Chapter 396

Gabby's POV: As I laid down in bed with Matteo, I smiled as we continued to read together as a family. We had just finished the third book (it only took 10 minutes per book) but apparently, that was enough time to tire Matt out. Turning to look at him, I smiled when I saw that he was sleeping. Looking at Matteo, I when to point to Matt. "You tired him out buddy. Let's stay quiet so that daddy can sleep. We can still read though." Matteo then looked at me and nodded.

Cuddling up to me, I smiled as I went to wrap my arm around Matteo. "You tired too buddy?" He nodded as he looked at me. "Can I sleep here too?" I then shook my head. "No buddy, this is only where we cuddle as a family...you go downstairs to bed if you want to take a nap." That's when I heard Matt start to wake up. "If he's tired...he can sleep here babe. And I wasn't sleeping...I was just resting my eyes. I'm on screens a lot at work remember? All those reports."

I nodded and understood what he meant. "You can go work on them if you want? Or you can stay awake and play with us. We just read a third book. We've only been at it for a half hour. If you are tired though Matt, take a nap. I can take him downstairs." Matt then shook his head when I said that. "Not a chance. I am not giving up precious time with my little guy." Matt then went to tickle Matteo (who just started to laugh uncontrolably) and then brought him closer.

Wrapping his arm around Matteo, he smiled as he kissed the back of his head and then held each other close. Rolling over in Matt's arms, Matteo smiled at him. "Papa, do you work tomorrow?" Matt then sighed and nodded. "Yeah buddy and the day after tomorrow too. I promise though, you are going to come to the firehouse." I smiled when he said that before going to watch Matteo cuddle up to Matt like I did sometimes. Going to lay down next to them, I smiled at them.

Matt then looked up at me. "I mean, if you are okay with that. I just feel so bad not being with him on the weekends. I am okay with doing it on weekdays because eventually...that'll be how it is when he's in school. But on weekends, I would rather we bring him to the shift. What do you think about that? The commissioner and district chief both approved us bringing them to the firehouse. He knows about your problems Gabby and if he offers...I want to take him up on it."

I looked at him and went to grab his hand. "Honestly, I love the idea of me coming with the kids. But, I am going to drive the van. You need to stay overnight Matt. That's what Boden always did but, it's when we worked 24 hour shifts. I am thinking of making the 12-12-48 shift rotation permanent for all firefighters. Having done it for a while...I find that it's better. It also allows firefighters to have full-time jobs during the day if they want them."

I smiled when he said that. "The paramedics too?" Matt nodded when I said that. "Why?" I smiled and looked at him. "If you do 12 hour paramedic shifts, I might be comfortable being a paramedic during the night. Then we can both do the overnight shifts." Matt sighed when I said that. "I have to do the day shifts. That's in case the commissioner or district chief wants to stop by...I am required to be there. He knows my schedule and he is not going to stop by in the middle of the night. I know you are used to where our schedule used to be more flexible but,..."

Grabbing his hand, I went to calm Matt down. "Matt, I understand okay? You have more responsibilities now as fire chief. I get it okay? No need to explain it to me." Matt smiled when I said that. "Have I ever told you that you are the best wife and mother in the entire world?" I smiled when he said that and nodded. "Yes, yes you have many times."

Matt then looked at me and smiled. "Listen, I know we already talked about Matteo not being a firefighter but...think maybe we can talk about it? I brought it up with some friends recently and I wanted to talk to you about it. I am not sure if I did or not..." I sighed when he said that. "We have to talk about it. I've already known this would happen eventually." Matt then bit his lip. "Do you want to do it now or is it just going to stress you out too much?"

I shook my head. "No, let's talk about it. But first...Matteo, how about you move to daddy's side of the bed? I like to cuddle up to daddy in bed." Matteo then looked up at me and smiled. "Okay mama. I can share." I smiled when he said that and nodded. Matt meanwhile went to get up and watched as Matteo moved to lay down on his side of the bed. Bending over him, he went to kiss his forehead softly. "I am just going to get us some water. Then, I am going to come sit on your side. Sit up and we can talk." I agreed and nodded as I went to give him my water bottle.

Grabbing my water bottle, Matt smiled as me before grabbing his and then walking away to head downstairs so he could fill them up for us.