Chapter 401

Matt's POV:
As I walked into the conference room, I went to stand with Commissioner Grissom, Chief Walker, Captain Severide, Captain Hermann, Lieutenant Kydd and Lieutenant-Designate Cruz. Looking at the other shift, I went to stand in front of them. "Good evening gentleman." I then turned to look at Walker. "Literally, gentleman. Can we please do something about this? Maybe more women here on second shift?" Walker nodded and agreed with me. "We will work on it CHIEF Casey." He said, emphasizing the word chief for me. I then smiled when he did that.

I then went to start my shift. "I am here tonight to speak to you all about a petition that has recently surfaced. Doherty, please stand." Doherty then got nervous and slumped down in his chair. I then shook my head. "Doherty, I said please stand." Mike Doherty then got up and I looked at him. "Do you want to know the different between me and you Doherty? I am here to work, not to fool around. You have sent this petition around asking that my leadership be reviewed. Care to explain as to why you believe that my leadership needs to be reviewed?"

Doherty then looked at me. "Captain Casey..." I then stopped him. "It's Chief Casey. Try that again." He then looked at me again. "Chief Casey, with all due respect...you were not a member of the firehouse when you were appointed to replace the late Chief Boden. May he rest in peace." We all agreed with him when he said that. "That is true Doherty. But, what you don't know is that...this was Boden's final wish. He recommended me personally to be his replacement as Chief of Firehouse 51. It was in his will. And I came here to replace him because of that reason."

Doherty then looked at me. "Still, why weren't we at all asked about whether we would be okay with our former co-worker being our new Chief?" I was about to answer when Commissioner Grissom walked up to me. "Casey, I think this is where you should let me speak. This is going to be a good lesson for them. They need to know why we chose you. And they also need to know how things work if any of these gentlemen want to be offered promotion. I will tell them everything." I agreed and nodded before going to stand at the front with the leadership.

Grissom's POV:
As I stood in front of the crew of Firehouse 51, I just looked at them all in disgust. To question their new leader when they have known him for years...that is just not okay with me. I also take this personally considering I am the one who had the final say as to who I appointed as the new Chief. "Before I start...I just want to say this. To hear you all question whether Chief Casey is the right choice for this position is an insult. An insult that I take personally as I am part of the team who personally recommends promotions. That includes Captains and Chiefs."

They then all looked at me and nodded. "When I read the petition, I was disgusted. You do not know what Chief Casey's situation is. You do not understand what he is dealing with and you do not question him about it. He has already spoken to me about what problems he has to deal with at home and he has to take care of them first. He has told me that his main priority will always be his wife and children." I then saw his wife Gabriela Dawson-Casey smile at him. "Speaking of which..." I then walked over to her and when to shake her hand. "Congratulations."

Gabby then looked up at me. "On?" I then smiled. "The children. I gave my congratulations to your husband but, not you personally." Gabby then smiled as she got up and hugged me. "Thank you commissioner." She then went to sit down again. Meanwhile, I saw Matt smile at her. Turning to look at Matt, I went to invite him over to me. He agreed and went to stand next to me. "This man has given up a lot for the CFD. He has risked his life for almost 2 decades, he has almost lost his life twice. It is why he has won these countless medals. And it's why I chose him as Chief."

I then smiled at Casey. "Casey, I have no regrets in choosing you. Believe me when I say that. You have been running this house perfectly from the start and I am so glad that I chose you." Matt smiled and nodded when I said that before shaking my hand. I then turned to look at the men, inviting Casey to go stand back again. He then did so and then I decided to get though. "Now, in the CFD, we do not accept insubordination. I spoke with Captain Severide and saw the peition. So, Doherty...please stand and come here."

Doherty then got up nervous as he walked over to me. "The keys to Engine 51, your CFD badge and your CFD identification documents." He was shocked when I said that. "What?" I then looked at him. "I said give me the keys, your badge and your identification. You have been terminated from the CFD effective immediately." He was shocked when I did that before going to give me everything I asked him for. I then looked at him. "You can leave. Please take the tape off your locker and do not return."

Walking over to Casey, I then went to give him the keys to Engine 51. "You can pick a new driver." Matt then smiled. "Gabby, I am going to drive Engine for a while okay? I am going to speak to everybody before they even think I am going to just pick people who might question my leadership again." Gabby then agreed when I said that. "Of course." Matt then looked at me. "Commissioner, thank you for your help today and I believe that is a good idea. Now listen, I have agreed to start my shift and I will be staying here for the night."

He agreed and smiled. "And your officers as well?" We all agreed and nodded. "In fact...Shift 2, start packing. Shift 1, go get your things. We are going to change shifts early since you are all here." Everybody then looked at me and groaned. "Is that another request for someone to get fired?" They then shook their heads and got up to go get changed. I then turned to look at the Commissioner and smiled as I went to shake his hand. "Thank you very much." Matt then turned to look at his leadership. "I am going to lead the Commissioner out and say goodbye to Gabby. Please be in my office when I return." They all agreed and nodded.

Turning to look at the comissioner, I smiled as I went to lead him out. I then looked at Gabby and smiled as I went to grab her hand. "Let's get you on your way home." Gabby nodded and agreed as she got up, grabbed my hand and then intertwined our fingers on our way out of the house.