Chapter 427

Two hours later at the firehouse with Matt as he speaks with Chief Walker:
Matt's POV: As I spoke to Chief Walker, I sighed and just shook my head. "I just don't know what to do. Right now, I feel both like a bad chief for leaving so often but...I also feel like a bad husband for not leaving so often. I just hate to put you in a bad position all the time." Walker then looked at me as he went to set his laptop up. "You want my honest opinion?" I then nodded as I looked at him. "You guys have been rushing things since you got back. Maybe you should just do it slowly. Start working here as a firefighter, then work your way up over time."

I sighed and hadn't thought about that. "I know it's a lot to ask but...I have no clue what Gabby wants. I am scared she is getting overwhelmed. And that isn't healthy for her. I will talk to her about the whole working my way up the chain stuff. Might work better. But, would I still be chief or how would that work?" Walker then looked at me. "Listen, I am going to talk to Hermann. Maybe he can take over as Chief instead. Would you want to be Captain on Truck 81 again?" I then looked at him and thought about it. "I think that is what I need to do honestly."

That's when I heard Hermann walk by. "What's this about you taking over my spot?" I then turned to look at him. "Can we talk about it now?" Walker nodded and looked at us both. "Listen Hermann, I know this is last minute but...what do you say me and you switch places? Gabby is having problems and I don't think I have the time to do this job." Hermann then looked at me. "Do you need to clear that with the commissioner?" Walker then looked at him. "I will speak to him over the next couple days and I will give him this letter Matt gave me explaining everything."

Hermann then looked at me. "Where would you go?" I then smiled. "I would be Truck 81's Captain. I will wait until you retire to be Chief. I just can't do it anymore. Between Gabby and three kids, it's too hard. I think it's better this way." Hermann nodded and agreed. "When would this start?" I then went to pat his shoulder. "It starts now. I will be back on shift as Captain. I don't care what they say. You can act as Chief on my behalf. Walker, can you get it sorted our ASAP? I just can't deal with it when I have problems with Gabby." Walker nodded and agreed.

"Matt, I promise that you will be a chief someday." I agreed and nodded. "Thanks. But I am just not ready. I thought I was but, we just had another kid and it wasn't the time." He agreed and nodded as I went to shake his hand. "Good luck Hermann. And I still want to be Truck 81's Captain. You are giving me that job if they approve it." Hermann nods and smiled. "Can't wait. And just to let you know...Gabby and the kids are still going to be welcome here whenever they want. I am going to keep that open for you. I will keep everything you changed."

I smiled and agreed. "And if Lee Henry still wants to switch to Truck, I can take him now." Hermann chuckled and agreed with me. Meanwhile, I went to walk out of the house as Captain Casey once again.