Chapter 420

Matt's POV: After making my way back to my office, I sighed as I went to sit down and looked at my wedding band. I then went to rub my eyes and sighed considering I knew that was rude of me to do. Opening up my e-mails, I then went to start checking on them. I then went to take out my note pad and went to make some updated lists for Severide and Hermann of information that they needed to give me about all of their men. Most importantly furlough time left. That's when I heard a knock at the door. Looking up, I saw Gabby. "Hey, all good?"

Gabby then looked at me. "Yeah, just wanted to talk after that in there." I sighed and nodded. "Listen, can we talk when I have a spare later? I just asked Severide and Hermann to join me in a minute. I need to talk to them about Lee Henry's progress." Gabby then nodded as she walked in, looking at me. "Matt, you promised you would put us first when it comes to problems in our marriage." I then sighed. "Gabby, this is about firehouse stuff though. I am sorry if me telling you something as your boss is not something I want to discuss. I am your chief."

Gabby then sighed and understood. "Gabby listen, I am sorry if this is hard. It's your first day and I am going to give you a break but...you need to remember that I am having just as hard of a day as you." Gabby then looked at me. "Yeah, because reintigrating is a lot harder than what you have to do." I then looked at her before going to grab all of the folders I have on my desk. "Furlough requests, health and safety reports for the firehouse, health insurance renewal forms, new material requests, grocery request and reimbursement requests for firehouse."

Gabby then bit her lip and sighed. "I am sorry Matt, you're right." I then let out a sigh and walked over to her. "Hey, I'm sorry. This is not how I wanted to start off your time at the firehouse. I am so sorry Gabby." I then went to hug her and held her close. Kissing her head, I sighed when I saw Severide and Hermann walk over. Putting my hand up, I went to ask them for 5 minutes with Gabby. They both nodded and agreed. Going to close the door, I smiled when Severide did that. Meanwhile, Gabby let do and turned around. "Were they?" I nodded.

I then went to lean against the edge of my desk and looked at Gabby. "Listen, you are more important than that right now. You are always going to be more important. You are the woman I love and sorry if I made you feel bad." Gabby then sighed as she looked at me and put her hands on my chest. "And I am sorry I already caused drama." I nodded and agreed with her before moving to kiss her softly. Holding her close while she put her hands on my chest, I then wrapped my arms around her. "Hey just listen and look at me okay?"

Gabby nodded as she looked at me. "I'm just Matt right now okay?" Gabby smiled when I said that. "I am just worried okay? I don't want to see somebody attack you for being so bossy. Gabby, you are their equal now and you are going to be with them. I don't want you to get overwhelmed and come to realize this was a mistake. It isn't okay. This is where you belong. You have always belonged here." Gabby nodded when I said that. "But, I am also not going to always be there to be the referee. And I am not going to always be on your side."

Gabby then stared at me. "Gabby, this is already tricky enough. Babe, I had to jump through hoops to make sure you were here becuase of your anxiety. But babe, you need to understand that I made a promise to the higher ups that you being here will not cause me to be distracted." Gabby just listened as I continued. "Gabby, if someone reports me to the higher ups for being biased towards you, they will change you houses and I will not have a say in it this time around. Babe, you need to calm down and understand that this is for the best."

Gabby nodded and understood. "I should've realized that was why, and I am sorry." I nodded and went to rub her arms. "Now, here is how we are going to end this. You are going to look at me and do your breathing for me okay?" Gabby nodded and went to do her breathing exercises that we have been leaning to help both her and Matteo with to deal with their anxiety. Once she was done, I looked at her. "Listen, we will talk again later okay? Right now, I need to be chief. Yes, I am always your husband but..." Gabby just kissed me quickly and shut me up. "I get it."

I smiled when she said that and then went to hug her one last time. "Have a good first day back. I am rooting for you to have a good day. And I promise not to bark at you too much. I know how much you hate it. Or is it the other way around....you find it attractive." Gabby then smacked my chest when I said that. "You behave or else I am not giving you attention tomorrow." I then smiled as I grabbed her hand. Letting her go, I smiled as she walked away to go out. She then looked at Hermann and Severide. "He's all yours boys."

I laughed when she said that and flashed her a quick smiled as she walked away. I then went to sit down at my desk so that I could talk to Hermann and Severide. And that's when I got the question I knew was coming from Hermann. "Okay, before we start...are you guys okay?"