Chapter 410

An hour later when the crew is back at Firehouse 51:
Matt's POV: As I walked into the house, I sighed as I turned to look at my captains who just got out of their trucks. "Everybody, head inside and don't bother Gabby...she is here to talk to me. I just need to talk to my captains quickly." They all agreed and nodded as they went to take off their things. Taking off my jacket and going to put it in the Jeep along with my pants, I then came back to Severide and Hermann. "Tell me guys, in how much shit am I in with Gabby?"

Severide laughed when I said that. "I would say you are in a mixed situation. If you want me to talk to her first...I can. But, I am not sure if me telling her that you came in to help me find her best friend's psycho ex-husband is going to help much. In fact, it might just make it worse considering that is a horrible situation. Who knows what that guy could've done." I then nodded and agreed. "By the way Severide, I want you to go to the CPD after shift. Defend your actions."

Severide then looked at me. "You mean when I..." I nodded and sighed. "I get we had the permission to use force but...I just want to cover my bases okay? I want to make sure that the CPD know that Halstead gave us permission to use force when we found him." Severide nodded and agreed with me. I then sighed and just thought about Gabby. "Now, wish me luck. I need to go talk to Gabby. I am not sure whether this will land me in the dog house or not. So, yeah..."

Both Hermann and Severide laughed when I said that. Meanwhile, I turned around to go walk into the firehouse. That's when I saw Gabby in my bedroom office. She had some things and was obviously thinking of staying the night. Walking in, I went to knock on the door. "You are going to stay the night?" Gabby then turned to look at me and sighed. "The kids are asleep and my head is going to be everywhere after what I just witness." I then nodded and agreed with her.

Gabby then walked up to me and came to hug me. "I am sorry I went to the scene but...when I heard you go in, I was scared. I couldn't hear if something bad happened to you over the phone." I sighed when she said that before going to kiss her softly. "Gabby, still...it was wrong for you to come. And I was going in there for a reason. Stella's ex escaped. I had to help Severide find him and sedate him. I had to do it because I was the only one who could give that order if required."

Gabby then went to sit on my bed and put her hand out. Sitting next to her, I went to wrap my arm around her and looked at her. 'You mean the order to sedate him?" I nodded when she said that and sighed. "Gabby, I don't expect you to understand but...there are strict limitations to a captain's powers. And that's one of them. I couldn't put my men in a position where they had to go against one of their limitations. If I was there, I could justify the actions took in front of me."

Gabby then looked at me and went to wrap my arms around me. "I guess I was just scared to loose you. Can you sit with me for a bit?" I nodded and agreed with her as I went to take off my shoes. Moving onto my bed, I then watched as Gabby cuddled up to me. "I was so scared when I watched you go into the fire. Matt, I was actually thinking that I just watched you go in there without saying goodbye. And I hate that idea. You leaving without goodbye. It scared me."

I nodded and understood. I thought about making a joke but decided against it considering hwo insensitive it was. It was also bad timing when it came to the joke. Kissing Gabby's head, I just held her close. "So, you are staying tonight Gabby?" Gabby nodded. "You aren't mad that I asked Antonio to take the kids tonight are you?" I shook my head. "No, if you need to do that sometimes...then you need to do what you think is best for you. I will talk to him later though."

Gabby nodded when I said that before going to kiss me softly. "I think I want to start coming here with he kids again. I know I keep switching back and forth but...I am so much more worried at home. I am sorry Matt but, I need to be here for own sanity. Do you understand?" I nodded and agreed with her. "Of course. Tonight, just you okay? But listen...as much as I would love to just stay here and hold you, I need to go do a report and stuff. I'll be back later."

Gabby nodded and agreed as she went to tug on my shirt. Kissing me softly, she smiled at me. "I love you and I brought you some new clothes." I agreed and smiled. "Saw the Tesla out back." Gabby nodded. "I am still going to get you breakfast in the morning." I agreed when she said that and smiled. "Firehouse shower in the morning?" Gabby smirked and nodded. "Yes please. Now listen, you go talk to the crew and finish your stuff. I will call Antonio and give him an update."

I nodded and agreed with her, giving her one last kiss before getting up so that I could go talk to the firehouse and get my work done. Then, I was going to get in bed with her and just relax with her for as long as I could. I was actually glad she was here because it was lonely at night without her being here. This would be fun just the two of us. It would be like old times.