Chapter 402

Matt's POV: After leading the commissioner out, I smiled as finished getting changed out of my dress uniform and into my day-to-day uniform so that I can take over shift. Walking out to the common room, I saw Gabby standing there with Sylvie and Cindy. Wrapping my arm around her, I smiled at her. "Hey, you understand why I am starting shift already right?" Gabby then nodded as she turned to look at me. "Hey, of course. You want to make sure there is no insubordination." I then went to kiss her and smiled as I held her close. "Tell the kids I love them and I am sorry."

Gabby knew why I said that. "It's okay Matt, you need to do this." I nodded and smiled whnen she said that before turning to look at Cindy. "Cindy, I want to tell you something. I have changed my mind about Lee Henry. He can stay here at the firehouse. I want thim here with us." Cindy then looked at me and was a bit shocked. "Really?" I nodded. "Yeah, Gabby made me see that...if Matteo wanted to be a candidate, I would want him here working under me just like Hermann wants. So, he can be my candidate here. I expect to see him tomorrow to start."

Cindy smiled when I said that. "Let me guess, weekends only?" I nodded and smiled at her. "Yes please. He can go to the academy during the week. But, I expect him here when we are on shift. I will try and talk to the academy again so he is here during our shifts. However, I am going to be here more often. I need to make sure that these people here know I am their leader. So, I am going to stop shift work for a while. I need to be here all the time now." Cindy smiled when I said that and agreed with me. "He has a new recipe ready to go for tomorrow."

Cindy smiled when I said that before coming to give me a hug. Holding her close, I smiled. "Believe me when I say this Cindy, you can trust me with both your boys. I am going to make sure that both Hermann and Coffin make their way home every night." Cindy nodded and smiled when I said that. "Does he go into fires yet?" I shook my head. "No, hoses only." That's when I saw Hermann come out after getting changed. "Good, you're still here. Need to give you this." He then went to take off his wedding band to give it to Cindy. "Right, forgot about that."

Hermann smiled and nodded. "Well, looks like your leadership is secured." I nodded and smiled. "And so is your son's spot here as our candidate. He starts tomorrow as the junior candidate again. I have reconsidered and realized...with Gabby's help that, if Matteo wanted to be a firefighter...then I would want him here at my house during his candidacy. I am going to work it out with the academy and tell them I want him back. Sorry for all the confusion." That's when I heard the District Chief come out. "I heard about that program, smart idea casey."

Turning to look at Chief Walker, I smiled and went to shake his hand. "In fact, my Captain's son here is our first candidate since I have become Chief." Walker smiled when I said that. "I have read your proposal by the way Matt. I am letting you know that I am going to co-sponsor it at our next meeting. It sounds like a great idea. The way you described the way it helps with team building is a really good point. And the sponsorship is a good idea too. Applying here is really good. Plus, saves us money by having to pay for less space. Now, is he doing all work here?"

I then looked at Cindy and Hermann. "If you want, he can do all of his class work here and come join us in real life scenarios. However, he is only doing the hoses for now. Once he is done at the academy, he can start going into the fires on my squad captain's hip." That's when I heard Severide come out. "Let me guess, you are bringing Lee Henry back?" I nodded and agreed with him. "I am tired of being so indecisive. I am the one who proposed this program and I want to show that it can be successful." Severide nodded and agreed.

Chief Walker then looked at me. "So, how is it working?" I smiled when he asked. "He comes with us to fires but, only helps with the water. Here around the house, he helps with the cooking and the chores. Meanwhile, our real candidate can refine their skills more instead of cooking. A candidate shouldn't have to worry about that. In fact, screw the cooking. Effective immediately, you grown ass men can all cook for yourselves!" Severide then stared at me. "Excuse me?" I nodded and looked at him. "What exactly does cooking have to do with a firefighter candidate?"

Hermann sighed when I said that. "You have a very good point. Now listen, we need to be ready in case there's a fire. So ladies...unfortunately we are going to need to say goodbye." Turning to look at Gabby, I smiled at her. Bringing her close, I gave her a kiss. "I will see you in the morning. Can you bring me breakfast? I love those bagels you have." Gabby smiled. "They're blueberry. I will also pick up coffee for the officers. Text me your orders boys. Oh and Matt?" I then turned to look at her. "Yeah?" She then put her hand out. "The keys?"

I nodded and agreed as I went to give her the keys to the Tesla. "See you in the morning." KIssing me one last time, Gabby then walked away. Meanwhile, I looked at my crew when the bells for the ambulance went off. Seeing Gianna and Britney go out, I watched them leave. "Weird having 2 PICs here." We all laughed when I said that. "Boys, head in. I will be there in a minute and I will talk about the changes and tell them Lee Henry is back tomorrow." They all agreed and nodded as they walked in. Meanwhile, I went to radio to the ambo.

Matt: Chief Casey to Ambo 61.
Gianna: Go ahead Chief.
Matt: Britney, you are PIC until morning. Gianna, you are PIC at shift change.
Britney: Understood chief. My partner decided to leave, hope that's okay.
Matt: I expect her back tomorrow night then. Please speak to her. I know you're friends.
Britney: Will do chief. See you later.

Walking back into the house after speaking to the Ambulance, I was ready to make the announcement regarding Lee Henry.