Chapter 355

Matt's POV: After spending the past 45 minutes putting out the fire, I watched as the guys cleaned up the scene. Turning to look at Chiefs Walker and Patterson. Going to shake their hands, I smiled at them. "Thank you both for your help." Walker nodded and agreed with me. "No problem Casey. You got a good crew here." I then looked at them. "Okay, now this is probably something I should've asked first. What do we do when it comes to reports? Do both of our firehouses do reports or...how does that work?" Patterson then looked at me. "The house that was in command of the fire is required to submit the report. However, the assisting house will also provide a report telling them what they did. You were commanding."

I nodded and agreed with him. "Yes, yes I was. Walker, I will get my paramedics to send you a report too." He agreed and nodded. "Patterson, if you don't mind...I'd like to speak to Chief Casey alone." Patterson nodded and agreed. Shaking his hand again, I smiled at him. "Patterson, I'd recommend you start putting Cordova on a leadership track okay? I will send a letter of recommendation if required. He is able to switch houses and work very well with the both of us. I think that is a great quality in a Lieutenant." He agreed and nodded as he went to grab his radio. "I will take that into consideration Chief Casey. But, we are full right now."

I agreed and nodded at him. "Have a good day chief Patterson." He nodded and agreed before walking away to leave with his crew. Turning to look at Severide, I smiled. "Severide, Hermann, Norwood...get your trucks back to the firehouse. I will be right there." Severide nodded and agreed as he went to get his guys in the trucks so that they could all head back to the firehouse. Meanwhile, I went to look at Chief Walker. "You needed to speak to me?" Walker nodded. "Tremendous work today. But, may I ask why you delegated the paramedic duties to me?" I sighed when he said that. "Are you mad/disappointed that I did that?"

He shook his head. "No, it looked like you had the scene under control." I bit my lip. "Honestly, I am trying to separate myself from the ambulances as much as possible. If there is another chief on scene, I try and get them to take command. Someday, I expect my sister-in-law to return to Ambo 61. By just getting in the habit of delegating whenever I can, it helps." He agreed and nodded. "If you want me to transfer her out..." I shook my head. "No, I would like to keep her at my house. I already promised my brother-in-law I would look out for her. And believe me, I do not want to get into an argument with my golden glove boxer brother-in-law."

Walker shook his head when I did that. "Honestly, it was a good move. You delegate as much as you want to make sure that everything is done correctly." I nodded. "But me making that order even if I delegated?" He understood what I was talking about. "At the end of the day, it is your scene and you need to take control of it. Casey, I get you are still nervous but Boden wouldn't have recommended you for this role if he didn't think you are ready." I nodded and smiled when he said that. "Thanks Chief. But listen, I need to get going. I have my wife and kids back at the firehouse." Walker then smiled at me. "Mind if I join you? Wouldn't mind seeing Gabby again."

I smiled when he said that. "That and I would love to meet your kids." I agreed. "Just promise you won't try and convince her to rejoin the CFD. She isn't coming back. Our son might have mental health issues. We are seeing the signs. So, she is going to stay home probably. Plus, she already has mental health issues so...yeah, not a good idea." He nodded and understood. "That why you like taking the nights off?" I nodded and agreed with him. "Yeah, I like going home and helping with the babies. Now listen, how about you get in your car and head back to the house? I will be right there. My overnight chief stuck me with a low gas tank." 

Walker nodded when I said that. "I heard you were doing shift work. How does that work?" I smiled when he asked. "I word 9-9 two days in a row. So, instead of a 24 hour shift...I do 24 hours over 48 hours. Then, you get 48 hours off like normal. I prefer it. Allows me more time at home. Plus, it allows me an opportunity to go home and sleep in my bed overnight. I am going to suggest it at our meeting. Honestly, 24 hours is horrible for firemen who have kids. Speaking of kids, I need to go because I am certain that my kids want to see me." Walked nodded and smiled.

"I will see you there okay?" I nodded and smiled when he said that before going to get in my Jeep to go top up the gas tank. Meanwhile, Walker got in his vehicle and made his way to Firehouse 51 so that he could go see Gabby and the kids.