Chapter 424

30 Minutes Later when Matt & Gabby come back from the Cafeteria:
Matt's POV: As me and Gabby came back upstairs to her mom's room, I smiled because we were currently in a better place than we were when I first got here. While we were downstairs, we took a minute to talk and just clear the air. I needed to remind Gabby that I am her husband first and than I am here for her. After I did that, we decided that it was time to make our way back upstairs so that we could be with her mom. Walking into her room, we smiled and looked at Maggie.

Maggie then smiled at us. "I heard your mom was here, thought I'd come help out." Gabby laughed when she said that before walking over to her. She then hugged her and smiled. "How are you Maggie? I am not sure we've seen each other much." Maggie smiled. "I am just glad you are back on Ambo. Means I am going to be able to see a lot more pictures of that adorable son of yours that I helped give birth to. How is little Matteo anyways?" Gabby smiled. "He's great."

I then went to grab my phone so I could show Maggie an updated picture when I got a call from the house. I then sighed while looking at Gabby. "It's the firehouse." Gabby sighed and nodded. "Go take it." I agreed and nodded, kissing her head before walking awya to take it. Putting the phone up to my head, I went to speak to whoever called me. "Casey." That's when I heard Hermann. "Hey Chief, I was just wondering what was up? You all good or are you leaving shift?" Shit, I hadn't even thought about that. Am I staying on or am I going to go back to shift?

"Uhm, I am still figuring that out. Gabby's mom is in the hospital right now. So, I am here to support her. I already took Ambo 61 out of service so that she can be here. I will have to talk to Gabby about what she wants to do. However, I am going to have to come back. Let me just talk to Gabby and I will try and sneak out of here." That's when I heard Gabby come out. "You leaving?" I then sighed as I turned to look at her. "Hermann, I'll call you right back, okay?"

Hanging up, I looked at Gabby and walked up to her. I then sighed while putting my hands on her arms. "Gabby, I am here for you. If you want me to leave shift...I will try and figure something out. If you are okay, then I am going to have to go back soon. I can't leave the firehouse unattended for too long. If the higher ups come and I am not there..." Gabby then understood and nodded as she leaned up and kissed me softly. "You go back to the house. We'll follow." 

Looking at her, I could just tell she was too distracted to be good on shift. "Gabby, I hate to do this but...I am going to ask you this. You sure you don't wnat to take the rest of shift off. I know this was just want we talked about but, I know how worried you get when your family is in hospital. I don't want to put your life at risk by sending you out on runs if your head isn't all there. And this isn't me talking as your chief. It's me talking as your husband who is worried."

Gabby then stepped close to me and went to grab my hands. She then intertwined our fingers and nodded, understanding why I have to ask. "Gabby, if you want to stay here with your mom. I understand and I will take care of it. I will get you both a replacement. But, I need you to tell me what you want. I am not going to do what just made you mad at me." Gabby then went to wrap her arms around me and smiled. "You sure you don't mind?" I then shook my head. "Not at all."

Gabby smiled when I said that before leaning up to kiss me softly. "I am just going to stay until I am better. I am still going to come spend the night. I already told you that I am not ready to leave you. I need you tonight." I nodded and understood. "Listen, let me talk to Sylvie. If she wants to continue on shift...then she can give me a ride. Then, I can leave you my chief truck and you can come join me at the firehouse when you are ready. Stay the night, please babe. I am worried."

Gabby nodded and agreed with me. "I am going to stay the night. But, I am going to go get changed at home. If you want, I can bring the kids." I thought about it and smiled. "I would love that. But only if it doesn't overwhelm you." Gabby then went to wrap her arms around me. "Listen, we can talk later okay? Just know that I am not leaving the firehouse. I am staying and I am not getting pushed out. This is just a special circumstance. You would do the same if it was..."

I then just went to kiss her, shutting her up because she was starting to ramble. "Just relax okay? I understand. Now, I am going to get Sylvie. I will see you at the firehouse with my car." She agreed and nodded. "Or Antonio can give me a ride. I doubt he's going back to work." I then shrugged. "Make up your mind. You want my car or you want Antonio?" That's when I heard Sylvie come out. "Antonio can give her a ride. You need your truck. I need the Ambo."

I nodded and agreed. "Can you talk to Antonio Gabby? I will see you later at the firehouse." Gabby nodded when I said that. "I will get him to bring me to the firehouse. I can grab the Tesla and do what I need. Now, what do we tell your mom?" I then bit my lip. "I will call her and tell her what's up. I'll say you need some time and I want you to be near me right now so I can be there for you. I am positive she will understand." Gabby nodded and smiled when I said that.

I then went to kiss her one last time, smiling as we held each other close. "I love you, see you later okay?" She nodded and agreed as I looked at Sylvie. "Let's go Sylvie. Oh, can I tell the firehouse?" Gabby then shook her head. "I will when I am there." I agreed and nodded as I grabbed her hand. "I love you. See you later." Gabby nodded and smiled as I walked away to go back to the firehouse with Sylvie.