one moved except for Moody. "Leave it!" He shouted to Crabbe who was about to pick up the ferret.

Alicia, who was standing beside Y/n, gently pulled on her robes. "Is that—" "I think so..."

The ferret tried to escape but it was then shot into the air by Moody. "I don't like people who attack when their opponent's back's turned." He sneered as he continued to bounce the ferret in the air. The ferret squealed.

Y/n had to admit, she was enjoying this. If that ferret was Malfoy, it was a well deserved punishment.

"Professor Moody!" McGonogall had shouted as she made her way towards Moody. "What- What are you doing?"

"Teaching." Moody responded. "Teaching?! Moody, is that a student!?" She shrieked.

"Technically, it's a ferret." He shrugged his shoulder slightly. McGonogall pulled her wand out and with a quick snap, Malfoy had reappeared.

He got to his feet, wincing. "Moody, we never use transfiguration as punishment!" She said, sternly. "Surely, Professor Dumbledore told you that!"

"He might've mentioned it, yeah." Moody responded. "My father will hear about this!" Malfoy had shouted. "Oh yeah?" Moody limped forward. "Well, I know your father, boy."

Alicia nudged Y/n. "I'm hungry." Y/n nodded. "Yeah, let's go eat." They walked over to their table, sitting down.

There was chatter all around them about what had just happened.

Angelina looked to Y/n. "Fred told us what happened... are you okay?" She asked, concern laced within her voice and eyes.

Y/n gently smiled, nodding. "I am, really. And after what he just did, he's pretty cool... a maniac... but cool nonetheless."

Fred sat beside Ron and Harry. "Moody, how cool is he?" George came up. "Beyond cool." Lee joined in. "Super cool."

"I had him this morning." Fred said. "We had him this afternoon." George and Lee said.

Alicia shook her head, disagreeing with what the boys were spouting. "Either way, what he did was wrong."

"He's trying to prepare us. He knows what it's like out there." Y/n told her. "I think... it gives you a real life close up on what it's like."

Alicia scoffed, rolling her eyes. "Yes, because watching a spider be tortured and killed was the real life close up I want in life." She spoke sarcastically. "Or you know, seeing my best friend clearly disturbed."

Y/n sighed, looking at her. Alicia sighed as well, taking a sip of her pumpkin juice. "I'm sorry... it bothers me that you're brushing it aside as if it didn't bother you."

Angelina gently took ahold of Alicia's hand from across the table. Y/n hugged her side. "Thank you for caring."

Alicia chuckled. "Well, if I don't, who will?"

── ──

Thursday came around. Ron was ecstatic to have Moody's lesson that day.

But when dinner time came around, Y/n could see that Moody taught them that same lesson and she soon came to learn that poor Neville Longbottom had experienced the same thing she did.

Disturbance.

Y/n quietly ate her dinner, her friends chattering all around her.

The thudding of a wooden leg caught her attention and made her raise her head.

Professor Moody was standing in front of her. "Potter, come to my office. We need to have a word." He began to walk away.

Y/n looked to the faces of her friends, all were as confused as she was. She stood up, gently gripping Fred's hand, to ease his tension and walked after Professor Moody.

Looking back for a moment, she caught Harry's gaze. He nodded his head, as to ask "what's going on" to which she replied with a shrug.

── ──

The two walked into Moody's office.

"I understand the lesson may have been disturbing." Moody went straight to business. "But you have to learn. You have to."

Y/n didn't respond, she merely stared at him. "I understand that, Professor." She finally responded.

"Professor McGonogall tells me you have quite the knack for transfiguration. That you're training to become an animagus."

Y/n nodded, feeling a bit of pride within her.

"Have you been able to fully transform?" He asked her. Y/n shook her head. "No, I find it very difficult. I can only get parts of it down like the fingers... but never fully."

She lied. If they knew she could transform she'd have to register as an animagi. And she wanted to bask in the freedom for just a bit more time.

"I see." Moody walked over to his desk and took out a book. "This may help. It has tips on becoming an animagi." He handed her the book.

She took it, smiling slightly. "Thank you, Professor."

She was then excused from his office and she made her way to the common room.

It was empty when she walked in so she made her way to her dorm and quickly went to sleep, with her new book at her pillow side.