March 19, 2022

A month later on the day of Gabby's first 24-hour shift back:
Matt's POV: As I stand in the shower with Gabby on the morning of her first day back as a paramedic, I smile considering we are currently having a hot make out session while our kids are still asleep. Over the past month, we have trained the kids to sleep through the night and have weaned them off breastfeeding. That was my condition for Gabby to return to the firehouse. And now that she has and she was now coming back as my paramedic-in-chief, working with Sylvie (who was also back at the firehouse) on ambo. "I swear, I am going to have to really concentrate now with my paramedic wife back."

Gabby smiled when I said that. "Thanks for getting me my PIC spot back. I know that was hard." I agreed and nodded. "Hey, you're the one that put in the work to fulfill all of my conditions for your returning. You weaned the kids off breastfeeding, you have taken your meds consistently for a month without me reminding you and you got cleared by your doctor to do heavy lifting. You got your meds readjusted and had your surgery. So, I have to honor my part of the deal as your chief. Oh and the fact that you are also my wife played a big part in me honoring my deal."

Gabby was confused when I said that. "It was?" I nodded and smiled at her. "Yeah, because you weren't going to hold back on sex if I didn't honor my bargain to let you back." Gabby smirked when I said that. "I am just glad you only have to do the shifts again. I know that was a big ask." I nodded and smiled. "They know I am a husband and father first. Now, we have to drive Matteo to daycare today. I am not leaving him with my mom all day. We can pick him up later and drive him home. Well, one of us can. I know you still have to pump sometimes. It's not gone."

Gabby nodded and sighed when I said that. "I know, that was the only part of the deal I didn't keep." She then looked down and I could tell she was ashamed. Going to kiss her forehead, I whispered to her. "Gabby, relax okay? It's normal for your milk not to have stopped yet. It took a while for Matteo too. So please babe, relax. You are just stressed because it's your first day back." Gabby nodded and agreed as she came to hug me. "Can I get a break if I need to sometimes today? I am going to be a bit hormonal. You know what I mean right? First day back. at work"

I then looked at her and nodded as I kissed her forehead. "My job as your husband doesn't end when we leave the house. You are my wife all the time. I promise Gabby, I am in this with you okay? We are going to have each other's backs. If you need to talk to me...then you talk to me and I will help you through this. I want to make sure that your head is clear if I am sending you out into the field. That is not only my job as your husband but...it's also my job as your chief. I am not going to say more than I already did because it'll create problems between us."

Gabby nodded and understood what I meant before going to kiss me softly. She then went to hug me one last time. "You get out first. I have to wash my hair. I will wake the kids up. Can you wake your mom up and start breakfast for us?" I nodded and agreed while kissing her. "Of course. By the way, be prepared to be welcomed with open arms. There's talk of a big celebration of you coming back. And don't worry about a locker, you can use my bedroom office to put your stuff down. I expect us to share a bed again." Gabby smiled and agreed with me.

She then let me go so that she could wash her hair. Meanwhile, I went to grab my towel and dried off before wrapping it around my waist. Checking the time, I looked at Gabby. "You have 20 minutes before we have to leave okay? I'll get you a bagel. I am going to eat at the firehouse. Oh by the way, I am going to be working a bit more with Lee Henry today. He's officially ours now. He just waited a bit more because he wanted to wait until the bad storm passed." Gabby nodded as she looked at me. "He like going into fires now?" I nodded and agreed with her.

"Oh boy, that'll be fun to watch. Hermann is going to skirm." I laughed and agreed with her. "Not sure who I have to worry about more. You or Hermann." I then went to grab my razor and started to shave quickly so that I could get ready. "I am going to work a bit when we get to the firehouse so, you just laugh with our friends okay? I'm sorry if it's not the same as you are used to babe." Gabby nodded and understood as she got out after me wearing a towel. "I understand Matt." She then went to rub my back. Looking at her, I was shocked. "You're done already?"

She nodded and smiled as she went to kiss me softly. "Go get ready. I will finish up here. Just don't take the black belt that I put on the bed. I know we are the same size in belts but...I have that one because it's customized. I am not completely down all the way to my goal weight. So, I am going to work out with this." I then sighed when hs esaid that. "Matt, don't even argue. I am not going to have leftover baby fat when I am working wearing a tight shirt."

I nodded and understood. Walking back over to her, I waned to wrap my arm around her. KIssing her head, I whispered to her. "I am here for you. Never forget that okay?" Gabby nodded and smiled as she turned her head. She then kissed me quickly and I smiled at her. "I will let you be and go take care of the kids now okay?" Gabby laughed and nodded as I walked away to get dressed and head downstairs. Meanwhile, she finished getting ready for her first day back.