Chapter 421

Matt's POV: When Hermann asked me if we were okay, I sighed and looked at him. "Honestly, I hope we are. This is just stressful. It was one thing being above her when she was on my truck as the candidate. It's another when she works for me as the paramedic-in-chief. So, right now I am in this situation where I am literally in the doghouse if I say anything wrong." Severide nodded and agreed with me before sighing. "I hate being in that position." I agreed with him. "But listen, we are not here to talk about my problems with Gabby. That's private."

I then went to grab something from my desk which are due to the firehouse. "Please distribute these to your men." Severide was confused when he saw the envelopes. "It's your first post-friday shift. You want to be paid?" He then laughed when I said that. "Right, of course." Hermann then smiled. "Oh, that reminds me...I owe you and Gabby your dividends for February still." I then sighed. "Just combine them with the march dividends." Hermann agreed and nodded while Severide just looked confused. "Molly's. We still own part of the restaurant."

Severide nodded and agreed with me. "Okay, now down to the business of why we are in here. Hermann, you are not to talk right now. You are in here because you are his dad." He then realized we were going to talk about Lee Henry. "I want an update on Lee Henry's candidacy/fire school progress. Where do you think he has mastered the trade and what do you think he needs to work on?" Severide then looked at us both. "I have permission to speak freely right?" I nodded and looked at Hermann. "Yes, you have permission to do so."

He agreed and nodded. Severide then let a sigh out and looked at him. "He's slow. Honestly, I am shocked that he even passed that part of school. He needs to run more and get faster. I am not even sure if he is a good squad candidate. He doesn't seem interested in doing the searching part. I think he just wants to do the hoses and stuff. Honestly, I think he would be better suited for Truck or Engine." I sighed when he said that. "Have you raised these concerns with Stella?" Severide nodded and agreed with me. "She said that she's ready to take him on."

I then sighed and thought about it. "And you are positive that there is no room for him on Squad? You don't see him fitting there?" Severide shook his head. "No, and I have tried a lot over the past month to try and find a place for him and encourage him to do more squad things but...he is more suited for Truck in my opinion." I agreed and sighed when he said that. "Hermann, I want you to talk to Lee Henry. Ask him what he wants to do. I saw him in today. Severide, until we have a change...can you keep him on Squad for today?" Severide nodded.

"Yeah but, I would like you to speak to him as soon as possible Hermann. His term ends in 2 weeks. April 1st, he is scheduled to begin coming into buildings with us. Hermann, if he doesn't want to do Squad...then I need to know. And if he does, then he needs to stop helping with the houses and he needs to start doing stuff with me. In fact, I want to start taking him out on Squad calls Matt. If that's what he wants to do...then enough with the truck calls. He needs to see what we do. If he doesn't like it, then feel free to take him off my hands. Today, he's mine."

I looked at Hermann and then nodded. "Sorry Hermann but, I need to agree with Severide. He has made it clear that he wants to be on squad and his term does end in 2 weeks. So effective immediately, you are no longer to interact with him when we are out in the field. If he speaks to you, you are to direct him to Severide. You are no longer his commanding officer, that is Severide." Hermann nodded and agreed with me. I then went to grab my phone and sent a text to Gabby. "Guys, just stay here a minute. I will get him to come." They both agreed and nodded. "Get a third chair." I then went to text Gabby.

'Can you ask Lee Henry to come join us in the office please?'

Meanwhile, in the Common Room - Gabby's POV:
After getting a text from Matt saying he wants Lee Henry to join him in the office, I went to look at him as he finished breakfast for Matt. "Lee Henry, chief wants to see you in his office. Can you bring that to him? Oh and say that coffee was made by me. You do not get to claim credit when I made it the way he likes it." Lee Henry nodded and agreed. "Of course Gabby. Sorry again about the rudeness." I nodded and agreed. "I used to be your boss." He agreed and nodded while walking away to go bring Matt his breakfast and speak to him.

'He's on his way right now with some breakfast for you. Please eat."

I then went to set my phone down when Sylvie went to sit next to me. "So, tell me the truth...are you and Matt okay?" I then sighed when she asked me. "Can you promise me that this won't get back to Antonio? Sorry Sylvie, I get you are my best friend but...you are also my sister-in-law." Sylvie nodded and agreed. "Of course. What's up with you guys?" I was about to talk to her when the overhead system went.

"Ambo 61 to Lakeshore & Jameson - Sprained Ankle (Heels)"

I then looked at Sylvie. "The things people call 911 for now." We both nodded and agreed with each other as we got up and went to run out to the Ambo so that we could go take the call.

NOTE: I am going to write about the Ambo call for once. I haven't done one before and I want to try. Let me know what you guys think!