Chapter 399

30 Minutes Later at Firehouse 51:
Matt's POV: As I finished parking my Tesla in the parking lot at the firehouse, I smiled as I turned to look at both Gabby and Sylvie. After speaking to her, Sylvie decided to join us in her paramedic outfit too while Antonio stayed back and watched all of our kids at our place together. We were going to have supper after I secured my leadership. Turning to look at Sylvie as she sat in the front, I smiled at her. "Thanks again for coming in your uniform. Makes it much more official." Sylvie nodded and agreed. "Hey, it's what we do for family. Well, and our chief."

Going to get out of the car, I went to open Gabby's door and smiled as I went to help her out. She was wearing a paramedic outfit she had and I smiled. "That paramedic outfit looks good on you." Gabby then stepped close to me and smiled as she grabbed my jacket. Tugging me in, she kissed me softly. "You are going to defend your leadership if it's the last thing you do." I then sighed as I looked at her. "This might mean I have to come in on a daily basis." Gabby smiled and agreed. "And if you do, Matteo, me and the kids will come with you."

I then turned to look at her while grabbing her hand. "You will?" Gabby smiled and nodded as she went to kiss me softly. "Yes. Either that or we use the daycare more." I agreed and smiled when I saw Severide, Stella, Hermann, Cindy and Lee Henry walk over together. "This is a huge farce right?" I sighed as I looked at Severide when he said that. "Afraid not. By the way, thanks for coming Lee Henry. We are more powerful in numbers." That's when I heard Commissioner Grissom walk over to me. "And you are more powerful in strength when it comes to officials."

I was shocked when he was here. "Commissioner, I am shocked to see you here. Who told you?" Severide then smirked. "I may have given him a call." Grissom nodded. "It's unacceptable that I have men in my ranks at any firehouse question whether my chief is fit to be chief. That is a personal insult to me because I was the one who chose you to be the Chief of Firehouse 51 personally. It is something the Commissioner gets to do. Now, how are we dealing with this?" I then turned to look at everybody and bit my lip. "Not sure yet. I just came here."

We all laughed when I said that before nodding. "Then how about this. Button up those uniforms and we walk in together. You in the front, your captains right behind you and me walking in behind all of you. That way, it shows the other men that not only do your two captains have your back...but so does the Commissioner." I then looked at him. "Let's get the truck lieutenants to join as well. Then the entire leadership is there." He agreed when I said that and nodded. "Who is the squad Lieutenant?" I then bit my lip. "It's not official yet"

Grissom then looked at me. "Has he taken the exam?" I shook my head. "No but, he's been on squad so long that he's guaranteed to pass. Also, I think Severide has been helping him. I appointed him becuase he has triplets. Since it comes with a pay raise...I thought it was practical. Also, he is the second most senior firefighter on that truck after Severide. Grissom, not sure if you know this but...for me and Severide's graduating class, there are only me, him, and Joe Cruz left here at the firehouse." Grissom was shocked. "Wow, that's crazy."

I nodded and agreed with him as we all proceeded to walk towards the firehouse. "Now listen, I am going to speak to everybody first and I just want you there as support. If I loose control, then you are there to support me." That's when Gabby looked at me. "Shit, I forgot to grab you something. Do you want your bag so you can stay the night?" I bit my lip. "I think I will stay the night and then you can come with the kids in the morning. How does that sound?" Gabby then looked at me and nodded. "The weekends are normally quiet. You work tomorrow anyways."

Grissom then looked at us. "You guys bring your kids here?" I nodded. "They stay overnight. Like I said, I am not going to be an absent father. Don't worry, they are controlled." He agreed and nodded. "You okay to start your shift tonight?" I agreed. "Yeah sure. Gabby, you okay with that?" Gabby nodded and smiled. "If it's required to do your shift, then yes." I smiled and agreed with her. "Commissioner, then I am going to grab all of my things. Give me a minute and I will join you inside?" He agreed and nodded before walking away. Meanwhile, I went back to the car.

Going to open the trunk, I went to grab my bag as well as my laptop. I then looked at Gabby when she walked up to me. "You positive you are okay with me starting tonight and going for 36 hours straight?" Gabby nodded and agreed. "I will call my mom. She can stay tonight. Then, I'll bring the kids tomorrow and we will stay all day and night." Gabby smiled when I said that. "By the way, I want to say this...I am delaying my surgery okay? I am not going to have it when your leadership isn't secured. You okay with that?"

I nodded and agreed with her. "Of course. I am going to follow your lead. Who knows, maybe this will lead to #4?" Gabby laughed when I said that before smiling. "Nice try, you already got trimmed. That mean you are done and we are safe. We already had the surgery double and triple checked. So, we are good. Now listen, enough about us. Let's go get your Chiefdom secured." I nodded and agreed when she said that, kissing her head as we walked inside to talk to the firehouse.